Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: D2430K compression driver information?

So has ANYONE found a difference between the VTX version of the D2 (product number D2430K) with a part number 446213-001X and the M2 version of the D2 (also product number D2430K) with a part number 5032754X?

I'm a cinema guy so my experience with the D2 is zero though at a friend's recommendation, I've begun a DYI M2 project (with matching SUB 18ish subs). I am a JBL certified reconer so I have access to parts and I can tell you that the 446213-001X is MUCH easier to lay one's hands on than the 5032754X. But the price is also MUCH higher.

The diaphragm kit, D32D2430K is very much available (in-stock in the USA, as of this writing) and reasonably priced, for what it/they is/are. I haven't changed one so don't ask what is involved (I've yet to have the driver in my hand).

Has anyone measured or worked with both? Are they just two different part numbers for the same piece? Is the M2 version somehow different?

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sguttag View Post
    ...Has anyone measured or worked with both? Are they just two different part numbers for the same piece? Is the M2 version somehow different?
    Hi Steve

The difference in the M2 version appears to be that it is measured and selected from the D2430K run.
    So it meets closer tolerances, proven to be within specification.
    I suspect the odd price structure is because there is no specified replacement dia. kit for the M2 version.
    Theoretically you replace the whole unit to maintain performance, because a field repaired unit would not be provably within spec.
    So JBL seem to have reduced the mark-up on the M2 version to keep repair costs reasonable.
    That makes the M2 version a nice deal if you can find them but the VTX unit should be fine, especially if you can test it yourself.

Best wishes
    David

So has ANYONE found a difference between the VTX version of the D2 (product number D2430K) with a part number 446213-001X and the M2 version of the D2 (also product number D2430K) with a part number 5032754X?

I'm a cinema guy so my experience with the D2 is zero though at a friend's recommendation, I've begun a DYI M2 project (with matching SUB 18ish subs). I am a JBL certified reconer so I have access to parts and I can tell you that the 446213-001X is MUCH easier to lay one's hands on than the 5032754X. But the price is also MUCH higher.

The diaphragm kit, D32D2430K is very much available (in-stock in the USA, as of this writing) and reasonably priced, for what it/they is/are. I haven't changed one so don't ask what is involved (I've yet to have the driver in my hand).

Has anyone measured or worked with both? Are they just two different part numbers for the same piece? Is the M2 version somehow different?

-Steve
    Hi Steve,

As You have said, You can compare the diaphragm prices for M2 and STX drivers, as I can imagine only the differences would be in the diaphragms.

regards
    ivica

I suppose this could be a reason for the long-lead times on the M2 version. If say only 1 out of 100 or even 1 out of 10 D2s meet the M2 tolerence, it would significantly lower the yield. If it doesn't measure within the M2 needs, slap a silver sticker on it and off to the general uses it goes. If it measures within M2 needs, gold sticker and goes to the smaller pile.

...If say only 1 out of 100 or even 1 out of 10 D2s meet the M2 tolerence...
    Or it could be that most of the production run meet M2 tolerances, JBL just need to be sure that a "reference" speaker meets its specifications.
    Whereas small variations in an occasional driver would hardly make a difference in a line array with many drivers.
    So it's a bit conjectural, no one has had the money to buy a batch of each and do a statistical analysis.

Best wishes
    David

Okay...my next question...

Has anyone determined the D2's sensitivity (on the M2 wave guide)? Preferably 1W/1m. And if so, what was the bandwidth measured? While I had my rig set up to measure the sensitivity of the LF section of the M2 (I came to about 93dB at 1W/1m, which is close to JBL's 92dB and since I'm not in an anechoic chamber, I'm probably going to be a little high due to room gain since my response was not flat when I pulled the mic back 1m (it was pretty flat close-miced). I'm coming up with about 101dB 1W/1m for the D2 on the M2 waveguide. Of course, with a 32-Ohm driver, it takes a bit more voltage to get to 1W than the average driver. Then again, with that 11-Ohm resistor across the driver, you are sort of capped at just shy of 3.5W to the driver.

I'm wondering if the 101dB 1W/1m estimate is good. I see on the VTX-V25, using an entirely different horn/waveguide, JBL lists it as 116dB 1W/1m but with three drivers playing...that implies that each driver is contributing just over 111dB to the SPL and that each driver is rated for 200-Watts. On the VTX-F12, we have a single D2430K, still a 200W power rating but JBL muddies the waters by claiming a 108dB 1W/1m but qualifies it as 2.83V at 3.3-feet. 2.83V into a 32-Ohm driver is 1/4-watt. My personal measurements of the D2430K is that it is indeed 32-Ohms. On the VTX-F12 Tech sheet, they are claiming 20-Ohms, which I think is as much a misprint as the 20-Ohm figure as well as the 2.83V figure because even in 20-Ohms is still only 0.4-watts.

So I'm still coming up with about a 7dB spread between the M2 waveguide with the passive network versus a seemingly straight up D2 with a 90x50 waveguide. I can believe that given that much of the power going to the driver in the M2 is going into a resistor.

Anyone take any more definitive measurements of it?

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi more10,

as I have remembered D2430K has 3.5-inch annular ring dual membrane,
    and mentioned BMS 4599 has 3.5-inch annular ring dual membrane,
    so just from that point of view they are very similar,
    but the rest ( phase plug-s, VC coil weight , etc...) thing are not know (to me).

reagrds
    ivica
    are you sure about that?
    I thought they were with dual 3" membrane

https://www.huss-licht-ton.de/images...et_14032_2.pdf
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/VTX...es/VTX-V25.pdf

Ari

Post 2430K and 2430H are exactly the same driver, see my measureing:

The impedance and SPL are exactly the same
    Attached Images Attached Images    

It depends on either a series or parallel connection of the D2 voice coils.

I extrapolated the following ref 2.83 volts

Series VC 104 db on the M2 horn
    Parallel VC 110 db on M2 horn

Thread Information