Thread: Cabinet for a bassplayer

Cabinet for a bassplayer

Hello guys!

Iīm looking for some good ides/advice from an other bass player. (by the way, let me know if iīm posting the wrong place)
    I have bin playing bass for many years, and now is the time to try a new cabinet.
    I have never tried JBL parts before as back gear. I have lately bin looking in to D,E and K series speakers and are finding them very interesting, with a lot of good reviews. Up till now is has mostly bin 4*10 cabinets. In general they sound OK. Good upper frequencies and mid area, but the lows often seems to dry/distant in a funny way. That made me try different settings, and I found out that 15" speakers has a more physical attack in the lows. And I like it!

I have some ideas: A standard cab with 2* K140 or with a single K140 + K130 (for upper frequencies) Will that work? maybe with crossover? Then I thought of a single E 140 in a backloaded cab. http://www.stageaccompany.com/produc...tage/4530s.pdf

Any other good ideas? Iīm not looking for at boomy/rumbling sound... Getting enough of that from the subs underneath the stage. I would like a clean response with details and good lows.

Best regards
    Martin Mortensen

Hi Martin. You probably remember Emerson Lake and Palmer. Bass came from a JBL 4520 (bigger version of the 4530). In North America, those cabinets are sold for close to nothing. The sound will be very physical. Not as snappy as with a 4530, but deeper.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...6&d=1327011595

Bass cabnet

5 cubic foot enclosure with a 6 inch diameter x 6 inch long port for each 15 inch speaker and will tune at about 40 cycles (low E ). D 140s or D 130s are fine, don't mx unless your are good at matching different efficiencies. I worked with a pair for many years and was quite satisfied. Make sure that the sides are stiff enough to resist vibation. Be sure to use JBL drivers, I blew most all other brands until I started using JBLs; D130s and D140s.Get a three section per octave equalizer for tweaks. Oh, don't forget your day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Hi Martin. You probably remember Emerson Lake and Palmer. Bass came from a JBL 4520 (bigger version of the 4530). In North America, those cabinets are sold for close to nothing. The sound will be very physical. Not as snappy as with a 4530, but deeper.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...6&d=1327011595
    Now that`s a bass rig! Wonder what was driving it? To the OP, 4530`s with K/E-140s were quite popular among bass players. Are you willing to deal with it`s size and weight??

HI guys!

Thanks for replying!
    Yes, 4530/20 looks nice and and it would be funny to try how it feels They use different drivers. 4530 uses a E140 and 4520 uses 2205īs. and the 2205 is a real bass driver, that's the reason for the horn on top. I would say, I donīt matter if it takes space up in the air, but i know it will give problems if it becomes wider than a normal standard cab. In other words i have to turn two times 15" on the wide side down. I can see the problems going through a door already Iīm glad wheels came along..
    One thing is to jump out and try a total now type of enclosure, another thing is how low will a backloaded go? "hardtime" you mentioned the E string (40Hz) But Iīm looking for a cab that can take the low B (32Hz). For the moment I only use 4 strings, but in the future I can see some nice rocking with a synthesizer, and those are claiming down low . The E140 is on my mind because of the power handling, some says the K140 sound a little sweeter.. I donīt know.. But "hardtime" you are open for mixing K130 and K140 with a crossover? If the K130 is crossed out in the lower end, Technically the K140 has a bigger internal cab for the lowest notes. thatīs one way..

Martin

Hi Martin

The 4530 is a 40Hz horn with a 80Hz fundamental. The 4520 is a 35Hz horn with a 70Hz fundamental. Perhaps you could also look at the 18" JBL E155/K155 which are bass/organ drivers and make a simple bass reflex enclosure. It will not play as loud, but it is a proven recipe. This is a 30Hz driver.

Hi!
    The E155 would be fun to try. But I donīt know if that is to step out of the save zone. 18" seems very big for a simple backgear. Or is it? In any way itīs hard to find any for sale. most of them are reconed to 2240. Maybe I should simply try 2* E140, like this:

Simply just a beauty!

That should do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ear4life View Post
    Hi!
    The E155 would be fun to try. But I donīt know if that is to step out of the save zone. 18" seems very big for a simple backgear. Or is it? In any way itīs hard to find any for sale. most of them are reconed to 2240. Maybe I should simply try 2* E140, like this:

Simply just a beauty!

I would recommend a cabinet with a closed back. Just my two cents.

Hey again!

Okay, just found 2 E140 in good condition for about 275 usd, here in Denmark. Very nice! so I bought them Looking forward to go pro with JBL! Then I just have to find the time to build the cabinet (with the back panel) There wouldīt be much lows without the back.
    Thanks for the input so far!!

Best regards
    Martin

Thread Information