Thread: what to do with my C60 soveriegns???? keep em stock, modify? etc. etc.

what to do with my C60 soveriegns???? keep em stock, modify? etc. etc.

Hi,
    i've posted questions about these before, but some time ago, i cleared out all of my messages - so i apologize if this is something that a few of you guys have already answered... but

i have a stock/original pair of C60 soveriegns - i'm about to have the cabinets refinished, but before I do that i want to consider any/all mods that might be within my reach.

my gear consists of a McIntosh C11 preamp, listening mostly to vinyl on a TD124 with a Benz Ruby cart - I have a McIntosh MCD7000 as well.
    my amps switch from time to time, but i'm currently running a nice MC240 on them, which provides plenty of power - but i've also run a MC2505 on them, and have even played around with a pair of old Simplex IPC tube amps - which also sound quite nice.

The speakers are stock original, with their foam surrounds, 375 horns (red wax intact) and 075 tweeters (also red intact)
    i did re-cap the crossover and shorted the l-pad in the middle position about a year ago - this balanced the two speakers and restored (what I thought) a sonic purity to them that I hadn't previously heard.
    I have (on/off)used an active crossover to run a 150wpc amp on the woofers and used the MC240 on the mid/treb letting the stock Mid/hi JBL crossover do its thing.

i'm at a point where i'd like to use them to the best of their ability - but don't necessarily want to waste money if sonic improvements aren't realistic - or if the speakers will be the limiting factor.

I've been told that the C11 (which was restored by Audio Classics in NY) preamp is still about as good as it gets - but i know of problems with the Soveriegn cabinet size, horn, and tweeter that all have user upgrades available.

I suspect that in the end, my biggest obstacle is going to be my listening room, which is only about 3 feet wider than these two speakers are (when they sit end to end) - (assuming they are flat against the wall)
    i could angle them in the corners, and toe em in, but i'm not sure just how much of an improvement (if any) that might offer.

any thoughts? - given what original mint 375s are worth, i'd consider selling those and going with the pro driver that has been rediaphramed if its worth it (specifically with my gear/room) if y'all think i'd be wasting money, i'll keep them stock and enjoy what they offer as is.

on the other hand, i might just leave them as is, and spend 3-4k on a new pair of speakers that would work far better in my room - but I sure love vintage JBLs
    any help/thoughts would be great.

Cool

Your best bet may be to remodel the house to get a bigger/better listening room.

thats about the only option that isn't a reality -

Thread Information