Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL 1400 Array vs. Revel Salon 2 ..

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    How many people here would not flinch at droppping $25k, $50k, $75k, $100k on speakers..let alone $200k-$300k on an audio system?

Not too many, I bet.
    That'd be a wee bit self-indulgent don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well Revel might make "truly the World's Finest Loudspeakers" but at least they have the right loudspeakers shown on their website.

http://www.harmanluxuryaudio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    We all have opinions on all sorts of stuff....including speakers. There is no definitive answer for everyone.

Yeah...The TADs cost a boatload o' cash....and so do the Everests...and so do the Revels...and so do the new TAD Evo One.

Audio is a funny industry...and getting funnier all the time. How many people here would not flinch at droppping $25k, $50k, $75k, $100k on speakers..let alone $200k-$300k on an audio system?

Not too many, I bet.

You're essentially correct on that last point, but it's largely hypothetical isn't it? There are some people here who've spent tens of thousands on their systems. A very few did so without flinching, and the others had varying degrees of pain, fear, and doubt in the process, followed by huge bouts of second-guessing. Many had no idea they were gong to spend that kind of money until they'd been swept away by the opportunity.
    Out.

Way Off Topic...

We have ventured far from a comparison between the 1400 Array and the Revel Salon 2, but...

I agree with Dome about how easily many of us have drifted into quite outrageously expensive systems. In my case I have done this mostly by trade and like many here by collecting pieces over the years. That said, I don't really think about my stereo in terms of the dollar amount. I think about my audio systems in terms of the joy they bring me when I am playing my favorite music.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    We have ventured far from a comparison between the 1400 Array and the Revel Salon 2, but... I agree with Dome about how easily many of us have drifted into quite outrageously expensive systems. In my case I have done this mostly by trade and like many here by collecting pieces over the years. That said, I don't really think about my stereo in terms of the dollar amount. I think about my audio systems in terms of the joy they bring me when I am playing my favorite music.Widget
    Said the guy who has both a pair of Everest II DD66000s and 1400 Arrays. That's about $80k retail, isn't it? I know you could've had some Revels, too, but as you say, they're not to your liking. (See, back on thread.)

Plus aren't there some JC1 mono blocks in that mix, too? Dude, you may be the King.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Dude, you may be the King.
    Yeah, and I look just like that too.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    We have ventured far from a comparison between the 1400 Array and the Revel Salon 2, but...

I agree with Dome about how easily many of us have drifted into quite outrageously expensive systems. In my case I have done this mostly by trade and like many here by collecting pieces over the years. That said, I don't really think about my stereo in terms of the dollar amount. I think about my audio systems in terms of the joy they bring me when I am playing my favorite music.

Widget
    My wife and I were watching one of those make over programs on Home Garden TV the other day. I was watching knowing that much of what was happening on this program was resonating in my wife’s mind. We havetwo bathrooms much in need of updating. Well, sure the mods were impressive with marble sink tops and a bathtub that was a design statement. This all in a fairly modest home. Total cost…$42,000. All for one small room used occasionally in the home.

So, point is substitute “bathroom” in TiDome’s assessment above for “systems” and you get some context. I could not fathom spending so much on a room I consider something just above a utility room in the home. My wife, however, could easily justify spending that much for a bit of sanctuary in her day.

As to relevance I go back to my impression of the two systems Widget and associates demonstrated back in 2010.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Audition/page5
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    My wife and I were watching one of those makeoverprograms on Home Garden TV the other day. I was watching knowing that much ofwhat was happening on this program was resonating in my wife’s mind. We havetwo bathrooms much in need of updating. Well, sure the mods were impressive with marble sink tops and a bathtub that was a design statement. This all in a fairly modest home. Total cost…$42,000. All for one small room used occasionally in the home.

So, point is substitute “bathroom” in TiDome’s assessmentabove for “systems” and you get some context. I could not fathom spending so much on a room I consider something just above a utility room in the home. My wife, however, could easily justify spending that much for a bit of sanctuary in her day.

As to relevance I go back to my impression of the two systems Widget and associates demonstrated back in 2010.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Audition/page5
    Dang that's some good reading! It's great to see Zilch again!

How prescient is that? Widget's got 1400 Arrays and Everest II 66000s, and I've got K2 S9900s, more or less as a direct result. And grumpy's got a Mark Levinson pre. A lot of the old goats stepped up after that.
    Out.

A lot of the old goats stepped up after that.

Baaahaaahaahhh

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I can say both my son and I have heard both the Salon2 and EverestII. Unfortunately, not in the same country or even same year, much less same room, 5 minutes apart.
    The Revels in SF in '09 and the EverestII in Japan in '10.
    But we both came to the same conclusion: In the rooms we heard these speakers, the Revel Salon2 was the hands down winner.
    The only things in the Revel room were a pair of Salons, pair of Gem2, Voice2, sub and the gear at the back. And perfectly setup!!

The day we walked into the room in Fukuoka, Japan, we could not believe what we were seeing: $60K worth of speaker setup in a room, that at best, would be described as a JBL storage room!! JBLs all along the side walls, a small pair of speakers on stands in front of the Everest. And all in a room way too small. And I'm certain, smaller than the Revel room.

At best we could only get a slight taste as to how those Everest should sound. A complete disappointment!
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Obsolete
    I think Don had a similar story to tell. I think he heard the Everests for the first time in a "bad" room but the second time in a "good" room so the story ended on a positive note.

I heard both the 1400 and the Revel Salon at the same show (CES 2011) with the same Harman mix tape (Boz Scags, Frank Sinatra etc.) but in different rooms and different systems. I preferred the JBLs for their dynamics and realism, but I was very impressed with the Salons. For what you can get them for now the 1400s are a steal, IMO. The 1400s can do something very few speakers can do; make it sound like the performers are actually in the room. The Revels didn't do that for me, but the room they were in was pretty crowded, while I got plenty of alone time in the far less popular 1400 room.

Thread Information