Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL 12" - Best Woofer

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    How hard is it to get a pair of these drivers?
    1. JBL rarely has any in stock.
    2. If you happen to catch them on a day that they do have a PAIR you then have to contend with:
    A. UPS losing them in transit.
    B. Ryder not packaging them right and they end up busted in half on delivery.

It appears that more and more people at JBL are becoming familiar with the never ending nightmare of customers not being able to get replacement drivers. The story I heard last week is that Mexico refuses to build "extras" for replacement purposes, quite simply, they just don't fucking get it. They refuse to answer emails FROM HARMAN, they refuse to answer phone calls FROM HARMAN. Basically the place needs to be shut down.

Perhaps we'll be seeing more and more vendors in China stepping up to the plate. Hopefully they'll put Mexico out of business and the sooner the better. I asked for a pair of 476BE's a couple months ago and I was told "we're actively searching for a new vendor". That doesn't seem to bode well for Harman Audio de Mexico.

I still agree with the assessment that the jackass who moved production out of Northridge should have died in a fire the day he made the announcement. Seriously, we just flat out don't need fucking losers like that in our country. If someone mentions moving manufacturing overseas just drag them out into the street by their hair, tar and feather them and run them out of town tied assbackwards on a mule. They serve no purpose.

Thanks for the info - I was kind of afraid of that. That said ... what do you know about the 12 inch drivers used in the Synthesis 3 systems
    such as the JBL NS3SL- aka -(SYN3 12IN SUBWOOFER) ... they are Passive subs in corner boxes ...

They are doing a blowout on the "Left" and "Right" version of these -
    and I could imagine doing worse with a pair of these fed by that HK Citation 22 I've held onto all these years
    That said - I cannot imagine factories that don't do what company management tell them do do!
    Shut those dummies down and move production stateside again - say, to Texas or Arkansas or Ohio
    where folks can follow directions and would LOVE to have good factory jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    1. JBL rarely has any in stock.
    2. If you happen to catch them on a day that they do have a PAIR you then have to contend with:
    A. UPS losing them in transit.
    B. Ryder not packaging them right and they end up busted in half on delivery.

It appears that more and more people at JBL are becoming familiar with the never ending nightmare of customers not being able to get replacement drivers. The story I heard last week is that Mexico refuses to build "extras" for replacement purposes, quite simply, they just don't fucking get it. They refuse to answer emails FROM HARMAN, they refuse to answer phone calls FROM HARMAN. Basically the place needs to be shut down.

Perhaps we'll be seeing more and more vendors in China stepping up to the plate. Hopefully they'll put Mexico out of business and the sooner the better. I asked for a pair of 476BE's a couple months ago and I was told "we're actively searching for a new vendor". That doesn't seem to bode well for Harman Audio de Mexico.

I still agree with the assessment that the jackass who moved production out of Northridge should have died in a fire the day he made the announcement. Seriously, we just flat out don't need fucking losers like that in our country. If someone mentions moving manufacturing overseas just drag them out into the street by their hair, tar and feather them and run them out of town tied assbackwards on a mule. They serve no purpose.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Ask Thiele!

According to JBL the relevant TS parameters of the D123 are:

fs = 45 Hz ; Qts = 0.45 ; Vas = 135,9 liter ; Qm = 4.5 ; Qe = 0.5 ; Re = 6.0

In Thiele's table alignment # 7 comes close (it is a C4 alignment):

f3/fs = 0.729 ; f3 / fb = 0.879 ; Vas / Vab = 0.729 ; Qt = 0.466

This leads to:

f3 = 32.8 Hz (HEY!!!) ; fb = 37.3 Hz ; Vab = 186.4 liter

You can achive the proper Qt = 0.466 by selecting the proper R for Your xover series coil:

1 / Qt = 1 / Qa + (1 / Qe) [Re / (Rg + Re)]

Re is the speaker's DC resistance, and Rg is the generator impedance, which is the sum of Your amplifier's output impedance and all losses in cables and xover coils.

Perhaps somebody can feed a simulation program with the data from above and can optimize the box (make it smaller).

Ruediger
    Last edited by Ruediger; 08-23-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added Vab

Obsolete
    Thanks for the info - I was kind of afraid of that. That said ... what do you know about the 12 inch drivers used in the Synthesis 3 systems
    such as the JBL NS3SL- aka -(SYN3 12IN SUBWOOFER) ... they are Passive subs in corner boxes ...

They are doing a blowout on the "Left" and "Right" version of these -
    and I could imagine doing worse with a pair of these fed by that HK Citation 22 I've held onto all these years
    The driver is the LE120H-1 as mentioned earlier in this thread. They are blowing those subs out basically for the price of the driver. They are fairly decent subwoofers. I thought of picking up a couple myself to go with some Tannoys but, quite frankly, the 2266H in a smaller box kicks the hell out of it (plus, no foam surround and the fifteen-inch Neo driver is actually lighter than the LE120H-1). You might be able to pick up a 2266H for the price of a pair of those twelves and a box is a box, worst case buy one of those PE 3 cubic footers and then actually brace it.

. . . . That said - I cannot imagine factories that don't do what company management tell them do do! . . . .
    Some countries have rules about local ownership, so technically they become a contractor; therein lies the rub.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

In Chinese,there is no the best,only the better
    Personally, i will recommend 252
    46 lover

Thank you very much for the information. The models cited are very difficult to find.

Has anyone tried the JBL E120 model? If so, what do you think of it?

Victório Benatti
    4 x D123 + 2 x 2420/811B + DQ-1W

The E-120 is a guitar speaker with alu dust cap

Yes I know.
    My D123 are also used in boxes of guitars (Fender).
    The E120 seem suitable for work as woofer.
    Has anyone used them in this configuration?

Victório Benatti

Quote Originally Posted by victoriobenatti View Post
    Thank you very much for the information. The models cited are very difficult to find.

Has anyone tried the JBL E120 model? If so, what do you think of it?

Victório Benatti
    E120 is not as good as K120, and the both are midrange ,not for woofer.
    46 lover

Would someone please tell me what are the differences between the 2206H and 2206HPL ?

In advance thank you.

Victório Benatti

PL stands probably for ProtectionLess. Meaning it doesn't come with the rubber "bumper" to protect the magnet. THose are usually found in complete systems as sold by JBL (cabinet + drivers).

Thread Information