Thread: Repair JBL 2226H

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Repair JBL 2226H

Hi all. I just got some 2226H's in the mail and it appears one of them got damaged during shipping. Is there any way to repair this without buying a recone kit ($70-$100)? I'm not worried so much about the crack since I can fix that with some watered down glue, but I am worried about the chafing on the cone itself. The cone also sits a fair amount below neutral in its range, which worries me as well.
    Name:  WP_000477.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  91.1 KB
    Name:  WP_000480.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  64.4 KB

Looks trashed to me and since when are JBL cones brown like that. Especially the back side???

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Looks trashed to me and since when are JBL cones brown like that. Especially the back side???
    I wouldn't judge the color. My phone camera isn't the greatest at getting the white balance correct. Also, don't most/all large JBL cones have a brown stripe going around where the cone meets the surround?

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    I wouldn't judge the color. My phone camera isn't the greatest at getting the white balance correct. Also, don't most/all large JBL cones have a brown stripe going around where the cone meets the surround?
    You should see the ribs in the back of the cone and the whole cone isn't brown like yours, only near the surround. Maybe put up a better pic, it looks suspect as is.
    Look at these:
    http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buys...num=1237101066

I don't know what can be done about the chaffing but the crack will need to reinforce with something and not just glued, IMO.
    And the sunken cone is cause by being stored face up too long, from what I hear anyway, and you can try to use a hair dryer on the spider to try and get it to go back to normal. I'd try heating it up face down.

< $200 (factory re-cone), you get a warranty and essentially a new driver that sells for around $500 new.

I don't understand buying/using a pro/high-end driver then duct-tape/chicken-wiring it back to "life"...
    It's very unlikely to perform as intended. I understand that it may no longer the be the deal it once was,
    but everyone should understand that buying used PA drivers (especially online) is a crapshoot at best.
    Maybe sell this one as a frame and put it toward another used, but better condition, driver replacement
    if cost is the major motivator (over a warranty and reliability) and the application actually warrants such
    a driver.

Thread Information