Thread: First post: my JBL story

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post First post: my JBL story

Hi everybody!

First off all I must say this really is an incredible site. In my search for JBL products, I ended up here uncountable times. Once you get here it's hard to leave. There really is a treasure of information in here.

Since this is my first post, let me introduce myself a bit.
    I'm an almost 27 year old audio enthousiast (I guess thats the correct term). Long time reader, first time poster.

My father is the one responible for me liking the JBL sound and products. When I was little we had 4212A's in our living room. My ears got quite spoiled I guess, because this is not a very common thing in belgian livingrooms. Later under the influence of my mother ("these chunky speakers had to get out of the livingroom") he downgraded to some proIII monitors for a surround setup and later incorporated some genelecs. He still ownes the 4412A's (two pair), which me and my brother are currently using for mixing records when I visit. My father also was a DJ and did some PA as a hobby (I would call it more an obsession). Back in the days he build himself some classic Altec VOT A7's with Vitavox horns (which luckly he also still ownes) and quite a few other speakers, almost all of them with JBL drivers. He also ownes SR4732's, 4 SR4722's, control and quite a few other models of which I don't know the model numbers by heart (I told it was an obsession). That is the JBL stuff I grew up with. What can I say, he's a great dad.

After moving out of the house I was JBL-less for a bit of time. I got a pair of Kef Chorale's for free, which sound quite nice in our small appartment.

Recently, I picked up a pair of cheap Lancer 44's which I came across. They need some work, which I am not afraid of so I couldn't let them pass by. It's not my final destination but a good start in the right direction (I think). I have some questions about them which I will ask in another post. And so the story continues...
    Last edited by muilperen; 11-20-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the forums. It's always fun to hear how someone got his or her start in the hobby, and specifically with JBLs.

Good luck on getting your Lancers in tip top shape. As you've no doubt picked up, there are many extremely knowledgeable and helpful folks here who I'm sure will be more than happy to help.

All the best,
    - Mike

Thanks Mike!

That is why I am here, to share and learn from these folks.
    In fact, I just posted a new thread with some pictures and questions here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...205#post340205

Quote Originally Posted by muilperen View Post
    Hi everybody!

First off all I must say this really is an incredible site. In my search for JBL products, I ended up here uncountable times. Once you get here it's hard to leave. There really is a treasure of information in here.

Since this is my first post, let me introduce myself a bit.
    I'm an almost 27 year old audio enthousiast (I guess thats the correct term). Long time reader, first time poster.

My father is the one responible for me liking the JBL sound and products. When I was little we had 4212A's in our living room. My ears got quite spoiled I guess, because this is not a very common thing in belgian livingrooms. Later under the influence of my mother ("these chunky speakers had to get out of the livingroom") he downgraded to some proIII monitors for a surround setup and later incorporated some genelecs. He still ownes the 4412A's (two pair), which me and my brother are currently using for mixing records when I visit. My father also was a DJ and did some PA as a hobby (I would call it more an obsession). Back in the days he build himself some classic Altec VOT A7's with Vitavox horns (which luckly he also still ownes) and quite a few other speakers, almost all of them with JBL drivers. He also ownes SR4732's, 4 SR4722's, control and quite a few other models of which I don't know the model numbers by heart (I told it was an obsession). That is the JBL stuff I grew up with. What can I say, he's a great dad.

After moving out of the house I was JBL-less for a bit of time. I got a pair of Kef Chorale's for free, which sound quite nice in our small appartment.

Recently, I picked up a pair of cheap Lancer 44's which I came across. They need some work, which I am not afraid of so I couldn't let them pass by. It's not my final destination but a good start in the right direction (I think). I have some questions about them which I will ask in another post. And so the story continues...
    It is a start indeed. A journey in some respects where you may find yourself restless on occasion. Be forewarned.
    David F
    San Jose

Welcome! What a great audio start you had; there are far worse obsessions to have been raised up around (like golf, for instance <G>). You have come to the right place to further JBL obsessiveness.

Thread Information