Thread: I'm in BIG trouble!

Unhappy I'm in BIG trouble!

I bought a rough JBL L212 system this weekend less subwoofer. One driver does not work...the 112H 8" woofer. I am a neewbie to this forum. Other than foam rot, the driver looks brand new. But it does not work, so I'm assumnig the coil. I've contacted several reconers, like Bryan at Orange County and it's a no go, no kits, no parts. The 112H is only good for a boat anchor it would seem at this point. In desperation, is there any possible voice coil which will work from another JBL woofer so I can save the speaker? Bryan didn't seem to think so. This system could be restored, but I want the original drivers. If I had to go with other JBL's to replace the 112H, would a pair of LE10-H's do? I do not want to destroy history buy cutting up the cabinets, but I am at a loss. Any ideas?

There are other 8" drivers that will fit, but most would need a re-design of the crossover. Best to be patient and grab a used 112H or 2 off eBay. While you're pondering, look and make sure that the 2 little wires are still connecting the coil to the speaker wire terminals. That's about as common a reason for open coil issues as any.

Here's the tech sheet:
    http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../L212%20ts.pdf

The 112H should have DC resistance of 5.2-6.4 ohms across the terminals.

the subs come up every now and then, they are not that great in my opinion. I have two in my office, they sell for about $200 on Ebay. Do not use the internal amp, they suck.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

L212 subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    the subs come up every now and then, they are not that great in my opinion. I have two in my office, they sell for about $200 on Ebay. Do not use the internal amp, they suck.
    Since you have two, and I don't have one, would you consider selling one of your subs?

Quote Originally Posted by windsor202 View Post
    I bought a rough JBL L212 system this weekend less subwoofer. One driver does not work...the 112H 8" woofer. I am a neewbie to this forum. Other than foam rot, the driver looks brand new. But it does not work, so I'm assumnig the coil. I've contacted several reconers, like Bryan at Orange County and it's a no go, no kits, no parts. The 112H is only good for a boat anchor it would seem at this point. In desperation, is there any possible voice coil which will work from another JBL woofer so I can save the speaker? Bryan didn't seem to think so. This system could be restored, but I want the original drivers. If I had to go with other JBL's to replace the 112H, would a pair of LE10-H's do? I do not want to destroy history buy cutting up the cabinets, but I am at a loss. Any ideas?
    Since you are planning on consigning the 112H to the sea , it might be a plan to carefully remove the cone using the appropriate solvents ( MEK I believe does the trick ) and the carefully remove the dustcap and then carefully examine the VC. There are people who will wind you a VC to spec , MWA in Arizona for one.
    If you dont fancy this yourself I'm sure there are one or two reconers here who could put something together.
    The big deal here is that that is a stellar mid bass driver and is well worth renovating / restoring IF you can.
    Good clean ones are very very thin on the ground.
    As an alternative did one of our regulars not mention having some 2250 drivers , same frame , different efficiency etc , might be coaxed into reasonable working order. Complete overkill of course as its used as a high power mid in the Vertec boxes. Maybe get you out of a jam.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ighlight=2250h

post 6

C8r121

I have some ( NOS ) of the sub's recone kits in my stash..unsure on the foam's condition though.

Quote Originally Posted by windsor202 View Post
    Since you have two, and I don't have one, would you consider selling one of your subs?
    I use them for matching lamp holders in my office, I get lots of complements on the glass tops. They are both currently running in the office system.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Thread Information