Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SUB1500 Projects

Niklas Nord

SUB1500 Projects

I have not seen many projects suing SUB1500 on this
    forum. Many where sold do members of this forum.

What have you all been doin with the SUB1500´s ?

Mine are just on the floor, waiting for me.. taking semester
    and building the big big towers of mass destruction.

Would be fun to see some pictures, thoughts, data on the
    cabinets and impressions of your projects.

for inspiration and fun

sfogg
    I'm using four of the Sub1500s in my home theater in a pair of subs. Each cabinet is roughly 6 ft^3 and is sealed and stuffed with about 5lbs of Acusta-Stuf each. Front baffles on the cabinets are 1.5" thick. They are driven by a Crown K2.

Because I was too busy building the theater room I had John at Stryke Audio build the cabinets for me. He did a great job and was very reasonably priced.... less then half the cost of the drivers.

Because this is a theater I wasn't worried about a nice finish on these so I just spray painted them with a textured flat black finish.

This is the front speaker array.

Eventually it will be hidden behind an acoustically transparent black cloth but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Shawn

Niklas Nord
    So each driver has some 3 cubic feet, 87 liters per driver.
    I guess you dont have to EQ these...

They look very compact, then i look at the pictures and
    i guess they must be some 95cm high and 55cm deep
    and 48cm wide... impressive..

waaooow

Have you been trying theese out at some LOUD LOUD levels?
    Do you feel the pressure

sfogg
    "87 liters per driver. I guess you dont have to EQ these... "

I haven't measured their low end response yet in this room but it doesn't seem like they are going to need much in the way of a bass boost. The room is very solidly constructed (staggered studs, doubled drywall glued and screwed) and I think I'm getting some room gain which is helping to prop up their low end. I may try a little though just to see what it is like.

They are EQed by my Lexicon. That is to reduce the rooms resonances though not to extended their range down.

"They look very compact, then i look at the pictures and i guess they must be some 95cm high and 55cm deep and 48cm wide..."

Fairly close, they are 35" tall, 24" deep and 16" wide. The depth and height were sized to match the LaScalas next to them which helps to 'hide' their size. From the front they don't look quite as big but when you see them from the side they look larger.

"Have you been trying theese out at some LOUD LOUD levels? "

I've run them at +5dB over THX reference level during the attack sequence of 'Pearl Harbor' which means for the LFE channel they could potentially need to do 120dB at the listening position. The whole system handled that just fine though and I don't have the sub limiters turned on in the Lex.

"Do you feel the pressure "

You can feel the bass for sure. But I'm use to that as in my old room I was using a ServoDrive Contrabass for the LFE as well as a pair of smaller ACI sealed subwoofers. That setup wouldn't quite fit in the new room and I wanted stereo subs which is why I built these.

Shawn

Niklas Nord
    Thank you, very interesting to read about your setup.

I like your K-Horns Shawn!

I started my audio "career" with them.

Sfog, I love the braces he built into the boxes. Looks like he milled them but I guess he did it with a router? Did he dado them into the walls of the box or butt joint. Also did he use mdf and two layers of it on the baffle? I know you didnt build them but thought I might give the questions a go anyway. I have a pair of sub1500s temporarily in L200 boxes and need to build dedicated boxes.

sfogg
    "Looks like he milled them but I guess he did it with a router?"

I think John has a CNC router which he did all the cuts on. I loved the braces too which is why I tried to get some shots of them.

Since they were CNCed he could probably duplicate them pretty easily if anyone was looking for a pre-built box.

"Did he dado them into the walls of the box or butt joint."

I believe it was just a butt joint but I didn't really inspect them very closly. If they were dadoed it was a very precise fit.

" Also did he use mdf and two layers of it on the baffle?"

Yup, all MDF and the front baffle is two layers. I was actually kind of kicking myself that I didn't have these done in Baltic Birch though. That way I could have finished that directly and the 'look' would have been pretty close to that of the LaScala's.

Hope this helps,

Shawn

THX +5dB

That is damn loud!

I usually play movies at THX reference or just below. Typically when I have friends over THX -5dB seems to be a preferred level. Maybe all my friends are just mellow types. I have been known to play U2's Rattle and Hum or Stop Making Sense by the Heads at THX +10, but then I am trying to really recreate the experience of a live show.

My main speakers are rated at 101dB @ 1 watt compared to the LaScalas 105dB but seem able to get the job done pretty well with only one pair of Sub 1500s.

For some real shaking let me suggest the opening explosion of Cold Mountain or the mid air collision in Fight Club. The latter actually exceeds my measly pair of Sub 1500s at THX reference, but it really exceeds my threshold too! When the plane comes apart the sonic impact makes you feel as though you are being struck by shrapnel. I find turning down to THX -2dB is still plenty destructive!

Widget

MJC
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sfogg
    [B]"87 liters per driver. I guess you dont have to EQ these...
    They are EQed by my Lexicon. That is to reduce the rooms resonances though not to extended their range down.

Which Lexicon are you using? I've been thinking about getting a MC12 or MC8.
    Last edited by MJC; 09-30-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Originally posted by sfogg
    "

Hope this helps,

Shawn
    Thanks, it helps a lot. I didnt notice you created an anechoic chamber for your room until I looked at it in photoshop

sfogg
    Widget,

"That is damn loud! "

Yeah it was. That was the first day the room was really up and running (after many many hours of work) and my wife had friends over for a theater premier day. One of her friends husbands is also big into home theater. I had it playing at Ref level and he asked me to turn it up from there...never had that happen before. That was to loud to regularly listen like that but for that one demo the power was awesome. We were both grinning like idiots after that.

It helps that my room is small and very solid (double drywall glued and screwed on staggered studs) so bass is a lot easier in there then in a large open floor plan. Also because the resonances are controlled it doesn't seem as loud. With the EQ turned off they are pounding away 5 or 10dB louder which makes the overall SPL level seem that much louder.

MJC,

"Which Lexicon are you using? I've been thinking about getting a MC12 or MC8."

MC-12B w/v4. Since that is sort of OT feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions on them.

andresohc,

"I didnt notice you created an anechoic chamber for your room until I looked at it in photoshop"

Doesn't do much of anything in the bass but it helps quite a bit higher up. Front wall (behind the screen) is 4" tiles. Entire ceiling is 2" tiles and the side walls up front are 3" then 2" tiles. I still need to do some on the rear wall and a little on the side walls by the listener.

Shawn

Has anyone got any information on the new W1500l as used in the HB5000?

Looks a meaty drive unit Niklas.

Obsolete
    You mean the W1500H?

It's an updated version of the 1500SUB with a beefier frame, slightly improved excursion and lower distortion.

Niklas Nord
    I´m crying

Thread Information