Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl vs. Digital

Regis

Vinyl vs. Digital

I have a pretty good digital setup that sounds very, very nice. While the CD player is somewhat low-end, it doesn't really matter, because I'm taking it right off the transport and running it through an Audio Alchemy jitter reducer and then a Denon DAC, with dual Burr-Brown 20 bit linear converters. Most of the recently mixed jazz compilations as well as other material has no harshness and a lot of dynamic range. Clear highs and solid bass are the rule and I've been happy with the results.

Recently, I've been somewhat surprised when listening to vinyl. I now have a whole lot of vinyl and I'm starting to listen to it with a critical ear. Some of it was mixed like crap, Van Halen is all midrange, with no bottom end or really good highs whatsoever. But the real surprise came when I was recently listening to a mint Beck, Bogart and Appice record. The cut was "Superstition" and the intro guitar literally jumped right out of the speaker! I've never heard a CD that could match that sound. The experience was reinforced last night when I previewed the very strange Yamashita, Winwood and Shrieve album "Go". The last song on side 1 had the most bizzare side effects including a gong. I was cooking up a meal listening to it and the gong caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting it from the record, but the loud, clear sound reverberated through the room as if it was actually there! Then the cell phone started ringing and I wasn't sure whether it was the record or the phone that I was hearing. Something about vinyl that digital can't match and I know now, why there's such a following.

Figge
    Vinyl Rules!

what player/pickup r u using?

Regis

Modest setup

I'm using the Sansui computerized Linear Tracking TT with the stock magnetic phono cartridge (have to go with this as there's a sensor built in the phono head to automatically go to adjacent tracks). It sounds pretty good, but it's probably not up to what most vinyl guys consider as a "good" setup

My old TT many years ago was a Technics SL-1200 with an Audio Technica AT-SL240 Shibata stylus and the cartridge alone was $240 back in 1978! Maybe I'll go back to this setup as many of the AudioAsylum Vinyl guys really bag on the Linear TT's. You oughta see the arguments against them, but then they wail about tracking arm radius's and whatnot.

Then bad goes to worse and some of these guys have tonearms set up with air bearings. They have to have an air pump going to maintain the critical gaps and the maintenance sounds absurd. The pursuit of pure sound is an endless endeavor. It's like smoking crack, one puff and then you'll always pursue that first buzz and never get there!

Figge
    i dont need no vacum pump....yet.

probably nutn wrong with your TT. to bad u cant swich cartridge though, the ones u get as stock are usually not the best around, but can perform pretty well. if can change pickup try doin it.

or if u still have the sl-1200 around, dig it out and hook it up to see how u like it, that one takes allmost any pickup, and its direct-drive wich i would prefer. im actually looking to change my dual 505 to a 1200 or 1210.

and yes it can allwys be better. but u gotta draw a line somewhere....right?
    Last edited by Figge; 09-29-2004 at 09:20 AM.

Re: Vinyl vs. Digital

Originally posted by Regis
    I have a pretty good digital setup ... has no harshness and a lot of dynamic range. Clear highs and solid bass are the rule and I've been happy with the results.

Recently, I've been somewhat surprised when listening to vinyl. ...the intro guitar literally jumped right out of the speaker! I've never heard a CD that could match that sound.
    So often we get caught up on frequency response and issues surrounding the linearity of playback. Sure this is important, but the glory is in the details.

Image depth and other subtleties are certainly better with newer CD playback equipment and more importantly newer discs, but they absolutely can't compete with analog. I have yet to hear DVD-A in my system, but my SACD player does a fine job competing with analog as long as the disc was well mastered.

Widget

Vinyl vs Digital

Well recorded vinyl does in fact have dynamic jump, three dimensionality, and a naturalness, in spite of the formats numeric inferiority!

16 bit CD recordings have come a long way, in fact, but still no where close to what you can get off of a record!

SACD impresses me, natural, not synthetic sounding, and has dynamic swing!

Achieving the best a well recorded record has to offer is time and money consuming, it requires the right stuff, setup properly, and good synergy between all of your components. Digital was offered to us as plug and play, perfect sound forever! Digital audio has yet to fulfill this original promise!

In my honest opinion, CD, to date, has made it based on convenience, rather than sonic superiority! CD,s are easier to handle, its easier to setup a CD player, than critically setting up a very good turntable/tonearm/cartridge, and for the low fi and mid fi crowd, its much cheaper too!

However, with SACD, the gap is closing! The question for SACD is, will it become industry standard? Which I dont think it will!

CD,s have become a fact of life, so I use them, but I still play records, and always will!
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 09-29-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Regis

Don't forget...

Scott and Mr. Widget,
    You both bring up great points.

In my honest opinion, CD, to date, has made it based on convenience, rather than sonic superiority! CD,s are easier to handle, ...
    Don't forget, you have to de-static the record first (which means shutting off my TT, as the static electricity freaks out the computer and all the lights go haywire) and then you have to clean the sumbitch too! But that's become almost a calming ceremony as I take the moist discwasher brush to the spinning black surface and push the record label round-round...

Re: Don't forget...

Originally posted by Regis
    Scott and Mr. Widget,
    You both bring up great points.

Don't forget, you have to de-static the record first (which means shutting off my TT, as the static electricity freaks out the computer and all the lights go haywire) and then you have to clean the sumbitch too! But that's become almost a calming ceremony as I take the moist discwasher brush to the spinning black surface and push the record label round-round...
    I actually like the preparations it takes to playback vinyl, it is a ritual! And the outcome is usually worthwhile!

My attitude, and yes, I have one, is that getting the best from vinyl is an art/science that some are REALLY good at, and some are not! Kind of like Chefs! Some people have the abilty to get phenomenal results, and somebody else tries to do the same thing, with the same gear, and produces mediocre results! But what the guys, and women ( gotta be politically correct, nah I dont, who am I bullshitting ) out of analog and vinyl records can be INCREDIBLE!

I am cooking up some new stew, too!

Charley Rummel
    Hi, guys:

My experience, or observations, has been that the quality of the mix going into the recorded product seems to be most of the issue. I have a number of recordings in both vinyl and cd; I like Dave Brubeck's 'Take Five' cd over the vinyl, and the same goes for a handful of other recordings in my collection; on the otherhand, my son's Black Sabbath 'Paranoid' cd doesn't come close to my LP of the same in terms of quality and warmth (if one can imagine good ol' Ozzy being a source of quality and warmth! - Ozzy, if you read this, I mean no offense ).

Out of all the bells, whistles, gadgets and gizmos, and out of all the different recordings I have, I think the most amazing recording I have is a reel to reel of Bob Dylan's first greatest hits album. The fidelity and dynamics are incredible!

Anyone else out there have any comments on open reel tapes?

Regards,
    Charley

Originally posted by Charley Rummel

Anyone else out there have any comments on open reel tapes?
    I have one commercially made 7 1/2 ips quarter track tape of the Beatles' Abbey Road album that was given to me in the 70s. While it is free from ticks and pops, it has a very poor S/N ratio and a bit of a rolled off top end. It was a bulk copy made by Capitol Records in 1969 or early 1970.

I have also been lent 15 ips half track first generation dupes that will make you cry!

Widget

tape rules

15ips and 30ips master will blow one away!

15ips tape sounds very dynamic and the bass makes the commercial pressing pale in comparison!

I know I'll never be committed enough to tweak to get the most out of vinyl. I suppose that is one reason I am so enthusiastic about SACD and really, really hope it succeeds.

My standards for hi fi are really rather mid fi:

Can I hear the music? (Answer should be Yes.)

Is it irritating? (Answer should be No).

I play vinyl because I have a bunch of records, and I continue to buy them because using them I can become familiar with the basic repertoire for pennies on the dollar. Some of these recordings I pick up for 50 cents or a dollar are astounding I can tell even on my setup (Thorens 125, Shure tone arm and cartridge). I also have a lot of Coltrane, Davis, Evans, Basie, Monk, Zappa, Beatles, Stones, Mahavishnu, Indian, Qawwali, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Janacek, Ives, Brahms, Vivaldi, Dvorak, Scriabin, Lightnin Hopkins, etc, etc, and international and modern and oddball on vinyl that I will never want to try to replace on digital. So I keep a basic vinyl kit together. But I think I will never pay $90 for a 45 rpm reissue of a classic rock or jazz LP to try and get the max from vinyl.

SACD has so much potential it makes me think about what in my digital system may be the limiting factor. Right now I know it's the fact that my LSR32's need a subwoofer if I want to hear everything that's available on a good digital recording.

David

dancing-dave
    IMHO any really good music is usually on vinyl. On only a few instances will I buy CDs either because the recording spans beyond the length that an LP can hold, it is not available on vinyl, or (very rarely) the CD is better than the vinyl recording (The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium is better on CD than LP, sadly)

Don't think digital is really a permanent copy either. If there was no electricity there would be no CDs. You couldn't extract sound from them without electronics. Now an LP can be played acoustically, so in my eyes it is the true permanent copy since its ability to play isn't dependant on electricity.

Originally posted by dancing-dave
    If there was no electricity there would be no CDs.
    Huh?
    Now that is really off topic!

Originally posted by dancing-dave
    Now an LP can be played acoustically, so in my eyes it is the true permanent copy since its ability to play isn't dependant on electricity.
    How would you handle the RIAA curve?

Widget

dancing-dave
    A very well thought out horn path that would yeild the RIAA correction (anything can be done). Before I die I want to build a 100% mechanical/acoustic turntable/speaker set up that has full stereo sound. You would turn a crank to get the platter to spin and even have a pendulum system to regulate the speed.

Thread Information