Thread: Clair Brothers 2404H-1?

Question Clair Brothers 2404H-1?

When Clair Brothers were selling off some off their stock, I picked up 4 of the 2040H-1's.
    I have assumed they were the 2404h driver with a Clair manufactured horn.
    Would this be correct? Any thoughts on these?

Name:  2404h-1-1.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  59.6 KB
    Name:  2404h-1-2.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  85.5 KB
    Last edited by mark214; 10-17-2021 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Yes and that one likely has the 075 / 2402 diaphragm rather than the 077 / 2405 diaphragm.

I bought a bunch of those. About a third of the diaphragms were glitterfied / shattered.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I just get rid of all of my 2404H and H1 parts, so I can't take pictures. The H and H1 look similar but most parts are not interchangeable. The bolt pattern is different and the nose piece is a different diameter. I think the plastic butt cheek horn is the same, but I could be wrong. I have read that the H1 uses the 075 and 2402 diaphragm, but I have also read that they all use the same diaphragms.

The H1 is supposed to go lower also.

The horn looks like a variation on a DDS 60x40. Those pop up on eBay occasionally with a two bolt throat drill out. They need a metal adaptor plate to mount three bolt 1" drivers. A very popular horn for stage monitors when mounting a 2426 or similar driver. Your pic looks more like a 3/4" horn throat. If you're trying to recreate this for a 3/4" exit driver you could perhaps have a 3/4 to 1" adaptor 3D printed or maybe turned out of aluminum stock.

They have been in a box since I bought them they were a spur of the moment purchase, I just put a VOM on them 3 were 6 to 7 one was 60-79.

Thanks for the input on these.

I'm going to say those were part the Showco Prism system, Showco was later bought by Clair Brothers.
    Here are a couple links....
    I think there was a long throw cabinet as well.

https://www.paoftheday.com/showco-prism-sound-system/

https://www.roadiesofcolorunited.com/showco-prism-sound-system-secrets-revealed/

Hello Riley;

Clair I’m pretty sure made long-throw horns for the 2404’s with a proper 1/2” entrance, the counter sink and four screw holes. They also made doubles. I still have a some of them. They are made to mount to the throat of the 2403-2404 throat.

I can shoot some pic’s if you are interested.

Robertg the -1 difference is a 075 diaphragm and a conical phase plug that measures 1.6” something at the base where the straight 2404 (non -1) uses a phase plug that the base is about 1.712” or something like that and uses a 2405 diaphragm. I can look up my notes if anyone cares.

I bought plenty of 2404’s in both variations new in box and know this for fact.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I suspect Clair had horns made to their spec by Community or DDS but I also suspect less than a few hundred of such horns existed back in the day and fewer now. If the OP wanted to recreate them now finding some of the DDS 60x50s and having a reducing throat fabricated might be the most practical path.

https://www.ddshorns.com/CFD%201-51%20pro.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hello Riley;

Clair I’m pretty sure made long-throw horns for the 2404’s with a proper 1/2” entrance, the counter sink and four screw holes. They also made doubles. I still have a some of them. They are made to mount to the throat of the 2403-2404 throat.

I can shoot some pic’s if you are interested.

Barry.

Here's a couple custom Showco / Clair horns. I got a few of these and never found a use for them.
    Not sure who made them, laminated fiberglass with balsa wood dampening and support.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information