Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I´m new here...

Hi, I´m new here...

Hi!

My name is Andreas. I´m 34 years young.
    I live with my small family nearby Berlin in Germany.
    I´m a speaker/high fidelity freak since the age of 11.
    My first dream speaker has been JBL Project K2.
    Finally, with ups and downs, I made my hobby to my profession and worked for well known companies during the last years.
    During my business trips in Asia I often see a lot of JBL stuff and I even met one of the old JBL R&D managers from the eighties (who is retired now and back in the USA).
    I really respect the JBL engineers and the technologies they have invented first(and the Japanese copied them). I´m collecting a lot of famous JBL drivers and I´m very often surprised about their performance! Even the early designs have been really progressive, wow! Unfortunately the good hi-fi and high-end times are over and all audio companies are forced to do the i-Pod plastic shit. That´s really sad/hard for me and I wish I had been born earlier in the good times. But, let´s do our best and keep the fun...
    I intend to find freaks in this forum like me sharing the same fun, and I also would like to get contact to retired or current JBL engineers.

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Andreas;

Welcome to Lansing Heritage!

It sounds like you're living the dream. I hope you find value and enjoy your time spent here.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Welcome, Andreas. Congratulations on your success in life so far.

I will offer you another way to think about the "good old days" and the "iPod plastic shit" days.

There has never been a better time to be a lover of music and of good JBL products. I'm in my 60s, and have had JBLs with me since my first new pair in 1970 (L100). My current JBLs run from the 1970s to the 2000s, so I have a much greater orchard in which to pick fruit than the poor guys who were there when the first small trees were first planted. Likewise, music lovers of the 40s, 50s, 60s and even 70s had a lot of good music to listen to, but I can have all that plus the amazing music of the past 32 years as well, along with superior recording techniques, better playback devices, and superior amplification.

JBL speakers have never been better than they are now. Sure, there are some triumphant accomplishments in the past, but today's advanced drivers, networks, cabinet designs, and dispersion characteristics are better. From Everest II DD66000 (soon to be updated), K2 S9900, S4700, 1400 Array, and LS Series to the ES, Studio L, and Studio Series, there's something in every price range that's a leader in its market segment.

It's true, some of today's music isn't the best, but some of it is as good as anything from the past. Heck, my parents didn't think anything in the 60s or early 70s was any good, but of course it was. So it's additive. The best of the past plus the best of the present are more than just the best of the past. Likewise the best JBLs of today plus the best of the past are more than just the best JBL of the past.

And IMO, the best of the best JBLs are being made today.

Either way you go, enjoy your time here, and again, welcome!
    Out.

Hi!

Not everything JBL made in the past has been perfect, of course.
    Sometimes it was just a raw diamond. For example XPL or old Projekt K2.
    Honestly said a litte bit strange X-over design and sound, but the ideas are good.
    Today you just use a couple of simulation programs and the X-Over, phase and dispersion is just fine.
    To my mind JBL´s spirit for good speakers always has been very strong since the beginning.
    The main focus of big audio companies today is a lot of lifestyle plastic products...
    That´s why I changed to the pro audio monitor branch and do the high-end HiFi at home.

BR

Andreas

I always thought that back in the day JBL made many of the world's best drivers and some gorgeous cabinets, but somehow the resulting systems often didn't quite impress sonically. I used to blame the crossovers, but now I realize it wasn't that simple. There is a lot that goes into making an amazing sounding speaker and the science is just now catching up with the art. I don't think JBL understood the art, but now they are creating art and using cutting edge science.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by old-fashioned View Post
    Hi!
    Hi!
    Not everything JBL made in the past has been perfect, of course.
    Sometimes it was just a raw diamond. For example XPL or old Projekt K2.
    Hence the ongoing DIY efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I always thought that back in the day JBL made many of the world's best drivers and some gorgeous cabinets, but somehow the resulting systems often didn't quite impress sonically. I used to blame the crossovers, but now I realize it wasn't that simple.

There is a lot that goes into making an amazing sounding speaker and the science is just now catching up with the art. I don't think JBL understood the art, but now they are creating art and using cutting edge science.
    I think it was as simple as them building systems that pleased them both visually and aurally. There is no doubt that there was alot of function following form going on and those ancient components can be made to sound very nice with modern networks and well designed enclosures.

Which reminds me. Who has tried the Nelson Pass network for the L300? Who has tried the "new" network for the L100?

I could make an analogy with auto engineering in the Sixties and Ferrari. Few could doubt Scuderia Ferrari’s prowess at automobile design and engineering coming out of the 50’s when auto engineering was still, as you say, more of an art than science. Form AND function without compromise. Yet, challengers in the 60’s were introducing all kinds of new engineering techniques. Colin Chapman (monocoque rear-engine chassis) and McLaren (air flow). Hell, Enzo was a late adapter of the rear-engined chassis design. So, the point is Ferrari was beatable but they were the standard. Ferrari had the cache and spirit others envied. All competitors raced against Ferrari whether on the track or on the street.

OK, maybe a stretch and a half comparing a 1958 250 GTO to a pair of walnut boxes on the shelf, but hell, I couldn’t afford either JBLs or a Ferrari in 1972 when I bought my first car (a pea green Datsun 510).
    David F
    San Jose

Don´t talk about oldtimers... ;-)
    I´ve burned more than 10k Euro in my rotten 1970 Corvette convertible by hidden botch.
    I originally intended to spent this amount for the home cinema... :-(
    The independent rear suspension, the fiber optics and vacuum actuated wiper door have been progressive.
    I really like the American way, but the suspenion on the German autobahn. What the hell...

The retired JBL engineer told me some stories...
    For example about the AlNiCo marketing issue and the SFG at the ferrite motors.
    Guess what...

I´ve bought on old pair of 4311 and will evaluate them.

Best regards,

Andreas

The 4311WX old version is fine!
    Damn good result for the strange crossover and driver positioning...
    My ones are completely original, but the cabinet is painted semi-gloss black.
    The only owner told me he bought them in this way in 1976. Is that true?!?

BR

Andreas

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Hi!...

Which reminds me. Who has tried the Nelson Pass network for the L300? ...

That reminds me, I do believe it's time to rotate some of the more modern stuff out and bring those ancient 3-ways in. Mine are not L300's, just similar components stuffed into the minimum size box, but it does have the NP-300 XO in it after last year's "update". Have not really listened to it yet, but it was nice to not have to bi-amp that box...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Hi!

My name is Andreas. I´m 34 years young.
    I live with my small family nearby Berlin in Germany.
    I´m a speaker/high fidelity freak since the age of 11.
    My first dream speaker has been JBL Project K2.
    Finally, with ups and downs, I made my hobby to my profession and worked for well known companies during the last years.
    During my business trips in Asia I often see a lot of JBL stuff and I even met one of the old JBL R&D managers from the eighties (who is retired now and back in the USA).
    I really respect the JBL engineers and the technologies they have invented first(and the Japanese copied them). I´m collecting a lot of famous JBL drivers and I´m very often surprised about their performance! Even the early designs have been really progressive, wow! Unfortunately the good hi-fi and high-end times are over and all audio companies are forced to do the i-Pod plastic shit. That´s really sad/hard for me and I wish I had been born earlier in the good times. But, let´s do our best and keep the fun...
    I intend to find freaks in this forum like me sharing the same fun, and I also would like to get contact to retired or current JBL engineers.

Best regards,

Andreas
    Hi,Andreas

Nice to meet you here,hope you will be happy in this forum.sorry for my English is poor.
    Although the NEW JBL products are more accurate and dynamic,but I like the old JBL sound ,the are touchingful.
    46 lover

Hi Martin!

A Wu family in Taiwan is producing a lot of JBL for more than 30 years...
    Do you belong to them?!?

I like everything not colorating too much and "play" with many speakers from time to time.
    The old stuff is often more functional, less woman acceptance factor.
    Large woofers, big front baffle and good efficiency.

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Martin!

A Wu family in Taiwan is producing a lot of JBL for more than 30 years...
    Do you belong to them?!?

I like everything not colorating too much and "play" with many speakers from time to time.
    The old stuff is often more functional, less woman acceptance factor.
    Large woofers, big front baffle and good efficiency.

Best regards,

Andreas
    Really?i don't know this at all.
    There are many German brand speakers all over the world,such as Adam German physics,musikelectric...

In fact,German manufacture many hi-end gears.many people think that most hi-end products are made in swizerland,the next is Germany.
    But i llike the old JBL indeed.
    Best regards
    Martin
    46 lover

I´m R&D manager at ADAM, next year I´ll be at Eve!
    Funny, isn´t it?!? *lol*

There are few of us meeting up at HiEnd Munich next year .... Come and join us ... We also have the JBL get together at HP's to watch out for ...

Welcome BTW , Rich

Thread Information