Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 12" - Best Woofer

JBL 12" - Best Woofer

Could someone indicate, according to his opinion and personal experience, which is the woofer JBL 12" which has the best sounding, best linear response and greater sensitivity, regardless of the date on which it was released?

Thank You,

Victório Benatti
    4 x D123 + 2 x 2420/811B + DQ-1W

Jbl best 12"

In my opion the Jbl D123(98db efficient) has great sound and is the best, except for being a little weak in the extreme low end.I'm sure some other members on this forum will disagree with me -RUDY

One question remains though. Best for which purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Right! I liked the ME120-H (I think that was the model number) in the S/2600 2 way speaker......The woofer re-produced a lot of midrange as well so not made for really low energy although it seemed to operate quite well for me at the time.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

I think at 1200fe is the best 12" woofer JBL have made

As long as we have no idea of context, let me voice my praise for the 128H-1.

In a totally different application, I'm equally fond of the LE120H-1
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

For the purpose of producing the best bass on my system.

Victório Benatti

Quote Originally Posted by victoriobenatti View Post
    For the purpose of producing the best bass on my system.

Victório Benatti
    Hmmm... Okay then. And what is your system? What do your use it for? In-car sound system? Studio monitoring system? PA system? Home theater system? Horn loaded? Bass reflex?

2-way? 3-way? 4-way? How high do you want the woofer to reach? You want best hi-fidelity? Best power? Best low end?

You need to help us if you want a specific answer...

Per exemple, my Massey-Fergurson tractor is the best vehicle...on the farm. A Mercedes-Benz is the best vehicle on the autobahn... but sucks big time for cropping corn...

Description of my current system:

- Turntable Thorens TD-126 MKII Electronic

- SME-Arm 3009R
    - Arm Anti-static Thorens c/wire brush carbon
    - Moving-Coil Ortofon MC20 Super II
    - Internal lighting Kit c/mercury contacts. When you lift the lid of the TD light glows. The lower, off.
    - Pre-pre AudioNote Silvered Former AN-S4II (behind the Thorens)
    - Phono-pre vacuum tube DavidKon (behind the preamp)
    - CD-Transport Theta Pearl
    - DAC Theta Chroma 396
    - Preamp vacuum tube DavidKon (left on top of the power Sony)
    - Active 4-way Crossover: Techvox TPX2341SM (made in Brazil), under the CD-Transport
    - Power 1: Sony TAN-5550 for sub bass (under the preamplifier) 80 wrms/channel
    - Power 2: Single-Ended KT88 vacuum tube DavidKon for bass (right under neath the power 3) 6 wrms/channel
    - Power 3: Single-Ended 2A3 vacuum tube DavidKon for medium (right on top of the power 2) 2 wrms/channel
    - Power 4: Pure Triode vacuum tube DavidKon for treble (under neath the Sony) 16 wrms/channel
    - Subwoofer:
    - Dahlquist Low Bass Module
    - Front Boxes:
    - Bass: JBL D123 (greater, with 5 cubic feet enclosure JBL project for D123)
    - Mid: JBL D123 (minor)
    - Treble: Altec Lansing Horn 811B with JBL 2420 compression driver
    - Cables (total cost: U$ 40)
    - Deployable force: common copper, 10A, 250v, 7 in total
    - Common copper interconnect: c/brass terminals, 7.5 pairs in total
    - Boxes: PP, copper, 2x1mm2, 750V, 3.5 pairs in total
    Name:  DSC_0248.jpg
Views: 4753
Size:  79.8 KB

Victório Benatti

336063-001

If it's low frequency you're craving, then the JBL part no. 336063-001 alloy woofer with rubber surround is the ticket. This shielded 12" wonder is costly if you can find it, approaching $800. It's found in the HTPS400. I've never seen a model number for this driver.

Lacking the money and the luck of finding a 336063-001, I'd go for the LE120H-1, which is found in the L7 and the S3S Synthesis® Three subwoofer.
    Out.

Considering the mid is already a 12" driver, I would fill the lower box with a JBL W12GTi sub driver (20-60Hz). Enough sub bass to shake the building.

Looks like you have plenty of room for a 15-inch in that box . . . or maybe even an 18 . . .

A Mercedes-Benz is the best vehicle on the autobahn... but sucks big time for cropping corn...
    Sure, if you don't want to go fast, or expect it to handle well. Sort of like using a D123 and expecting deep bass.

Name:  250px-Mercedes_W168_front_20071109.jpg
Views: 3967
Size:  15.4 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Considering the mid is already a 12" driver, I would fill the lower box with a JBL W12GTi sub driver (20-60Hz). Enough sub bass to shake the building.
    It is not that I need because sub-bass already have a subwoofer Dahlquist for this purpose. What I'm wanting is an option for the bass and mid-bass provided by my current D-123, which are already very good. You know how it is, we always have curiosity to try other good components in the system.

Victório Benatti

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    I think at 1200fe is the best 12" woofer JBL have made
    I'm surprised it took five posts to effectively end this thread. I guess not enough folks have had the exposure to this transducer.

The only complaint Greg seems to have is the lack of a four-inch voice coil, hence the preference for the fifteens. Personally, I think it redefines performance of three-inch coiled twelves. It's pretty stunning with a real nice balance between low frequency extension, efficiency, ultra-low distortion, and superlative midrange. A note on the four-inch coils, rumor has it JBL is moving away from them in favor of the three-inch coils as found in the new 2216Nd. That said, the new 1501AL-2 and 1501AL-3 still sport the legendary JBL four-inch voice coil. They basically redefine state of the art in JBL fifteen inch transducers.

Interestingly, the new ten (100FE-12) is also very good. Jerry loaded it up with all the goodies too. It looks like a ten-inch version of the 1200FE-8/12. While it is made in China, JBL forced the vendor to strictly follow process and procedure.

Of course, all this is pointless, you can't technically buy them. I guess the thread should have been titled "JBL 12" - Best Woofer if one can't obtain a 1200FE-8 or 1200FE-12."

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm surprised it took five posts to effectively end this thread.
    I guess not enough folks have had the exposure to this transducer.

The only complaint Greg seems to have is the lack of a four-inch voice coil, hence the preference for the fifteens.
    Interestingly, the new ten (100FE-12) is also very good. Jerry loaded it up with all the goodies too.
    It looks like a ten-inch version of the 1200FE-8/12.
    How hard is it to get a pair of these drivers?
    Seems the best plan would be to build a pair of cabinets and do the distributed bass thing ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information