Thread: JBL L100 Foam Inserts

JBL L100 Foam Inserts

Well, I'll be in the market for some new foam inserts for my L100s once I finish sanding and oiling the cabinets. However, after doing some research, I've found that Foam Trends, which seems to be a preferred company based on previous posts I've read on various forums, no longer makes foam inserts. However, I did see that Sculpted Foam Innovations is making foam inserts. Unfortunately, I've read a bit about them and based on that, would prefer to avoid doing business with them.

Does Foam Trends do foam inserts every now and then, or are they completely out of the game? PS: I'm going burnt orange for the full effect.

No one?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg86z28 View Post
    No one?
    Lansing Forum member Sonofagun does very nice L100 foam grills...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Seems like I recall him trying to sell off that business a while back, I don't remember if he ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg86z28 View Post
    Well, I'll be in the market for some new foam inserts for my L100s once I finish sanding and oiling the cabinets. However, after doing some research, I've found that Foam Trends, which seems to be a preferred company based on previous posts I've read on various forums, no longer makes foam inserts. However, I did see that Sculpted Foam Innovations is making foam inserts. Unfortunately, I've read a bit about them and based on that, would prefer to avoid doing business with them.

Does Foam Trends do foam inserts every now and then, or are they completely out of the game? PS: I'm going burnt orange for the full effect.

I just ordered a pair from Sculpted Foam Innovations. What's the bad word?

Foam grilles, anywhere?

Inherited pair of L100's, have frames, looking for inserts. Does anyone know where to find them? I recently emailed Forum Member Sonofagun, but have no response. FoamTrends and Sculpted Foam suppliers seem to be toast. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by daccawash View Post
    Inherited pair of L100's, have frames, looking for inserts. Does anyone know where to find them? I recently emailed Forum Member Sonofagun, but have no response. FoamTrends and Sculpted Foam suppliers seem to be toast. Anyone?
    Ditto, have a pair in need of foam around tweets and for grills. Any reply yet from sonofagun?

Foam Grilles

Doodle6,
    Yes... sonofagun is only one I have found to currently be in production of replacement JBL grille inserts. I spoke w him last week and he confirmed that wait time is at least six weeks. don't know which model you need but his website is www.foamspeakergrilles.com Hope this helps

I just found this listing on eBay today; maybe they're back in business?

I'm a little bit confused as to exactly who's who making these grilles anymore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JBL-L100...item417032bad7

I'm a little bit confused as to exactly who's who making these grilles anymore.

That auctions was for grills sold by Sculpted Foam Innovations. I bought those for a pair of
    L100s that have the cloth grills JBL sold as a replacement kit when your original foam went
    South. Since my cloth grills are original JBL and in great shape, I decided it would be best
    to have the new foam mounted in a pair of replacement frames along with new badges. He
    had both, so I'm essentially getting a second pair of grills. My wife likes to redecorate a lot,
    so now I can contribute by going from Brown to Blue and back.

I'm a new guy here and haven't dealt with this person before, so I hope everything works out
    since I have a tidy sum tied up in this deal. I haven't received them yet, but I will post some
    pictures when they arrive, if anyone's interested.

Don

That was a big help. I contacted him and he's gonna be shipping me a pair of grills for my L-100s as well as a set for my Altec Valencia 846Bs. Very nice to deal with, too. Thanks for the assist.

Quote Originally Posted by daccawash View Post
    Doodle6,
    Yes... sonofagun is only one I have found to currently be in production of replacement JBL grille inserts. I spoke w him last week and he confirmed that wait time is at least six weeks. don't know which model you need but his website is www.foamspeakergrilles.com Hope this helps

Yes I am still in the foam grille (correct spelling is with an "e") business - right now am absolutely swamped with orders almost to the point of considering not taking anymore until I catch up.

Problem is finding good help in my area. Lately been trying to get local business assistance to expand opeartions but it seems to be a slooowww process in the backwoods town I'm in. Even found a great buy on a large facility (12,000 sq. ft.) I could use but don't have the means to acquire it. Looking for a partner - I have product plans above and beyond just foam grilles (major business in itself).

Got those new quadrex foam grills from Sculpted Foam Innovations a while back. Here are a few pictures showing the cloth vs the foam.
    He did a real nice job. The grills look OE and the color is exactly how I remembered it from back in the day. I guess there are two sources
    for replacement inserts.

dogger

Been a long time since I posted here. I ended up buying a house which has become my new hobby (but now I have more room for speakers, etc ).

Anyways, here are some pictures of my L100s. They look pretty good, but aren't museum quality. I probably should refinish the black component face of the speaker. Thanks for looking.

Greg

Interesting discolor between the cabinets after sanding:

After Watco Danish Oil:

I cheated a little and used some non-original binding posts. They are much nicer though and don't really take away from the original look of the speaker.

The grilles came from foamspeakergrilles. Excellent guy. Sent me some samples, good communication, great product.

I made this for laughs too:

Current Foam Insert Source

Hello Friends.

Bit of a dated thread, but I'm looking to do some restoration work on my L100.

Would anyone know if there's a current source for foam inserts (that isn't sitting in a cargo ship off Long Beach for 6 months )

Same for the grill mount plastic dowels

Much Appreciated
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Thread Information