Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D2430K compression driver information?

D2430K compression driver information?

The new D2430K looks impressive but there is no real information on the JBL website or in earlier threads here.
    Has anyone here seen the AES preprint number 8502 by Alex Voishvillo or tested this driver?
    A response curve would be nice if the paper is not available.
    Does anyone know the price in the USA?

Dave Zan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    The new D2430K looks impressive but there is no real information on the JBL website or in earlier threads here.
    Has anyone here seen the AES preprint number 8502 by Alex Voishvillo or tested this driver?
    A response curve would be nice if the paper is not available.
    Does anyone know the price in the USA?

Dave Zan
    May be interesting reading:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20110085692

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/p...ies_line_array

Regards
    Ivica

Thank you for the reply.
    I had read the patent but there is no real data - I want a response curve!
    I hoped that some of the keen measurement experts would have compared it other JBL drivers.
    Since I am not a member of the AES the $20 for one paper seems a bit expensive.
    No members here who want to read about JBL's latest hot invention?

Best wishes
    David

I think there was some borrowing or sharing of design on the driver from the BMS coaxial drivers. The exploded views look very similar. In the past I think there has been a JBL BMS collaboration on some of the cone compression drivers used in the JBL AE series boxes.
    http://bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=693

Yes it looks similar to the BMS idea, but the new patent application is by Harman and their employee Alex Voishvillo and the driver is Mexican built so it looks like they don't want to collaborate any more
    But what does it cost and what's the response like?
    If any AES member wants to read the paper and send me a copy then I will be happy to pay for it.

Best wishes
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Yes it looks similar to the BMS idea, but the new patent application is by Harman and their employee Alex Voishvillo and the driver is Mexican built so it looks like they don't want to collaborate any more
    But what does it cost and what's the response like?
    If any AES member wants to read the paper and send me a copy then I will be happy to pay for it.

Best wishes
    David
    It seems to me that on D2430 two diaphragms per driver (totally 4 ) are applied in some kind of 'push-pull' or compound construction while on BMS there are 'single' diaphragm per driver (totally 2)

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    It seems to me that on D2430 two diaphragms per driver (totally 4 ) are applied in some kind of 'push-pull' or compound construction while on BMS there are 'single' diaphragm per driver (totally 2)

Regards
    Ivica
    The JBL driver is actually very similar to some parts of the BMS patent - 2 voice coils per D2430K. They have separate connections but there are not 2 separate drivers each with 2 voice coils. I notice that JBL does not have a patent yet, just an application. I wonder if it will be successful.
    What is unusual is that the cross-section of a BMS co-axial driver does not look like the BMS patent. Or not the cross-section I checked at least.
    I don't know the explanation for this difference.
    This explains why some people say the JBL is quite different from the BMS. They must have compared a BMS driver and not the BMS patent.

Now would someone in the USA please tell me the local cost?
    They won't talk to "for'ners"

Best wishes
    David

I'm going to guess that it will never be offered as an off the shelf component part , none of the JBL dual coil differential drive cone speakers are. Through a JBL service center maybe, at what cost I could only imagine!

I talked to the Swedish BMS representative today. JBL has "refined" an old BMS patent.

Obsolete
    It was suggested that this transducer really isn't for hi-fi use although it does have some interesting qualities. I was all set to order a pair just for fun and was talked out of it. Definitely an upgrade from a 2431 but probably hard pressed to beat a 2435 (for home hi-fi use).

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It was suggested that this transducer really isn't for hi-fi use although it does have some interesting qualities. I was all set to order a pair just for fun and was talked out of it. Definitely an upgrade from a 2431 but probably hard pressed to beat a 2435 (for home hi-fi use).
    I wonder why low distortion, flat frequency response, high efficiency ,...etc, would not be applicable for "hi-fi". Owing to the published data and applied patents, especially complicated and 'usually shape' phase plugs, I believe that such driver would become very high quality sound 'transducer'. I only wonder what kind of horn would be applicable to such kind of (expecting) ultra wide frequency driver, especially be aware of the BMS4590/4592 horn application problems.

Regards
    ivica

Obsolete
    They are sound reinforcement ring radiators designed for maximum output with very low distortion.

I have no doubt whatsoever that they would do just fine for those who like such things.

They are quite expensive, a third more than anything else JBL Pro makes. That said, they are nowhere near as expensive as a 476Be.

There was a thread running here that was blocked for no given reason. I guess that the collective enquiring mind was probing a little too deeply in the midst of a patent app.
    So most of what you need to know as to how it works is on this page.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/d...line_array/P2/

Bump up the images and you will see what is going on.

Very clever left field engineering going on here IMO , it has taken a completely different slant on how to achieve the workings of a comp driver and apparently with some success.
    It runs out to 30 K ish without compensation , minimal power compression , high spl / powerhandling .
    Great work whoever did it congrats.

The BMS does not work the same way at all. The dias in the JBL work like a bellows , both pushing / pulling at the same time. The BMS is a 2 way coax with a X/O requirement.

I fully expect to see this technology trickle down.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Thgere was a thread running here that was blocked for no given reason.
    If you are talking about the new studio monitor thread, it was removed at the request of JBL Pro. Once the scheduled release date has passed there should be no problem.

We've gone through this several times with Harman Japan too. They announce something before Northridge announces it and all hell breaks loose at Northridge.

I get that in spades. One point as ever WRT Harman marketing , as an international, sorry, worldwide presence in Pro Audio you would think that they could perhaps get their timing organised. There are a lot of people within that organisation getting paid a lot of dosh to get things right.
    Seems that they collectively couldn't run a bath.

My comments come from having dealt with Harman professionally way back when , it was the same then.

Absolutely no reflection on the clearly ground breaking work that comes from the engineering side.

Thread Information