Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA Midrange Help

The response curve that I measured with my own 2446H/2382a combination very closely matches the JBL published results found in their 2382a.pdf. So, even though the links below are for 2300 series horns equipped with 2445 drivers. The frequency response differences between a 2446 and a 2445 driver appear to be are pretty minor. In my own system, I set an active crossover point for the 2446H/2382a combination and a 2405 driver at about 7.5 KHz. Without a UHF driver, I don’t think you would like the sound of the 2382a horn unless you were to use an awful lot of active EQ.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2380a.pdf
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2382a.pdf
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2385a.pdf

Baron030

Quote Originally Posted by Baron030 View Post
    The response curve that I measured with my own 2446H/2382a combination very closely matches the JBL published results found in their 2382a.pdf. So, even though the links below are for 2300 series horns equipped with 2445 drivers. The frequency response differences between a 2446 and a 2445 driver appear to be are pretty minor. In my own system, I set an active crossover point for the 2446H/2382a combination and a 2405 driver at about 7.5 KHz. Without a UHF driver, I don’t think you would like the sound of the 2382a horn unless you were to use an awful lot of active EQ.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2380a.pdf
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2382a.pdf
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2385a.pdf

Baron030
    Hi Baron - How's the weather on the other side of the lake? It's apparently spring here - the local Sand Hill Cranes have returned for the summer (not kidding)! Anyway, definitely agree with you on the 2382A for hi fi. Spent a lot of time with EQ, crossover ptes, slopes, active, passive, you name it. It's not a hi fi horn in my estimation - sounds kind of flat, dead. Miss the high frequency compression that is part of the old JBL exponential horns. It's a trade-off. The 2382A, especially, is intended for maximum dispersion - likely a major reason D.D. used them in the Disney rig. Realistic simulation of Saturn V launch, not hi fi. But, depends on what Bill is looking for - we haven't heard back. He was indicating PA so it might be just the ticket for his app. Have a good holiday! Mike

Hi Mannermusic
    Well, I can’t say how my 2382a horns stack up against other JBL horns.
    I just don’t have any experience to go on.
    You see I went straight from a 030 system to a system inspired by Drew Daniel’s “Ancient Audiophile’s Quest for the Ultimate Home System” project.
    Unfortunately, I don’t have the room for the four 2242 sub-woofers to really complete the project.
    So, I had to just make do with the small 15” four-way satellite speakers.

Bill, I would think that for a PA a longer reach would be better.
    So, the 2380 or 2385 might give more gain before microphone feedback kicks in, and for reproducing sibilance it pretty hard to beat a ring radiator.
    And if the budget will not allow for classic JBL UHF drivers, then maybe the new JBL Selenium ST400 might work.

Baron030

Endless horn possibilities

With you, on the money. And, if you ever decide (or get a contract for) simulating a Saturn V launch, you can always add the subs! In the meantime, there is enough info here to keep Bill busy for a couple years.

Hi 2$Bill

Getting back to the subject of a PA midrange driver, you might be tempted to mount the midrange in a small box and then stack it to one side of the high frequency horn. From firsthand experience, I would not recommend it. The on axis frequency response is not affected, but moving off-axis there are some really bad sounding phase cancelations and the frequency response gets really choppy. So, the midrange driver really does need to be centered vertically under the high frequency horn for best results.

Baron030

cut away horn

A couple of custom club cabinets I built back in the 80's required a pretty low vertical profile and as mentioned, side by side MF/HF did cause some issues.

I would use the 2380 horn and would cut out a section of the lower curve/flange and it would be replaced by the top panel of the 10" mid's chamber - a little bondo and paint and it actually looked nice. Alas I didn't take any pics of them but JBL did a similar cutaway around the same time with the 2344 in their concert series 4828 wedges ( still have a pair ) .

With the pile of 2380's and 2123's sitting in the storage room I just might recreate a batch this summer...need to flex the tablesaw after a long dormancy...

Of course being past that age, would need to add a 2404 into the assembly.

Thread Information