Thread: Any one know about the Tar filled multi cell horns 1505's

JBLGUY

Any one know about the Tar filled multi cell horns 1505's

Just got a set of tar filled 1505 Altec horns. But can't seem to find any info on the tar filled units. Such as model numbers or when they were made from /to.
    Anybody know of these units or know a link to info.
    I'm not sure why they made them tar filled and some not?
    I do know they are dead like concrete to knock on them.
    Thanks anyone who may have info in advance

JBLGUY, the tar filled horns were made when quality counted more than price. Lansing Manufacturing Company made only tar filled multicellular horns from 1935 to 1941, then the successor company Altec Lansing continued the tradition until they moved to Anaheim in 1958. The early Lansing and Altec Lansing units featured tar filled structures and brass throat hardware, though the later Anaheim-era equipment was cheapened with open cell construction and aluminum throats. An original set of Altec Lansing H-1505 tar filled horns would have been built between approximately 1945 and 1957, and the world will not see their kind again.

JBLGUY
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    JBLGUY, the tar filled horns were made when quality counted more than price. Lansing Manufacturing Company made only tar filled multicellular horns from 1935 to 1941, then the successor company Altec Lansing continued the tradition until they moved to Anaheim in 1958. The early Lansing and Altec Lansing units featured tar filled structures and brass throat hardware, though the later Anaheim-era equipment was cheapened with open cell construction and aluminum throats. An original set of Altec Lansing H-1505 tar filled horns would have been built between approximately 1945 and 1957, and the world will not see their kind again.
    Thank you very much Steve. I really appreciate your knowledge and you sharing that. It has been very hard to find out anything on why these were tar filled in the first place. I assume it was because it made them so very dead.
    The ones I have are so solid it's like knocking on cement when you tap them with a knuckle.
    Anyone else know any tidbits on these rare units

You've got it right, JBLGUY. Ideally the walls of a horn are simply an inert container for the air column, and should not add or subtract anything. A tar filled sheet metal horn is nearly perfect in this regard, though it is difficult and expensive to build, ship and install.

JBLGUY
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    You've got it right, JBLGUY. Ideally the walls of a horn are simply an inert container for the air column, and should not add or subtract anything. A tar filled sheet metal horn is nearly perfect in this regard, though it is difficult and expensive to build, ship and install.

Hi Steve
    Do you know if they had a special model number. Or were they simply 1505's.
    Some units I've seen on Ebay seemed to have the letter B behind it AKA 1505B.
    They were not necessarily the tar filled ones, but not sure on that either. Do you know what those letters stood for at all. Did the tar ones get sold along side the other not tar ones? Or as you said, were they all tar until they moved the factory?
    Yes they must have been a pain to ship and install as they weight a ton. I do know the ones I got came from a old theatre in Seattle called the " Fifth Avenue ".
    I was told they were installed there in the early fifties.
    Mine have the dual brass throats.

Anybody have an idea of value of these 1505's. Tar filled units.At 95lb's they are heard to sell. You just never see these so I've never been able to value them. I still love em ....lol

43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

..Multicellular horns look silly to me. Not trying to poop on 'em, just saying that kid Derek would've put all his Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars in 'em if they were in reach.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I'll grab some pics in the next day or 2. Just got released from hospital.I think they look cool. I've always liked the shape of horns and the way they look.

Thread Information