Thread: JBL 1400 Array vs. Revel Salon 2 ..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL 1400 Array vs. Revel Salon 2 ..

I am looking for views to those in the know regarding the following:

1) How large a difference in sensitivity....i.e., are the Revels much harder to drive than the Arrays? I know the spec. differences but would like to understand a bit better(perhaps I should do my own research);
    2) Sound quality. To each his(her) own, I understand. However, since this is a general question for those who may have heard both, I inquire.
    3) Space required for best sound. My wife and I are thinking of building a new home and I get to have my own dedicated room. I need to plan this out.

There are a lot of variables to the above such as the actual room conditions and whathaveyous. The only constant is my gear which constists of the Marantz MA9S2 mono blocks/SC7S2 pre and the SA7S1 SACD. I sure wish the sensitivity wasn't so low...in fact, the other speaker I was thinking of is a Klipsch P-37........I like horns!

Not written in stone here since I love the Arrays. Thanks for your suggestions. Happy holidays
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Name:  2012May4-1336146302.jpg
Views: 3472
Size:  8.3 KB Nice choices!

FWIW
    Stereophile shows:
    JBL 1400 Array sensitivity: 89dB/2.83V/m
    Revel Salon2 sensitivity: 86.4dB SPL/2.83V/m
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Look into the TAD Reference One. Best speaker system on the planet. TAD Reference Two is second. they might even support it after the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post

1) How large a difference in sensitivity....i.e., are the Revels much harder to drive than the Arrays? I know the spec. differences but would like to understand a bit better(perhaps I should do my own research);
    2) Sound quality. To each his(her) own, I understand. However, since this is a general question for those who may have heard both, I inquire.
    3) Space required for best sound. My wife and I are thinking of building a new home and I get to have my own dedicated room. I need to plan this out.

There are a lot of variables to the above such as the actual room conditions and whathaveyous. The only constant is my gear which constists of the Marantz MA9S2 mono blocks/SC7S2 pre and the SA7S1 SACD. I sure wish the sensitivity wasn't so low...in fact, the other speaker I was thinking of is a Klipsch P-37........I like horns!

Not written in stone here since I love the Arrays. Thanks for your suggestions. Happy holidays
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Look into the TAD Reference One. Best speaker system on the planet. TAD Reference Two is second. they might even support it after the sale.

TAD Reference One

SPECS & PRICINGType: three-way floorstanding loudspeaker in a vented cabinet
    Driver complement: two 10" woofers, one 6.5"/1.375" concentric midrange/tweeter
    Frequency response: 21hz–100khz -10db (-3db point is 27hz)
    Crossover frequencies: 250hz and 2khz
    Sensitivity: 90db (2.83v at 1m)
    Maximum SPL: 115db
    Nominal impedance: 4 ohms (4.1 ohms minimum)
    Dimensions: 21.75" x 51" x 27"
    Weight: 330 lbs. each, net
    Price: $78,000 per pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need $ to build the house..........waayyy too rich for my blood, although I expect that they are superb speakers. Perhaps after that lotto win that is coming my way...

As per my usual way of buying gear, the Revels are used and about 50% retail.

Maron Horonzakz
    EDGEWOUND,,,HAS THE DIMINISHING SUPPLY OF JBL AND TAD PARTS HURT YOUR REPAIR BUSINESS?

Hi tom
    Somebody around me think that REVEL can only give out noise but not music
    There are so many HIEND brand to select
    46 lover

Some members here have heard both in the same room, some of us more than once. My personal preference would be the Revel Ultima2 Salon. The only thing that kept me from buying a pair was the unexpected opportunity to get JBL K2 S9900s, which I liked even better. The K2s are more efficient than either the 1400 Array or the Salon.

Still, there are days when I long for the Salon. When given enough power, they are magnificent. I don't know enough about the Marantz mono blocks, but my guess is they'd have enough guts, depending on the room.

I would want the Salon before the JBL Everest DD66000.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I would want the Salon before the JBL Everest DD66000.
    You're just biased by that dome thing.

You know, there are reasons why there are so many speakers available... the main one being there are so many listeners.

I've listened to all of the speakers listed on this thread many, many times. They are all exceptional.

Between the 1400 Array and the Revel, I would and did pick the the Array. The Revel is excellent, but I find it boring... the Everest and to a slightly lesser degree the K2-S9900 have that dynamics thing that the old Altecs and other monster vintage speakers have. For many of us that is more important than absolute neutrality... not that these new top JBL are not amazingly neutral too.

Widget

Dynamics. I have a good idea(S/2600)what you are referring to. I agree. As I indicated, this is not a done deal by any means. I would love to hear the Everest and K2's. I suspect that the dynamics of those systems are great. I guess it boils down to what type of sound you like....that said, I think the Arrays sound a bit dynamic and a bit on the "HIFI' sound a lot of manufacturers think the public(2%'ers)want. Perhaps it has to do with the sensitivity factor that 'dynamic' speakers seem to have(at least the ones I have encountered). I listened to a pair of Magico speakers a while back that retailed for $89K and I preferred the Arrays over them by a pretty good margin.

I listened to a pair of Magico speakers a while back that retailed for $89K and I preferred the Arrays over them by a pretty good margin.
    I wholeheartedly agree with that!
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It could be a space issue too. 4350, 4355, 4435, Everest II - those dual horizontal fifteen-inch systems at 9 to 10 cubic feet take up a bunch of room.
    The Revel is excellent, but I find it boring... the Everest and to a slightly lesser degree the K2-S9900 have that dynamics thing that the old Altecs and other monster vintage speakers have. For many of us that is more important than absolute neutrality...
    That pretty much sums it up for me.
    not that these new top JBL are not amazingly neutral too.
    I wonder how much influence Sean Olive's research has had with respect to the voicing of the Array, K2 and Everest Series.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It could be a space issue too. 4350, 4355, 4435, Everest II - those dual horizontal fifteen-inch systems at 9 to 10 cubic feet take up a bunch of room.That pretty much sums it up for me.I wonder how much influence Sean Olive's research has had with respect to the voicing of the Array, K2 and Everest Series.
    Bingo! Both space and the room. I have a room that's good enough, but it doesn't have enough space. I have a space that's big enough, but it's not a good enough room, and I could never get it good enough without violating my nonproliferation agreement (again) with my partner. I'm not interested in another "Cold War."

The Revels are much more flexible in that regard. They'll work in more spaces in more places. I would have written "more spaces in more rooms," but it didn't have that nice ring to it.

As for the Olive influence on the voicing, probably more than the designer wanted but less than the researcher hoped. The only indirect reference I've ever heard to that issue is from one of the key non-JBL guys at Northridge whose designs seem to align much more closely to Olive's work. When asked about the Everest DD66000: "They really sound pretty good... for a horn."
    Out.

You know, there are reasons why there are so many speakers available... the main one being there are so many listeners.

I've listened to all of the speakers listed on this thread many, many times. They are all exceptional.

Widget

Yes, I am biased. Even Greg Timbers said I had the right moniker:

It is fitting that Titanium Dome has chosen that moniker as I have never seen more Domes assembled in one location at one time. Granted they were all not titanium, but they were domes all the same and there were herds of them all over the house.

Agreed that they're all exceptional; not so sure what you're saying in that middle sentence? Here's my interpretation:

"You know, there are reasons why there are so many speakers available in Dome's home... the main one being there are so many listeners in his head."

Before someone freaks out, yes, I really do understand what he's saying. I was just having some fun. M'kay?
    Out.

Y
    Between the 1400 Array and the Revel, I would and did pick the the Array. The Revel is excellent, but I find it boring...
    Widget
    The focus of the Revel is not. There is a severe, smeared time delay in the mid-high transition. For a system that is $22K+, that is simply unacceptable. They should take some money out of the cabinet's finish and apply it to the acoustics/mechanics/time alignment.

There is a new model at the similar price point at another 3 initial competitor that simply blows it away.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

There is a severe, smeared time delay in the mid-high transition

severe
    come on

Thread Information