Thread: acquired a pair of JBL Olympus with S8R kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

acquired a pair of JBL Olympus with S8R kit

Today I acquired a pair of JBL Olympus with the S8R kit in them. LE15, PR15, 375, 075, LX5, N7000 I believe it is. I was "allowed" to buy them out of an inheritance of a music lover that passed away some years ago.

I know this thread is worthless without pics, but before connecting them, I'd like to know if I should pay special attention to the surrounds of the LE15. They seemed ok when I gave them a quick look (we took the rear of and had a peek inside to verify the presence of all the kit parts), but haven't yet examined them in detail.

The thing is that the cabinets look exactly like factory cabinets, but they have some things that I haven't seen online:
    - drivers mounted from the rear side of the baffle
    - rear of the cabinet comes of
    - the rear is not black, but wood
    - I haven't been able to take of the grilles yet

Ok, there is a lot of info here I just checked out:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...BL-Olympus-S8R

Maybe these cabinets were made by a cabinet maker, based on JBL plans?

I'll post pictures later, but I'd like to hear if I should pay special attention when firing them up.

Ok, I took of the rear and examined all the components. The LE15 feel like they won't move. I have read somewhere that you need to soften the surrounds with oil or something? I won't put a signal on them before they will move...

I have read somewhere that you need to soften the surrounds with oil or something? I won't put a signal on them before they will move...

Treating the surrounds with DOT3 ( Ford type ) Brake Fluid will soften them up and restore the compliance ( ie; temporarily for @ 1 yr ) /// until you get someone to install some new foam surrounds .

Brush the fluid on in a couple of light applications ( with the woofers out of box & facing cone up ).

Use a
    small narrow artists brush and go sparingly with the amount of fluid held in by the brush //// any excess fluid that drips & touches the paper cone will stain & discolor it.

When I used the DOT 3 fluid to soften my LE15As, I applied a very small amount on both the front and back. I measured the Fs and applied it again, and again until I hit the correct measurement.

Congratulations by the way!

Widget

Thanks!

I have had quite some JBL components, but never a complete set like this. The crossovers need some work though, I think the springs on the inputs of the LX5 have gone. I'll probably see if I can give the LE15 surrounds a DOT3 treatment and then see if I can get the speakers to work in my active 3-way setup that normally uses the 2235/2123/2420+2344.

Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
    Thanks!

I have had quite some JBL components, but never a complete set like this. The crossovers need some work though, I think the springs on the inputs of the LX5 have gone. I'll probably see if I can give the LE15 surrounds a DOT3 treatment and then see if I can get the speakers to work in my active 3-way setup that normally uses the 2235/2123/2420+2344.
    The LX5 and N7000 are pretty weak links in that system anyway. I would go active or work up your own networks.

I would also try the cabinets both as is and with custom woofer plugs... ie. I would make some 15" discs with a proper ports in them and install the discs where the passive radiators go. I prefer the ported sound over the passive radiator sound, you may also. The beauty is that it is an entirely reversible experiment and it offers two distinctly different types of bass.

Widget

Thread Information