Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The M9500 Thread

Hi Mr. Widget
    I have noticed a marked improvement in the upper bass and lower midrange of the 1500AL over the 2235H in a system where I am crossing over around 600-650Hz.

I notice similar subjective results using the ME150 with its' 1/2" deep gap when compared to a 2235h or even a 2225h. A 2220a with a 2225h cone kit is somewhat in the middle - for transient response. ( I have a pair that I may "foam" into 223?? to lower the Fs ) .

I don't want to bury the le14 series at all. I dearly love these woofers . They are quite special. A few weeks ago, here at the forum on a similar topic ( I forget which thread ), I read my own older words about the upper mid response of the le14 being - "dead like cardboard ". As I stated, this prompted me to use an le10 over the horn in my MTM arrangement . I still stand by those words/practice but I feel the words/emotion I used was over stated. Recently, I've listened to one of my le14a woofs fullrange - my immediate impression was : "What a nice sound, with a really nice controlled response ". I did the same ( full-range) test on the ME150H for A/B purposes - the le14a won hands down . The recently posted response graph in the LE14H-1 Freq. Range (thread ) might give the opposite impression for the le14h. I have a pair so I guess I should give them a listen to see if they are markedly different from older le14a(s) .
    What's all this mean ? I don't know, maybe a person just needs to follow his own instincts/ears and damn the torpedoes ???

<> Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 10-05-2004 at 04:38 PM.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    I don't have personal experience with them, but I was under the impression that the LE14H and LE14H-1 were not really recommended above about 500Hz due to their heavily aquaplas treated cones.

Have you tried them up to 650Hz? I have noticed a marked improvement in the upper bass and lower midrange of the 1500AL over the 2235H in a system where I am crossing over around 600-650Hz. I realize these are very different woofers, but I would expect the 2235H is even better in this range than the LE14s.

Widget
    I'm running them in my second pair of 240Ti's and they sound decent enough. You might be right though Mr. Widget but I'd still be curious. Unfortunately I'm not curious enough to try anything personally with my four LE14H-1's right now. Too many other irons in the fire!

The LE14H-1 has a Bl of 22 T*m and a moving mass of 145 grams while the 2235H has a Bl of 20.5 T*m and a moving mass of 155 grams.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Earl K
    I have a pair so I guess I should give them a listen to see if they are markedly different from older le14a(s) .
    I'd like to hear your opinion.

I once participated in an A/B of L220's loaded with LE14A's and L220's loaded with LE14H's.

le14h vs le14a

Originally posted by Giskard

I once participated in an A/B of L220's loaded with LE14A's and L220's loaded with LE14H's.
    Okay,, sometime this week I'll do an A/B of the two .

I do remember my last listening impression of the le14h ( this is 3/4 of a year old ) was that it was sounding really constrained in the C53? "Libra" box it was loaded in. Mostly I remember that its' transient response in the bass area was noticably stronger. It "kicked" while the le14a sort of "woofed". I was playing around with different Fs figures back then - so I thought that might be a contributing factor. But still, I always find that ferrite magnets "out-kick" alnicos - though I have no way of knowing if my alnico magnets are up to spec .

<> Earl K

le14a vs le14h

Originally posted by Giskard
    Yep, just as I stated above , the LF transients from the le14h walk away from the le14a. The le14h "kicks" faster and harder than the le14a. Sensitivities are about identical up to 1K, then this le14a starts a slow roll-off , with a curve somewhere 1/2 way between the posted le14h-1 and the le14h . This le14h example shows a 4.5 db spike at around 1600 hz ( similar to the posted response graph for the le14h ).
    Overall my le14h(s) have more top-end info than my le14a(s) .

<. Earl K

Niklas!! Help with horn?

Hello Niklas!

Could you please check your PM

Hi,

Does anyone know the name of the cables supplied and used between the M9500 and the external network M9500X?

Also, the bi wire connectors of the M9500X.

Are they still available? Are they anything special?

Thanks.

Does anyone know the crossover points and slopes of this speaker? A graph of the acoustical target curves per driver/element would be nice to see. Or the voltage drive of the crossover networks.

Thread Information