Thread: PS Audio Power Ports

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PS Audio Power Ports

I have been in the mood to experiment, so one of the things I went and got was 2 PS Audio Power Ports, 20 amp AC receptacles with an isolated ground, custom machined brass contacts, nickel plated and highly polished, with extremely tight contact grip!

Well, they arrived today, and I pulled my rack out to access the more than 20 outlets, and of course first shut down the main breaker to this panel, and proceeded to remove two duplex 20 amp leviton receptacles, and replace them with the PS Audio Power ports.

I, as always, was very skeptical, and figuring I had just thrown away money, turned the power back on. Well, very much to my surprise, they actually make a sonic difference! The music sounds as if I removed a thin layer of grunge, and the notes are more there, for lack of a better word, but, the highs were dramatically cleaner, smoother, and more fine sounding, alot less grit in the top end! Bass stomps too! Seems tighter, with better resolution!

The two PS Audio 20 amp duplex outlets are powering my front end, which is preamp, EQ,s Xovers! So, now that I hear a big difference, I have a question for some of you guys. I am at a loss to explain why this should be, so, is the difference Im hearing due to the custom made contacts PS Audio uses, and Isolated ground? Or am I just hearing the effects of separating ground and neutral on the front end of my system? BTW, I actually have a 3 wire electrical system with a separate dedicated ground for the sound system. But of course, regular receptacles tie ground to neutral! These dont!

Does anyone think I could save a bunch of money and achieve the same thing with regular Hubbell hospital grade, isolated ground outlets?

I must have switched back and forth a dozen times, and there is definitely a difference!

www.psaudio.com
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 09-28-2004 at 10:47 PM.

Thread Information