Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something fun....

"The Halcro's are sitting in his garage, holding up his garden tools..."

Now, that cracked me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Rippy;
    ...except for live-volume Harley Davidson and coal train demonstrations,
    Those are fun track, especially LOUD!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Wornears View Post
    "The Halcro's are sitting in his garage, holding up his garden tools..."

Now, that cracked me up!
    He tried to give them to me.....but...I can't stand them.

junk?

I get the feeling that this man's "junk" is better than anything I'll ever own, or even seriously considering owning, in my lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yeah, but by disconnecting the mid horn and tweeter from the top pair makes it seem far more reasonable. Years ago when I was prototyping the early version of Project May I did find the DSP controlled dual 1500AL woofers in an MTM configuration was pretty impressive.

Widget
    Indeed- and it should be noted that we're not talking a putz with a Behringer here, Rippy's DSP-fu is quite formidable, I'm sure he has them very well integrated indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rippy View Post

The array is actively multiamped; those are Bryston 28's in the background, and they are all controlled by DSP based crossover/eq/time-delay. Final tuning is done by ear on a variety of acoustic recordings, including personal recordings of the customer's piano.
    Have you tried, or experimented with wiring the woofers in series? I assume they are wired in parallel currently. I have seen this done recently with several sets of speakers that were "doubled-up" and the bass response was significantly improved with series wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Have you tried, or experimented with wiring the woofers in series? I assume they are wired in parallel currently. I have seen this done recently with several sets of speakers that were "doubled-up" and the bass response was significantly improved with series wiring.
    No, I have not tried that. The main reason is that I need separate control on each woofer, and series precludes that. The upper woofer is rolled off at 300hz, to avoid interference and comb filter problems with the mid-range, while the lower woofer runs full-range.

No, I have not tried that. The main reason is that I need separate control on each woofer, and series precludes that. The upper woofer is rolled off at 300hz, to avoid interference and comb filter problems with the mid-range, while the lower woofer runs full-range.
    I would assume you are rolling off all woofers except the one lower inner woofer per side.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I would assume you are rolling off all woofers except the one lower inner woofer per side.

Widget
    No, lower woofers are running full range of course,crossing over at the JBL recommended frequency upper woofer is just a "balance" and "ambiance" woofer. The 300hz roll off was selected based on ambiance cues and room bass smoothness. I do NOT want vocals to come from the upper woofer.

Room fine tuning comes from varying the relative volumes of the upper and lower woofer, the volume of the stack relative to the horns, and the low bass roll-off on the upper; IE, if I need MORE 22 hz, I roll the upper one off a bit at 20hz, thereby reducing the cancellation effect. If I want less cancellation of room modes on higher bass frequencies, I can adjust the volume of the upper woofer. Then there are the time delays and so on to glue it all together. And, of course, there is traditional room EQ.

The trick is that its all variable, each one changes the other. It's much like doing the color convergence adjustments on old CRT color TV's; everything effected everything else. But, with patience, one could really make those TV's shine.

It will be two more visits before I consider it "dialed in" since the ear simply goes bad after a few hours of adjusting. It will tell you anything to get you to quit!

I have been getting great feedback from the customer and his musician friends, so I am sure I am close to what I consider dialed in. I will be doing some fine tuning around live piano and violin recordings when I go back. Main comments seem to be "what power and transparency!" "Wonderful timing" "Fantastic vocals" and "When's lunch?"

One guy did mention that I might need to get a little more rosin sound on the violin. And that the upper frequencies on the strings might be just a bit ahead of the main body. All that can be dialed in next time. Like I said, after a couple of hours doing sweeps, the ear loses a bit of subtlety.

Obsolete
    I do NOT want vocals to come from the upper woofer.
    Then you'd need to cut them off really fast above ~ 80 Hz.
    It will be two more visits before I consider it "dialed in" since the ear simply goes bad after a few hours of adjusting. It will tell you anything to get you to quit!
    Yep. Those OSHA charts are for real.

I refuse to do that stuff anymore. People always tend to want it too loud for too long.

Hearing aides outsell iPods in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Then you'd need to cut them off really fast above ~ 80 Hz.Yep. Those OSHA charts are for real.

I refuse to do that stuff anymore. People always tend to want it too loud for too long.

Hearing aides outsell iPods in the United States.

I think you're mistaking ear fatigue from active listening with ear fatigue from raw SPL. Agreed re: 300, though most of the vocal range is above that.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    I think you're mistaking ear fatigue from active listening with ear fatigue from raw SPL. Agreed re: 300, though most of the vocal range is above that.
    My mistake, I didn't cue in on the second part of this sentence.

One point is that, except for live-volume Harley Davidson and coal train demonstrations, we are always running in the Class A portion of the amplifiers power range!

Obsolete
    Son of fun... 4313B.....Aaaannnd there lay the crux of the matter. We wanted to build JUST a woofer unit to go on top; the client has master cabinet makers working for him that could have done an exquisite job. But the woofer was no where to be found.
    There now appears to be an effort within Harman to make the new Everest II woofers available over the counter, possibly as soon as the first of next year.

I wonder if we ordered a bus load of them we could hold them to it...

The last time I ordered the minimum order of twenty-five they could only produce twenty (the excuse was that they ran out of parts)...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    There now appears to be an effort within Harman to make the new Everest II woofers available over the counter, possibly as soon as the first of next year.

I wonder if we ordered a bus load of them we could hold them to it...

The last time I ordered the minimum order of twenty-five they could only produce twenty (the excuse was that they ran out of parts)...
    Getting our hands on some of those woofers would be great. So would getting my hands on some replacement super tweeters!

You caught it correctly, I do most of my sweeps at about 85db to 90db so that there is some room loading, but I am wearing heavy-duty hearing protection throughout the sweeping process. I misspoke earlier; it is the BRAIN that tires once you get to the active listening part. After a while, placebo effect kicks in and you hear what you want to hear. "Maybe if we tell him that it sounds perfect, he will let us go home and get some freakin' sleep." My mixing-engineer friends tell me it happens with them too. You get CLOSE, but fine tuning has to be done after at least a few hours break, preferably an entire day. And the client has to be fresh to, for his input on the final flavoring.

No, lower woofers are running full range of course,crossing over at the JBL recommended frequency upper woofer is just a "balance" and "ambiance" woofer. The 300hz roll off was selected based on ambiance cues and room bass smoothness. I do NOT want vocals to come from the upper woofer.

All that can be dialed in next time. Like I said, after a couple of hours doing sweeps, the ear loses a bit of subtlety.
    I think you misunderstood me. The Everest II as designed only uses one woofer full range.

Regarding the loss of hearing subtlety, I fully agree. I always take frequent breaks when setting up a system.

Widget

Thread Information