Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl vs. Digital

I've got a couple slide rules.

Originally posted by dancing-dave
    A very well thought out horn path that would yeild the RIAA correction (anything can be done). Before I die I want to build a 100% mechanical/acoustic turntable/speaker set up that has full stereo sound. You would turn a crank to get the platter to spin and even have a pendulum system to regulate the speed.
    Send me an e-mail when you're done, I have to see, er... hear this!

... and if it is after the end of the world send me a note by carrier pigeon since your player will work long after the internet is gone.

Widget

dancing-dave
    It should be a good project. Just the kinds of idle thoughts I have. Anyhow. Analog rules, digital drools.

Charley Rummel
    To all you single-end transformerless guys:

HA! So you thought you had the ultimate answer for pure sound!!

Hey, Dave, any concepts or plans on the drawing board yet?

Regards,
    Charley

Sorry but they both suck To me you can get great music and sound out of either format. I still have my vinyl and plan on keeping it. I seem to get involving sound from either format and frankly don't see why people can be so polarized over it. Bottom line is the music and I will take whatever format they throw at us as long as I like the tunes.

Rob

Rob,

I agree with you about the polarity thing, but I would say they both can suck. They both can also sound pretty darn good too.

Taking a pair of really well mastered discs, say a CD and a SACD, the difference is similar to the difference between hearing a great system in a decent room and them hearing the exact same equipment in a really great room. Depending on the music it can be pretty subtle or quite dramatic.

LPs are not really an appropriate medium to use to compare analog to digital as they are not really an accurate representation of the analog original. To create an LP there is a fair amount of dynamic range compression necessary to make it work within the limitations of that format. Frequently the music is also equalized to reduce extreme bass energy which can cause playback problems. So if you compare an LP to a CD you are comparing too dissimilar takes on the same piece of music. The LP usually still sounds "better" in terms of space, but it really isn't a proper comparison.

Widget

dancing-dave

plans

Here's something like I was talking about. Cropped from here: http://www.garlic.com/~tgracyk/credenza.htm

Yes CD and vinyl have their good and bad points I must agree. I prefer vinyl when it can suit me as much as possible. Good music will shine through any medium.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yeah, but........

LPs are not really an appropriate medium to use to compare analog to digital as they are not really an accurate representation of the analog original. To create an LP there is a fair amount of dynamic range compression necessary to make it work within the limitations of that format. Frequently the music is also equalized to reduce extreme bass energy which can cause playback problems. So if you compare an LP to a CD you are comparing too dissimilar takes on the same piece of music. The LP usually still sounds "better" in terms of space, but it really isn't a proper comparison.

Widget

This exact subject has been the center of hot debate since the inception of digital audio and recording! Vinyl has inherent limitations, you cant fit all the bass, especially the really deep bass onto the record, limited dynamic range, surface noise, and not the ultimate in high frequency extension either!

And yet, upon listening to a well recorded piece of vinyl on a great system, or even just a good system, it seems to sound the exact opposite in spite of the formats numeric limitations! Limited dynamic range, yet vinyl seems to have dynamic swing that CD, 16 bit CD,s dont have! Limited bass but vinyl has a rounder, bigger sounding bottom. Highs cant go out to 20K, but you can get brilliant highs with good playback gear! The illusion of depth and space, and realism from a well recorded piece of vinyl makes the music sound real, very dimensional, CD,s have yet to accomplish this feat! SACD,s have it though!

I stopped believeing in the numbers years ago, because even back in the 80,s my ears just did not agree with the " scientific community "!

I know for a fact, that "I" have tried ernestly to love things they said was better, but if it didnt sound right, what could I say?

I agree that at this point in time, digital audio has come a long way, but it still isnt 100% there yet! And no numbers can tell me otherwise!

Hey Widget

Sure the analog master tapes are the way to go but who is lucky enough to hear those?? I certainly have never had the pleasure. The Half Speed Masters were a real treat and they tried, between mastering, vinyl quality, grove spacing and time per side to address many of the issues you mention. My Half Speeds are still part of my set-up material. Can they sound good!!!

Rob

I have heard many a master!

Being here in NYC, and having freinds in the music buisiness helps, so I have been to many studios and heard many masters!

Even promos on open reel at 15ips, sounds great, and isnt quite the master but still good, really good!

They used to cut Acetates direct from the master to give to select DJ,s and these sounded great too, but acetates wear out so they dont last long, but the sound of the first few plays!

I have many half speed remastered albums, and they sound great, maybe not the master, but you can get great results with great sounding gear and speakers.

On my system, I even get great results with commercial retail pressings.

By far the best vinyl I have heard is the UHQR series produced by Mobile Fidelity. Unfortunately these albums in mint condition go for many hundreds of dollars on eBay and the offerings are limited. Most of the selections are worthy though. A factory sealed Dark Side of the Moon will go for $750 to $1000.

Widget

dancing-dave
    I have the Beatles White Album on MFSL. Verrrrrry dynamic and very fun to listen to.

MFSL or MFSL UHQR in the half inch thick black box?

dancing-dave
    MFSL BMF limited edition hand numbered in a 0.74999" titanium alloy case. The vinyl is 300g carbide pressed in a small Japanese village only accessible by bicycle.

It says: "MFSL 2-072" on the sleeve" which is all I know about it.

Originally posted by dancing-dave
    MFSL BMF limited edition hand numbered in a 0.74999" titanium alloy case. The vinyl is 300g carbide pressed in a small Japanese village only accessible by bicycle.

The MFSL 2-072 wasn't a UHQR. Just your basic half speed mastered album from 1982. I did some checking and the White Album wasn't offered in a UHQR version.

If you ever run across one you should grab it they are really the closest thing to a master tape you will ever see.

Widget

Thread Information