Thread: 4350 with 4001?

4350 with 4001?

I'm quite curious as to what would happen if one would 1:1 swap the 2440 in the 4350 with a TAD4001?
    I'm guessing the 3107 would boost the TAD even further giving a quite 'crystal clear' sounding speaker?

It depends on how the 4001 behaves on the 2311 + 2308 assembly.

My suggestion is try it and then try the equivalent 3155 network.

Will do some day, but considering the current exorbitant 4001 prices, I'm hunting for a bargain to pull them from a pair of PA cabs (some companies in Europe had 4001 and 4002 loaded cabs years ago).
    I'm wondering if someone has already tried it, could be interesting without the slant plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    It depends on how the 4001 behaves on the 2311 + 2308 assembly.

My suggestion is try it and then try the equivalent 3155 network.
    The 4001 has the same geometry as the 375 and 2441 drivers so it should do just as well on the 2311/2308.
    I second the motion on the 3155 network since the 3107 would allow the slot and the mid drivers to over lap up to 14KHz or so.

Many many years ago I had what were essentially NOS 2441s and 4001s and compared them on the 2397 horns. The 4001s were a bit better in every respect.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Will do some day, but considering the current exorbitant 4001 prices, I'm hunting for a bargain to pull them from a pair of PA cabs (some companies in Europe had 4001 and 4002 loaded cabs years ago).
    I'm wondering if someone has already tried it, could be interesting without the slant plates.
    Hi Martin,

I see you have been delving into this recently here and elsewhere. The 4350 is a great system to tweak and experiment with.

I am sure your having fun.

Yes the 4001 are expensive. Time has marched on and modern FEA analysis has refined compression drivers, diaphragms and horns to the next level.

If you’re interested I am doing some work behind the scenes with B & C + 18Sound on the best in class compression drivers for these applications and new wave guide. Also a hi end analogue active crossover to put the soul back into the JBL sound.

There is a walk through of their drivers below They are a lot more transparent on the ins and out of compression drivers than JBL who have never openly discussed their compression drivers publicly. The demise of JBL replacement drivers and diaphragms means it’s time to start looking over the fence.

https://www.youtube.com/live/x9NAVlw...-bNIXI4PFYTTij

These drivers are obviously not JBL but there is a much greater variety of diaphragms, diaphragm surrounds, diaphragm sizes and throat sizes to choose from.

JBL also use OEM manufacturers for their high frequency drivers.

Given you are looking at Tad you might just find what you need with these European manufacturers. A Tad 4001 is a lot of money on a pair of old school drivers. 18Sound do beryllium if you feel it’s justified.

I have tried the 4001 and l didn’t like it.

I should add that the 1.5 inch throat JBL drivers with aquaplas diaphragms are also well regarded. The effect is a bit like smoothing a frequency response graph. All the tiny imperfections is not what you need to be listening to.

Pm me if this interests you.

Ian

Hi Ian,
    The 4001 seemed as the go-to choice due to both being of roughly the same vintage as the 4350, just to retain the old 'soul'.
    I doubt it's viable but of I was to replace the woofers in the 4350's, I'd go with TAD as well due to their looks and age

Try it and see if it works for you.

I think there is a wide latitude of personal preference when it comes to HF drivers. Some people say they like beryllium but which driver, horn and which system are they listening too? It’s very circumstantial.

Thread Information