Thread: JBL 4623 photo's needed

JBL 4623 photo's needed

Hello guys! I have an opportunity to buy a pair of JBL 4623 speakers from the Cabaret series but the cabs look pretty beaten up and there have been some modifications done do them
    I searched for photo's of the 4623 (Mark I, with adjustment for the tweeters) but couldn't find anything useful! (Are the 4623's so rare? )
    I would be very happy if someone could provide me a few good photos of the front and the back side of the 4623's, also a pic of the internal crossover/wiring would be appreciated!

p.s
    Is there any chance for the 2402 to be the Alnico version, or were all 4623's loaded with the "H" ferrite version?

Thanks in advance!

Lucky guy you're while two 4623 pairs just got home in july and before removing all drivers i caught some pictures...

The E130 sounds in "wide open" mode and the 2402 is high passed from 3000Hz. So directivity of the 4623 is rather high (the directivity of the 2402 in conjunction with the high X over 3104 cutoff frequency...)

From my knowledge, 4623 is based on ferrite driver design (80's era).

4623 is a very efficient enclosure (105dBSPL)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

cont'd ...

cont'd...

and all the stuff i got that day of july

You Sir, just made my day!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!

By the way, I will try to make these 4623 suitable for home use so I will most probably change the internal cabling to something like 2.5mm2-3mm2 OFC copper for the E130 and 1.5mm2 copper(maybe silver plated) for the 2402H. The crossover will also get new components or it will be changed to other JBL type (finding good vintage JBL stuff in the netherlands is almost impossible and if you even find something, it is a few times more expensive than in the USA).

Especially the pics of the part which on the 2402 is mounted are helpful, just look how mine look like
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1138664...eat=directlink
    The units will be thoroughly cleaned and if I can't remove these spots from the E130, I will try to paint the cone very carefully with black ink with some water using a soft paintbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    You Sir, just made my day!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!

By the way, I will try to make these 4623 suitable for home use so I will most probably change the internal cabling to something like 2.5mm2-3mm2 OFC copper for the E130 and 1.5mm2 copper(maybe silver plated) for the 2402H. The crossover will also get new components or it will be changed to other JBL type (finding good vintage JBL stuff in the netherlands is almost impossible and if you even find something, it is a few times more expensive than in the USA).

Especially the pics of the part which on the 2402 is mounted are helpful, just look how mine look like
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1138664...eat=directlink
    The units will be thoroughly cleaned and if I can't remove these spots from the E130, I will try to paint the cone very carefully with black ink with some water using a soft paintbrush.
    Great!both Martin like 46.
    46 lover

I haven't heard mine yet
    I hope they won't sound so bad...

And I was lucky, the tweeters turned out to be the Alnico 2402, not the 2402H
    They sounded pretty good on my Urei 6260 amp and Sony 228ESD CD player but the crossover needs modifications, the E130 doesn't sound so good full range.

Most probably I will paint the cabs semi-gloss white with black accents

Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    From my knowledge, 4623 is based on ferrite driver design (80's era)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...reply&p=336969

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    And I was lucky, the tweeters turned out to be the Alnico 2402, not the 2402H
    you're right, when launched the Cabaret series was designed with the K series and alnico magnet. Actually you have got the earlier version

From JBL doc a pair of 4623 is a good choice for sound reinforcement system (string instruments) in a room with an auditory from 150 to 250 people ...

For home use i'll prefer listening the 4628 with the medium added ...

Others pics i have forgotten about crossover plus drivers wiring color conventions (according to pdf JBL tech doc)

you're right, when launched the Cabaret series was designed with the K series and alnico magnet. Actually you have got the earlier version

From JBL doc a pair of 4623 is a good choice for sound reinforcement system (string instruments) in a room with an auditory from 150 to 250 people ...

Others pics i have forgotten about crossover plus drivers wiring color conventions (according to pdf JBL tech doc)
    Why so many people like JBL Alnico drivers?
    Do they sound better?
    46 lover

4627 is also a treasure,with middle 2118 added,it sounds warm and soft.
    46 lover

Well, it looks like I have the very first Cabaret 4623, the high frequency pots also look different on mine as their back is not metal but ceramic and the potentiometer has "Noble" written on it.

Sadly, not much choice here in vintage JBL's. You just have to grab what is currently being listed, and you can can actually forget about finding a bigger JBL cab like he 4627, even in bad shape.
    Right now there is a pair of 4315 being listed for €825 not so far away but the pics are bad and the 2203 woofers are changed to crappy Visatons. At first I wanted to buy them and look for original woofers but after a quick search the 2203 woofers turned out to be almost "unobtainium" so I passed on 'em...

I'm still looking for some parts for my Cabarets:

-8 protective skids (someone changed these to shitty plastic Monacors so I just threw them away )
    -1 white seal/O-ring for the tweeter (does anyone know how it's called properly?)

Thread Information