Thread: JBL Lancer 99 - Type E8-99 - LX4-1 restoration!

JBL Lancer 99 - Type E8-99 - LX4-1 restoration!

And not much of a clue as to where to begin. Recently stumbled upon them in my parent's garage and thought restoring these would be a fun DIY home project.

Pretty sure the "Lansalloy" needs to be replaced/refoamed, but unsure what to replace it with. I checked out the sticky on refoaming and it seems pretty straightforward but just wanted to get suggestions on the kit to use.

I'm assuming I want to retain the drivers/crossover, but one of the cones seems to have mild damage on it. They're in working condition, but they don't sound as clean as I'd like them to.

Also, curious if I can do anything to the crossover in order to "clean" it up, like replacing capacitors.

And then there's the tweeters. I've read that the tweeters on these are just OK and that better ones can be installed. Thoughts? I'd like to retain the original speakers as much as possible, but I'm not going to shy away from the opportunity to improve on sound.

I know this was my first post on here, but geez guys. Nothing?

Main questions at this point:
    1. Cone damage. To replace, fix, or ignore? Damage doesn't pierce through all the way so is this just considered cosmetic?
    2. Surrounds. Any recommendations on what to replace the lansalloy with?
    3. Ewave & cabs. I'm looking at going the ewave route using these cabs but read that they are a bit small for the LE14A drivers. Thoughts? How can I determine this?
    4. Mid/Tweeter compression driver. Recommendations? Seems like a lot of people use the Selenium D220Ti due to price, but have also read that the B&C DE250 and BMS 4550 are better drivers.
    5. Crossover. Where to begin? Can anyone point me to some good reading on using software for measurements and design? If I'm not mistaken, an ideal xo design is dependant upon the drivers and cabinet used.

Its a lancer 99 - the Lansalloy surrounds get hard on those - there are some threads here that talk about rejuvenating the surround with a carefully applied treatment of DOT 3 brake fluid ... you can search here for Lansalloy to find out the specifics.

If you want to instead do a refoam/ you can contact Rick Cobb and see what kit he recommends for those woofers ... prop $30-40 range - and he is the recommended source to use.

If you want to start swapping parts around, they won't be Lancer 99s anymore ...
    That may be fine - just not sure how many folks have specific tips on hotroding those old 2 way speakers.

Crossover rebuilds - most folks replace the old caps with newer ones of the same value - not hard work, just tedious to jot down the part numbers and order from Parts Express or madisound or whoever you like.

The real Q is how nice are the cabinets and grills? If they are battered, there may be better places to start your first refresh project ...

Quote Originally Posted by jdustinb View Post
    And not much of a clue as to where to begin. Recently stumbled upon them in my parent's garage and thought restoring these would be a fun DIY home project.

Pretty sure the "Lansalloy" needs to be replaced/refoamed, but unsure what to replace it with. I checked out the sticky on refoaming and it seems pretty straightforward but just wanted to get suggestions on the kit to use.

I'm assuming I want to retain the drivers/crossover, but one of the cones seems to have mild damage on it. They're in working condition, but they don't sound as clean as I'd like them to.

Also, curious if I can do anything to the crossover in order to "clean" it up, like replacing capacitors.

And then there's the tweeters. I've read that the tweeters on these are just OK and that better ones can be installed. Thoughts? I'd like to retain the original speakers as much as possible, but I'm not going to shy away from the opportunity to improve on sound.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Its a lancer 99 - the Lansalloy surrounds get hard on those - there are some threads here that talk about rejuvenating the surround with a carefully applied treatment of DOT 3 brake fluid ... you can search here for Lansalloy to find out the specifics.

If you want to instead do a refoam/ you can contact Rick Cobb and see what kit he recommends for those woofers ... prop $30-40 range - and he is the recommended source to use.

The real Q is how nice are the cabinets and grills? If they are battered, there may be better places to start your first refresh project ...
    Thanks, James! Will definitely check out Rick Cobb's refoam kit as the surrounds are cracked in places.

As for the cabinets and grills, they're in pretty good shape. I'm hoping with a little TLC, they'll be tip top.

Thread Information