Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Take on an Old Topic

New Take on an Old Topic

Vinyl vs. Digital?

Ok, here is the deal. From a simple objective standpoint, I think high quality digital and uber clean and high quality vinyl playback can both be extremely pleasing and possibly hard to tell apart. That said, they really are not the same, since even 16 bit digital has a much wider dynamic range than vinyl records. Most quality CDs have minimal compression and most vinyl records do have a fair amount of compression to fit within the rather limited dynamic range of the medium. Then there is the question of the source material for the mastering of the CD or the record. If the original is an old noisy analog tape even the CD will sound noisy, if the vinyl record was made from an early generation digital master then the vinyl record can sound pretty lifeless and dull. Then there is the subjective process of mastering. Who did the mastering? Where was it done and with what gear?

So what am I getting at?

Yesterday, I dusted off the original The Cars CD and thought I'd give it a listen... it sounded pretty poor. I hadn't played it much, probably because it sounded so bad, but I started thinking, that album was one of my references back in college. I pulled the record from my collection... the same disc I had played decades earlier but probably not once since the '80s. It sounded great. The mix was different, the vocals were not so edgy and up front and in my face, the tone was much richer, the overall sound was much more pleasing to me. Now, I am not saying that vinyl is all of these things and digital is not, I am saying the particular CD I have and the particular vinyl album I have do not sound remotely similar and in this case, I much prefer the analog record.

I then compared an audiophile vinyl record of a fairly recent Norah Jones album and the CD... they sounded fairly similar. Here, if I had a better DAC perhaps I would prefer the digital, as it turns out I still preferred the analog record, but the digital was also quite enjoyable... so perhaps the question shouldn't be format as much as who mastered the particular cut and how good of a job they did.

Just something to think about... for me the quest is shifting. For years I never felt my gear was good enough, now it is more a matter of the recordings. Instead of finding the perfect speaker wire, I'd suggest find the best recordings of the music you like. Obviously often times we don't have choices, but for many of these classics, there are numerous choices out there. If others have had similar experiences, it would be nice to compile a do and don't list.

Widget

FWIW, a friend and I compared various CDs and SACDs, with 16-bit and 24-bit mastering. We couldn't tell much difference between CD, SACD, or DVD audio formats, but 16-bit vs. 24-bit mastering was in some cases very obvious. That agrees with the opinion of a lot of recording engineers, that 16 bits is sometimes not enough for the processing that goes on at a studio.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

I think both formats can sound outstanding but at what cost? I like the convenience of digital but it seems like a budget turntable still sounds better than most 2k Dacs. Digital will close the gap in cost in the next 5 years but the last DAC i heard that sounded better than vinyl was a 10k Debussey

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    I think both formats can sound outstanding but at what cost? I like the convenience of digital but it seems like a budget turntable still sounds better than most 2k Dacs. Digital will close the gap in cost in the next 5 years but the last DAC i heard that sounded better than vinyl was a 10k Debussey
    That all may be, but you've missed my point entirely... while the merits of analog and digital have been and will continue to be debated ad nauseam, my point was that in some cases, one version of the music for sale is clearly different from another even though they are being sold as being ostensibly the same thing.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That all may be, but you've missed my point entirely... while the merits of analog and digital have been and will continue to be debated ad nauseam, my point was that in some cases, one version of the music for sale is clearly different from another even though they are being sold as being ostensibly the same thing.Widget
    I understood your view but I guess I did a poor job in explaining mine so ill try to explain it better. Never been good at expressing in words how something sounds. The recording process has drastically improved over the years but micing techniques haven't. People still love using a shure sm58 and many others and while Reel to reel & digital recording have their uses to making an album sound good or bad, the medium to bring out that recording will be the deciding factor. I feel cd and vinyl recordings are on par sound wise (both being mastered well) but the mediums (tables vs dacs) are not. That's what I was trying to get at. I've heard bad recordings on a dac sound relatively good (more forgiving) cause it couldn't bring out details and tables be brutally honest. Once dacs are on par with tables, then we'll fully be able to say this recording is better recorded on this or that format. Also on a side note at least from my own experience the lower gain type cd (often used when making jazz albums) sound excellent while rock albums (aveage artist) have to high gain and come across harsh. But on vinyl sound good almost all the time.

Not sure I agree - Widget was talking about The cars CD and Vinyl - it that instance it may have been one of the early rush-to-CD releases where the vinyl was fine but the CD wasn't mastered well. I have a ton of those early-mid 80 releases where the CD is just harsh to listen to, but the vinyl is better. Thats not about how the music was mastered within the studio, its the final mastering from tape for the CD media that got screwed up. Should we call it the secondary mastering?

And of course these days, the mastering goes to digital media hard drives and the like.

Then that source is used to create the media. Sometimes its done well, sometimes (like Zeppelin Mothership) the secondary mastering is so hot that dynamic range of the media is gone ... its harsh and a mess.

I think he actually was asking for SPECIFIC ALBUMS where you could tell the difference - maybe even dates for specific releases on specific media ... I know with movies on DVD which release it is makes a real difference.

I recently got the remastered Moody Blues CDs in the Deluxe surround packages - and found the mixes were radically different than what I remembered from my days of listening to the vinyl releases ... Its possible it was too many smokey nights - but I don't think so - just don't have the vinyl handy anymore to compare ...

I also remember back in the day it was hell to find a clean pressing of Blonde on Blonde ... but stamping issues are a different matter entirely ...

And why the heck does this ignorant forum software take out all the white space and mash all the sentences into a single block of text - I had to re-edit my re-edits so it was readable again!!!

I understood your view but I guess I did a poor job in explaining mine so ill try to explain it better. Never been good at expressing in words how something sounds. The recording process has drastically improved over the years but micing techniques haven't. People still love using a shure sm58 and many others and while Reel to reel & digital recording have their uses to making an album sound good or bad, the medium to bring out that recording will be the deciding factor. I feel cd and vinyl recordings are on par sound wise (both being mastered well) but the mediums (tables vs dacs) are not. That's what I was trying to get at. I've heard bad recordings on a dac sound relatively good (more forgiving) cause it couldn't bring out details and tables be brutally honest. Once dacs are on par with tables, then we'll fully be able to say this recording is better recorded on this or that format. Also on a side note at least from my own experience the lower gain type cd (often used when making jazz albums) sound excellent while rock albums (aveage artist) have to high gain and come across harsh. But on vinyl sound good almost all the time.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I had a similar experience - remember when 24bit/96Khz Audio only DVD's came out and Chesky was really pushing them? I bought a bunch of them with the intent of A/B'ing them against the CD's, especially the Rebecca Pidgeon stuff that I really loved. Unfortunately, the mix was slightly different, and I liked the CD's mix better. To this day the CD's been played hundreds of times, the Audio DVD maybe a dozen...it's about the music.

My father purchased a turntable about a decade ago, not because he was an audiophile (though he is), but because he had many favorite classical performances that were in mono and would never be re-issued on a newer format - for him it's more about the experience than the fidelity.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

HTjamesHow would someone be able to discern that? I'd love to have a good list of albums that are recorded well but someone would need nice gear to truly hear the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I think he actually was asking for SPECIFIC ALBUMS where you could tell the difference - maybe even dates for specific releases on specific media ... I know with movies on DVD which release it is makes a real difference.
    Exactly... and I agree about the DVD comment as well, a well mastered DVD can look better than a poorly mastered Blue-ray disc.

Regarding the editing, that began with the last "update"... it is annoying.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    My father purchased a turntable about a decade ago, not because he was an audiophile (though he is), but because he had many favorite classical performances that were in mono and would never be re-issued on a newer format - for him it's more about the experience than the fidelity.
    I agree... but for me in The Cars album example, I hadn't listened to the music in years even though I really like the music... it just sounded bad and I have lots of other music that sounds great so I migrated elsewhere.

Widget

HTjamesHow would someone be able to discern that? I'd love to have a good list of albums that are recorded well but someone would need nice gear to truly hear the difference.
    You have a point... it will be harder to hear subtleties with a lower end system, but a lot of this can be heard on anything better than a basic Bose system.

Widget

The only few I can think off the top of my head are

Denali - vinyl

Depeche Mode - cd.

Buddy Guy "sweat tea" cd

ZZ Top Tres Hombres. Had the album, it was a staple at parties around here growing up. It got lost or borrowed or something, so I got a CD some years later. It sounded like it was recorded in a barrel. Strange phase effects, or reverb, or something done to it.

There's not a better DAC or transport or anything that can fix that mix.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    ZZ Top Tres Hombres. Had the album, it was a staple at parties around here growing up. It got lost or borrowed or something, so I got a CD some years later. It sounded like it was recorded in a barrel. Strange phase effects, or reverb, or something done to it.

There's not a better DAC or transport or anything that can fix that mix.
    Exactly the sort of thing that got me started on this thread. I think there are probably quite a few recordings out there like that. There may also be some that go the other way. There may be some that missed the mark originally and have been remastered as CDs that are actually better than the original CD.

Widget

Reminds me of an "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode re Frank's jazz records.

A lot of The Cars recordings were reissued in HDCD ... I don't recall if the BDA-1 decodes
    (going to have to dig out my various media copies now )

I've certainly experienced CD reissues of recordings that were flat or un-listenable, yet magic on vinyl.
    I'm blaming the record companies, as I've heard magic on CD as well.

Thread Information