+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: JBL L100 Foam Inserts

  1. #1
    Senior Member Greg86z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    132

    JBL L100 Foam Inserts

    Well, I'll be in the market for some new foam inserts for my L100s once I finish sanding and oiling the cabinets. However, after doing some research, I've found that Foam Trends, which seems to be a preferred company based on previous posts I've read on various forums, no longer makes foam inserts. However, I did see that Sculpted Foam Innovations is making foam inserts. Unfortunately, I've read a bit about them and based on that, would prefer to avoid doing business with them.

    Does Foam Trends do foam inserts every now and then, or are they completely out of the game? PS: I'm going burnt orange for the full effect.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Greg86z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    132
    No one?

  3. #3
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DC 'burbs
    Posts
    7,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg86z28 View Post
    No one?
    Lansing Forum member Sonofagun does very nice L100 foam grills...
    2ch - Oppo981, JoLida502, JBL L200+, KEF 105.4
    HT7- XDA-2, BDP93, 4b NRB, B&K 5ch amp, Vandy 3A, 2Ce, VCC1, TF600 & JBL 4641

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,099
    Seems like I recall him trying to sell off that business a while back, I don't remember if he ever did.

  5. #5
    Junior Member Mjcaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg86z28 View Post
    Well, I'll be in the market for some new foam inserts for my L100s once I finish sanding and oiling the cabinets. However, after doing some research, I've found that Foam Trends, which seems to be a preferred company based on previous posts I've read on various forums, no longer makes foam inserts. However, I did see that Sculpted Foam Innovations is making foam inserts. Unfortunately, I've read a bit about them and based on that, would prefer to avoid doing business with them.

    Does Foam Trends do foam inserts every now and then, or are they completely out of the game? PS: I'm going burnt orange for the full effect.

    I just ordered a pair from Sculpted Foam Innovations. What's the bad word?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    11

    Foam grilles, anywhere?

    Inherited pair of L100's, have frames, looking for inserts. Does anyone know where to find them? I recently emailed Forum Member Sonofagun, but have no response. FoamTrends and Sculpted Foam suppliers seem to be toast. Anyone?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by daccawash View Post
    Inherited pair of L100's, have frames, looking for inserts. Does anyone know where to find them? I recently emailed Forum Member Sonofagun, but have no response. FoamTrends and Sculpted Foam suppliers seem to be toast. Anyone?
    Ditto, have a pair in need of foam around tweets and for grills. Any reply yet from sonofagun?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    11

    Foam Grilles

    Doodle6,
    Yes... sonofagun is only one I have found to currently be in production of replacement JBL grille inserts. I spoke w him last week and he confirmed that wait time is at least six weeks. don't know which model you need but his website is www.foamspeakergrilles.com Hope this helps

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    175
    I just found this listing on eBay today; maybe they're back in business?

    I'm a little bit confused as to exactly who's who making these grilles anymore.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JBL-L100...item417032bad7

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    2
    I'm a little bit confused as to exactly who's who making these grilles anymore.

    That auctions was for grills sold by Sculpted Foam Innovations. I bought those for a pair of
    L100s that have the cloth grills JBL sold as a replacement kit when your original foam went
    South. Since my cloth grills are original JBL and in great shape, I decided it would be best
    to have the new foam mounted in a pair of replacement frames along with new badges. He
    had both, so I'm essentially getting a second pair of grills. My wife likes to redecorate a lot,
    so now I can contribute by going from Brown to Blue and back.


    I'm a new guy here and haven't dealt with this person before, so I hope everything works out
    since I have a tidy sum tied up in this deal. I haven't received them yet, but I will post some
    pictures when they arrive, if anyone's interested.

    Don

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    109
    That was a big help. I contacted him and he's gonna be shipping me a pair of grills for my L-100s as well as a set for my Altec Valencia 846Bs. Very nice to deal with, too. Thanks for the assist.

    Quote Originally Posted by daccawash View Post
    Doodle6,
    Yes... sonofagun is only one I have found to currently be in production of replacement JBL grille inserts. I spoke w him last week and he confirmed that wait time is at least six weeks. don't know which model you need but his website is www.foamspeakergrilles.com Hope this helps

  12. #12
    Senior Member sonofagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Evart, MI
    Posts
    989
    Yes I am still in the foam grille (correct spelling is with an "e") business - right now am absolutely swamped with orders almost to the point of considering not taking anymore until I catch up.

    Problem is finding good help in my area. Lately been trying to get local business assistance to expand opeartions but it seems to be a slooowww process in the backwoods town I'm in. Even found a great buy on a large facility (12,000 sq. ft.) I could use but don't have the means to acquire it. Looking for a partner - I have product plans above and beyond just foam grilles (major business in itself).

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    2
    Got those new quadrex foam grills from Sculpted Foam Innovations a while back. Here are a few pictures showing the cloth vs the foam.
    He did a real nice job. The grills look OE and the color is exactly how I remembered it from back in the day. I guess there are two sources
    for replacement inserts.

    dogger




  14. #14
    Senior Member Greg86z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    132
    Been a long time since I posted here. I ended up buying a house which has become my new hobby (but now I have more room for speakers, etc ).

    Anyways, here are some pictures of my L100s. They look pretty good, but aren't museum quality. I probably should refinish the black component face of the speaker. Thanks for looking.

    Greg



    Interesting discolor between the cabinets after sanding:


    After Watco Danish Oil:




    I cheated a little and used some non-original binding posts. They are much nicer though and don't really take away from the original look of the speaker.


    The grilles came from foamspeakergrilles. Excellent guy. Sent me some samples, good communication, great product.



    I made this for laughs too:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade posts on JBL L100/ Grill inserts
    By drumiv in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 03:09 AM
  2. New L100 Foam Grill Inserts
    By Ralphh in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts