Thread: Re-edging 1500Al-1?

Re-edging 1500Al-1?

Fellow JBL enthusiasts,I have a pair of K2 S9900, I believe they are from 2011. My question is on the rubber edges of the woofer 1500Al-1, they are no longer completely black, but rather dark greyish. I uploaded a couple pictures. Anyway, is this to be expected? They feel fine, neither stiff nor sticky. Should I just go ahead and don't think of this, or should/can they be replaced (re-edged)? Thanks and best wishes,Sigurd Stefansson
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Sigurd O. Stefansson,
    Bergen, Norway

I would certainly put re-edging out of your mind for the time being.
    - As far as I'm concerned, the color change is normal for aging rubber compounds.

You might want to research if there are any "rubber rejuvenation" compounds ( from th car industry as example ) that can bring back the original black color with out "attacking: the rubber.

1audiohack ( LHF member ) bought Butyl Rubber Surrounds from Japan some years back.
    - I believe he used them to Re-edge some 2234h woofers ( I also believe that the measured Fs was just like the Foam originally used ).

1audiohack's Thread

Thank you for the link, Earl!

Great read, I hadn't seen it before. Makes me regret the foams I just put on my 2215's.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    I would certainly put re-edging out of your mind for the time being.
    - As far as I'm concerned, the color change is normal for aging rubber compounds.
    +1

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX THESE WOOFERS!!! They are essentially unobtainium and if you do any work on them, the likelihood of a positive outcome is low.

I'm pretty sure this is purely a cosmetic issue. JBL used a foamed rubber that is called EPDM. You should find out if there are cleaners for this exact type of rubber that will not damage the rubber or shorten its life.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    +1 DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX THESE WOOFERS!!! They are essentially unobtainium and if you do any work on them, the likelihood of a positive outcome is low. I'm pretty sure this is purely a cosmetic issue. JBL used a foamed rubber that is called EPDM. You should find out if there are cleaners for this exact type of rubber that will not damage the rubber or shorten its life. Widget
    Mine looked like that a few years ago I just use a damp terry cloth rag and very carefully wipe the rubber. They look like this now. I did Google EPDM Cleaner and found the following - My advice is only use a damp cloth with water don't bother with any cleaner - as if there are issues there is no way back!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Good feedback!

Widget

Continuing with the automotive product line of thinking...there is Back to Black made by McGuires that will dress the rubber without further oxidation. I'ts cosmetic only...OR, put the grills back on and fugettaboutit. It's just surface oxidation.

RE Mine looked like that a few years ago I just use a damp terry cloth rag and very carefully wipe the rubber. They look like this now. I did Google EPDM Cleaner and found the following - My advice is only use a damp cloth with water don't bother with any cleaner - as if there are issues there is no way back!

+1, same as christo

Did the same thing, couple of years back, on my 1977 Polk Audio Monitor 5 rubber surrounds and they came back pretty good. These are also essentially unobtainable. The before and after cleaning pics were posted in my BGW Amp thread. I still own and use them (about 47 years now) and i'd do it again if i have to. Can't kiss them goodbye...

Richard