Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: JBL 2240 vs 2241 vs 2242 vs 2245 (H)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5

    JBL 2240 vs 2241 vs 2242 vs 2245 (H)

    Hello all, i'm here to figure out the differences between these 4 (sub)woofers, and this seemed the best place to ask. What i will be using the driver for is mainly music and they will be crossed over at around 50~60hz, and i wont need extension past 25hz. A few differences i know is the 2245 uses a foam surround which has less excursion, but if someone can help me find the best woofer for my application i would be very happy.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,496
    For home duty and hifi, I definitively recommend the 2245.
    For sound reinforcement, and higher output, then the 2242.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5
    What is the difference between the 2245 and the 2240? I know they use the same frame.

  4. #4
    Guest
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Krycek View Post
    What is the difference between the 2245 and the 2240? I know they use the same frame.
    I think at 2245 have more output than 2240 under 40Hz
    but have you think about to use 2269

    There will be interested to see how the 2269 will work in 4645C enclosure
    the 2269 have more output than 2242 in the lowest frequency

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    I think at 2245 have more output than 2240 under 40Hz
    but have you think about to use 2269

    There will be interested to see how the 2269 will work in 4645C enclosure
    the 2269 have more output than 2242 in the lowest frequency
    2269's are a little out of my budget but they do seem ideal.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5
    There is a 2245h frame in my area for 90, but it needs to be reconed, what are the best recone kits?

  7. #7
    Guest
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Krycek View Post
    2269's are a little out of my budget but they do seem ideal.
    If you are interested I have four new 2258hpl for sale they are similar like 2242h but with neo magnet

    I want $1000 for all four

  8. #8
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Krycek View Post
    There is a 2245h frame in my area for 90, but it needs to be reconed, what are the best recone kits?
    The JBL C8R2245H. I believe the current price is $275 ea. You'll need to find an authorized service center to have one put in properly and to get the JBL warranty.

    There are low cost alternatives... at that point, just buy something on eBay. If you want JBL performance be prepared to pay for it.


    Widget

  9. #9
    RE: Member when? subwoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    fingerlakes region, NY
    Posts
    1,898

    framed

    Before you start buying and dealing with recones, note that the 2240/2245 frames are the same but are NOT interchangeable with the 2241 OR the 2242...all are unique..!

    where is tejas anyways??

    I have pairs of:

    2240H
    2240G
    2245H
    GTI1800
    K151

    In the storage room at present.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5
    What about the 80$ 2245 recone from mackenzie? anyone have experience with it? and is 90 a good deal for a 2240/45 frame?

    also, tejas = texas in spanish

  11. #11
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Krycek View Post
    What about the 80$ 2245 recone from mackenzie? anyone have experience with it? and is 90 a good deal for a 2240/45 frame?

    also, tejas = texas in spanish
    Its not a JBL cone, who knows WHAT its going to sound like - certainly not to original specs.
    Why would you do that, get a good speaker frame and put some cheap-ass parts on it?

    Why not just put a nice Radio Shak woofer in the box -
    its certainly not JBL spec with a backdoor cone kit.
    2ch: RPi-4, Oppo, Acurus RL-11, TFM-25, 2pr JBL L212, Heath Valencias,Von Schw VR4
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460,

  12. #12
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Its not a JBL cone, who knows WHAT its going to sound like - certainly not to original specs.
    Why would you do that, get a good speaker frame and put some cheap-ass parts on it?

    Why not just put a nice Radio Shak woofer in the box -
    its certainly not JBL spec with a backdoor cone kit.
    I asked the same question about McKenzie a year ago. All that came out was that because it is not a JBL cone, then it MUST not sound the same. Nonetheless, so far, nobody came up with comparative measurements.

    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ight=mackenzie

    Lee

  13. #13
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Krycek View Post
    What about the 80$ 2245 recone from mackenzie? anyone have experience with it?
    You asked for "Best"... not, "Will it work?"

    My guess is that it will work though it will not sound as good much less measure the same. There are plenty of perfectly good inexpensive subs out there. If the goal is lot's o bass for the buck, JBL isn't your best bet. If you want JBL bass, then you need to use JBL parts, tuning, etc.

    I haven't been in the used market for quite a while... can't help with current pricing info. I will say that used prices vary widely as does the quality. There is also the issue with shipping these big woofers. A lot of sellers haven't got a clue how to pack them.


    Widget

  14. #14
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,496
    I can't wait for somebody to take measurements and compare an original 2245 cone kit with a quality aftermarket kit. Perhats they will sound and measure the same. Perhaps not. Until measurements are taken, we can't say that JBL will be better than that specific aftermarket product. Let's remember that there are shitty and quality replacement diaphragms for 244X drivers out there. They don't sound the same as a JBL but the quality units sound different and some say, better. Radian? Truextent? Maybe Mackenzie is the next Radian... Just sayin'

  15. #15
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I can't wait for somebody to take measurements and compare an original 2245 cone kit with a quality aftermarket kit. Perhats they will sound and measure the same. Perhaps not. Until measurements are taken, we can't say that JBL will be better than that specific aftermarket product. Let's remember that there are shitty and quality replacement diaphragms for 244X drivers out there. They don't sound the same as a JBL but the quality units sound different and some say, better. Radian? Truextent? Maybe Mackenzie is the next Radian... Just sayin'
    I am not saying that an aftermarket part can't be as good as the original, but the high quality aftermarket parts tend to be as costly or even more than the JBL parts. Quality costs.

    Radian parts are of a different design than JBL and they do not measure the same as JBLs. Beyond that I don't think Radian is as good as JBL as their parts are inconsistent. Even JBL has QC issues, this is another reason to have an authorized repair facility do the work, if the parts are not correct, they will send them back and get good ones.


    Widget

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2241 vs 2242
    By louped garouv in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 01:01 PM
  2. Differences between the 2240 and 2242
    By Midnight in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 11:58 AM
  3. Replace 2241 with 2242 or 2268 -- Can I ???
    By though in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
  4. 2240 + 2241
    By imtkjlu in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 03:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •