Thread: Driver slection help

Driver slection help

I am trying to decide about which Altec to use in my LeCleach 400hZ horns. I have seen some with tangerine phase plugs and was wondering what are the opinions of these vs standard 288's. I also have to decide on aLnico vs ferrite and was wondering if the aLnico is worth the extra coin. Opinions welcome.

BTW, first time poster who is about to start on first horn. Mating them to 2226h and yet to be decided Supertweeter, Dont knoe if i can hear that high, so it will be a subjective decision. I will be drving them with Nelson Pass clones.

Thanks in advance

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...riverslit.html

Why not JBL?

What is the horn entry angle?

JBL horns are not out, they tend to be much more expensive, especially in terms of replacement parts. 2441 can be had for $240 used, but add another $200 for new diagram and things are headed up in price. Have also looked at Radian 745 and 950. Horn wise, I just like the response I see on I data and JMLC horns. Nice and smooth with less reflections. I am happy to look at JBL , if you have suggestions. Multi cell would be nice, but extremely expensive. As for horn entey angle, dunno. I have read this can be majlr sourcs of problems, but beyond my current understanding. Thanks for the replay.

This is one of the more thorough, quick explanations I have seen.
    http://www.triodefestival.net/index....-2010-shootout

Do you have the horns, or are you planning to buy? I you are going to buy, go for lecleach or tractrix.

JBL drivers have 4 inch voice coils. Altec have 3 inch. Theoretically 4 inch is an advantage. Altec replacement diaphragms are very expensive. You can get Radian replacement diaphragms for JBL drivers at a reasonable cost (I believe these are made in the US actually). JBL ferrite drivers with 2 inch exit (2445, 2446) should not be expensive at all.

You want the same exit angle from the driver as the entry angle of the horn. Otherwise you will get diffraction and reflections. If I rememeber correctly the exit angle of JBL 2 inch exit drivers (2440, 2441, 2445, 2446,...) is about 4,5 degrees.

Another option is to go for a 1,5 inch exit driver (2447), where the driver ends at the phase plug. These drivers are not so sensistive to horn entry angle.

Mårten

Gonna buy lecleach or diy Iwata/biradial type. To me 2441 or 288 are most interesting. Looked at newer BMS coaxials, but too new for me. Thanks for the info.

I have considered a pair of K140's as a quality midrange. What do yo think. They have light cones as low Le. Should make for fast and articulte bass.

Thread Information