Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing 4333A - question.

Purchasing 4333A - question.

Hi all,
    I've been lurking around here for a while and have never seen any vintage JBL for sale locally, until now.

I've found a pair of 4333A located about 100 miles from me. The gentlemen had purchased them new in 1976. The woofers were re-coned in 98. He claims they are 9 out of 10.

I'm going this weekend to inspect them, and will hear them for the first time (very excited!). I've done a search of the forum and have read all the threads on the 4333A.

My question is, other than the general condition of the drivers, are there anything else I should be looking for?

The price is about $1400 USD. Is this fair? I believe these are well regarded speakers. Are there other JBL's I should consider instead for similar prices?

Thanks for all your help.
    Kevin

Hello Kevin

Those are some nice speakers! I think the price sound's fair to me but let's see what the rest of the guys think. I would check the cabinets for signs of water damage. You see enough of it on Ebay so can't hurt. Sounds like the woofers are in good shape. You will new diaphrams for the compression driver and ring radiator if they are still original sooner or later. If they were wall flowers you may luck out and have the originals in good condition. That can be expensive depending on what you choose but unless they sound awful you can always do it down the road a bit. Figure with the 2420 you can go 2421 aluminum or 2425 titanium depending on what you like better. You won't know till you have a listen. Good luck and bring your favorites with you.

As far as other speakers well you could look into 4430's but that's a matter of taste and you really do need to hear them to make a decission. You will probably have a preference for one or the other but either set-up right can be a killer set-up.

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 09-29-2004 at 04:59 PM.

I think at a 9 out of 10 rating that's a great price in walnut veneer. I don't know what the grey cabinets run but I would consider that for the painted cabinets if they were 8 out of 10 condition.
    Last edited by Audiobeer; 09-29-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Huh...they also come in grey painted cabs?? Damn, I just assumed they were walnut veneer (and already convinced my wife they would look good in the family room ). I have to call the seller and ask what cabs they are in tomorrow.

Is there a general guideline what the diff in price between the walnut veneer and painted grey cab is? I assume the walnut veneer will be more. Is $1400 fair for the grey cab?

Thanks guys.

Kevin

Let me put it to you this way. It's very easy to make your money back and then some buy simply parting them out......but after you here them you won't want to do that. There is no set rule how much a grey cabinet is compared to a walnut veneered. But everyone here would agree that at least $200 more for a walnut model would be a minimum.

I recently bought a pair of 4333a and am still working on the woofers, so I'm listening with the 2225H's substituted in. I have them in my vinyl setup with a 60 wpc tube amp, small for these speakers. My vinyl setup is not very tweak and exists merely so I can play my records.

I bought these speakers because I am curious about the classic JBL large format monitors. Because of the freak component alignment I cannot really say anything about the sound, except that it's dynamism is enjoyable. However, I can say that I doubt the 4333A will displace the LSR32 from my SACD/DVD system around the TV.

The walnut cabinets are finished on four sides so that they can be mounted horizontally. You can see what I mean if you study the baffle in the brochure available in the LH library. The "bottoms" of mine are therefore unprotected walnut veneer and are a bit scuffed. The cabinets are made of 1" particle board with a 13-ply nearly 1" baffle board. They are very solid, contain the bass energy very well and weigh about 135 lb each.

With the speakers sitting on the floor the tweeter and mid-range are too low for my taste, so you must seriously consider the possibility you will want some kind of base.

I agree with the other forumites that $1400 is not an abusive price, especially for the walnut. At that price you should be able to enjoy the speakers as long as you want and recover most of your investment easily when it is time to pass them on, or maybe even make a couple of bucks. But since you asked, $1400 could open the door to some interesting options: 1) the already mentioned 4430; 2) the LSR32; 3) perhaps some of JBL's interesting domestic models from the 80's and 90's. I don't really have any experience with the domestic models myself, but they are will mentioned in these forums.

David
    Last edited by speakerdave; 09-29-2004 at 07:50 PM.

I have to agree with Dave when it comes to his assesment of the sound with his setup. I had my pair hooked up to a Sansui AU-919. I liked the sound. I then hooked them up to a Mcintosh 2255 amp and a Mcintosh C-33 pream. I was amazed at the transformation from 110 watts to 255 watt. The 4433s love power and reflect that. I went to the L-300s which are virtualy the same speaker but are tilted in such away to disperse the sound towards the listener. The 4333s are a studio monitor and they are hard to find without holes drilled into them as they were configured in studios to be hung. A base made for them to sit on would help a great deal as for as the sound goes. I do agree that a pair of 4430s may sound better to most but finding a pair that is in mint shape and is local isn't going to happen for the money you are spending from what I have seen out there. But if you are patient it might. That's what is fun about these models......if your smart and buy them right, you can enjoy them for a time and make a buck passing them on.

For what it,s worth there was a guy selling a pair of 4435,s about 6 months ago and they sold for $1800,00 in toronto.
    Its a big city if you keep looking your bound to find anything you want around there. a lot of recording studios and stuff all over southern ont.

Thanks everyone for your info.

Thought I'd give a update. I took delivery of the 4334A today. They are in grey cabs but are in very good conditions. They've only been used in the previous owner's family room so I don't think they've been driven very hard. There are some nicks at the cab corners, but nothing serious.

It was quite a workout carrying them to my basement family room (19"x28"). I hooked them up to my temporary setup, a vintage McIntosh MC225 and a old cdp. Initial impression is awesome! Much BIGGER sound then my current speakers (Coincident Technology Super Conquest). The midrange and highs seems effortless. Well, you guys already know the idea. However, one thing I notice is the bass is lighter than I expected. It's there, but not as low as I expected from those 15 inchers. I'm guessing my amp (25w/ch) is not up to the task?? And I'm not sure if the mac can damp those huge woofers effectively.

Anyone with good recommendation for amp (I'll probably buy used) that doesn't break the bank?

BTW, one interesting tidbit. The previous owner paid $2700 (US) for the speakers in 1976. He told me in 1974 he also bought a new Honda Civic for the same price . Wow, these were expensive speakers!

Kevin

Originally posted by kevf
    The previous owner paid $2700 (US) for the speakers in 1976.
    The price list is in the library on this site.

They are great speakers!

John Nebel
    Last edited by John Nebel; 10-02-2004 at 08:00 PM.

Your lacking in the bass is definitely in the amp. Get one with some B%@##*!

However, one thing I notice is the bass is lighter than I expected. It's there, but not as low as I expected from those 15 inchers. I'm guessing my amp (25w/ch) is not up to the task?? And I'm not sure if the mac can damp those huge woofers effectively.
    Those speakers, as are most others, extremely placement sensitive. Move them up against walls and into the corners and they will become bass heavy. They do prefer an amp that has very good damping control. Your small Mac probably isn't the best choice. You would probably like the speakers best with that amp on the highs and bi-amp with a big solid state unit on the woofer.

BTW, one interesting tidbit. The previous owner paid $2700 (US) for the speakers in 1976. He told me in 1974 he also bought a new Honda Civic for the same price . Wow, these were expensive speakers!
    That fact is often missed by many on this forum. They cost the same as an economy car then and the new K2 series cost about the same as an economy car today. So before you gripe about how much the good JBL stuff costs today remember quality costs plenty. It always has.

Widget

BTW, Congratulations!

Hey you have a camera how's about some pictures??

Rob

Here are some pics...(sorry, I dunno how to imbed them in the message).

Mmm..the bi-amping sounds interesting. I did a search on the forum and came up empty. Is there any info on how this can be done? Thanks a bunch...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And the pair.

Thread Information