Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 250 Ti vs 4345

You need to hear it for yourself really .... Can you take your amp to the speakers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Thanx! I'm sure it's all worth it. But will it sound good (if not great) just driven by McIntosh 452 without all the tweaks and upgrades?
    Just try it.
    but the best way to push this huge monster is bi-amping or tri-amping it
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    250Ti is not on the same level of 4345.If you like JBL,you must to try big 43xx.
    In my word, without horns, JBL is no more JBL.
    that's NOT what the designer thinks

Greg Timbers wrote: " I should comment briefly about the 250 - 4345 comparison. Simply put, I prefer a 250. "

(thx Phil)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    that's NOT what the designer thinks

Greg Timbers wrote: " I should comment briefly about the 250 - 4345 comparison. Simply put, I prefer a 250. "

(thx Phil)
    Perhaps because 250TI had been designed by G.T.
    Anyway,how to compare a 18' cab with a 12' cab?
    btw,seawolf become white tiger?
    46 lover

The 250Ti has a 14" woofer, and Greg Timbers is the designer of both of these speakers

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    The 250Ti has a 14" woofer, and Greg Timbers is the designer of both of these speakers
    Hi pos
    Sorry to confuse them.
    but i still think it's unsuitabe to compare a 18'' cabinet with a 14' cabinet
    neither to metion compression driver with TI dome
    46 lover

Obsolete
    If the 250Ti isn't doing it for you anymore then the only thing you are missing is the power and dynamics of a well designed compression driver based system. I say "well designed" because a 250Ti will stomp a crappy compression driver based system into the dirt.

The 4345 is arguably the pinnacle of the JBL large format Studio Monitor design using a single low frequency transducer. My personal opinion is that later models sound more refined but lose a bit of the classic JBL Studio Monitor character.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    My personal opinion is that later models sound more refined but lose a bit of the classic JBL Studio Monitor character.
    I agree with this statement, though it's ambiguous in its application. For some, that's a bad thing; for others it's a good thing.

In reality, I really like both sides, as evidenced by so many different JBLs in my home and offices. Still, if I were put in a circumstance where variety is no longer possible, the classic JBL Studio Monitor character will be among the early casualties.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    If you want to put the time and money into them 4345 all the way . Bi-amp, keep the Mac where it will shine and put a solid 600 watt SS amp on the 2245 . IME , dont waste money and use a cheap crossover , Bryston , Marchand or something in the quality range .... I'd be interested to hear Kenrick's new active crossover .
    I'd love to try a Marchand some day. I'd be "happy as an antelope with night-vision glasses" if it actually made an audible improvement because I am extremely happy with my 4345 clones bi-amped with an Ashly crossover right now. I'd also add that I find it even more important for the 250s to have big power than it is for the 4345. I run a single Crown PS400 on the bottom end of my 4345s and we tried that on a pair of 250tis at one of our Mid-Atlantic listening fests and they sounded awful. I have enough Crowns to run double bridged PS400s just on the 2245 but I can't imagine what kind of improvement I'd get. I find joy in nearly every JBL model. That's why I have more than a dozen of them. I love Greg Timbers' comments on the 4345 and the 250 and Seawolf repeated the most telling of them right from the horse's mouth. But I also love his final comment on the topic:
    "If both systems were tweaked out to about the same level, I suspect it would be very hard to come up with a clear overall winner, but I think I might lean towards the 4345 as having the greater potential."
    As you see in my sig line, Greg is responsible for a lot of superb speaker systems but there's something in the 4345 that verges on PFM.

(Currently spinning Chris Whitley's Dislocation Blues on the 4345s as I type this . . .)
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I agree with this statement, though it's ambiguous in its application. For some, that's a bad thing; for others it's a good thing.
    I was thinking specifically of the later 4344 Mk II and 4348.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    In reality, I really like both sides, as evidenced by so many different JBLs in my home and offices. Still, if I were put in a circumstance where variety is no longer possible, the classic JBL Studio Monitor character will be among the early casualties.
    I understand.

It all depends on the material you are listeningto... PS. I use a pair of b380's with my 4340's and no subs with the 250ti's. Just my 2 cents...
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    All this talk about crossovers, networks etc scares me off big time. I'm afraid 4345 will not sound good simply driven by McIntosh 452...
    CORNHOLIO,

I am using a 24 watt SET amp to drive my CC upgraded 4345's with great results to my ears.
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

250 Ti vs 4345

250TI For me one of the best over the JBL L300, L220, 4333, 4343 works perfectly with HK Citation 16

I am also currently using an HK 16 on my 250ti's they have a warmer sound than the dc300's monoed.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Another question to 4345 owners - how picky are they to placement? I mean I can give them a meter between the back and the wall and there will be approx 220 cm between the centers of the drivers with maybe 4 meters between the speakers and my ears but the left speaker will be VERY close to window pane with a radiator.

Thread Information