Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drew Daniels' ANCIENT AUDIOPHILE system

Sweet bejeebus that's a heck of a rig!

Color me impressed.

Un Be Leavable!! And I mean that in the best way!!!!

Thanks for the pictures. I'm going to print them out and show them to my speakers and tell them they should be ashamed of themselves!

I am relieved to see there are some of you with my sickness . I know I don't have to tell this forum the amount of work involved. It took about 3-4 years of acquiring parts and tools, planning, building, and assembling the room. The wiring was massive - I ended up assembling my own component interconnect wiring.

Drew steered me into trying to acquire an obsolete sound field manipulation device called an AEC 1000. Back in the day (mid 90's I believe) these devices could cost $10,000. People who owned them were absoluetly astounded at the sound results from these devices. It used radar technology to cancel out reflections and other abnormalities in the sound field of the room. I actually found one, acquired the software, but was missing a critical part - a pc card that would interface the device with a computer for setup. I tracked down old distributors, salesmen and even the inventor of the AEC device and no one could help me....

The soundfield is unbelieveably huge, uniform and focused. It was fantastically fun to plan, build, setup and above all listen. If you have the time, space, and of course money, you won't be sorry.

If I had to do it all over again, I might consider DSP units like Ashly's 24.24m to simplfy the wiring and minimize separate electronic components, and would mount the rack in another room (noisy fans of high power amps).

Wait - I still may do that

Quote Originally Posted by mmc8180 View Post
    I am relieved to see there are some of you with my sickness . I know I don't have to tell this forum the amount of work involved. It took about 3-4 years of acquiring parts and tools, planning, building, and assembling the room. The wiring was massive - I ended up assembling my own component interconnect wiring.

Drew steered me into trying to acquire an obsolete sound field manipulation device called an AEC 1000. Back in the day (mid 90's I believe) these devices could cost $10,000. People who owned them were absoluetly astounded at the sound results from these devices. It used radar technology to cancel out reflections and other abnormalities in the sound field of the room. I actually found one, acquired the software, but was missing a critical part - a pc card that would interface the device with a computer for setup. I tracked down old distributors, salesmen and even the inventor of the AEC device and no one could help me....

The soundfield is unbelieveably huge, uniform and focused. It was fantastically fun to plan, build, setup and above all listen. If you have the time, space, and of course money, you won't be sorry.

If I had to do it all over again, I might consider DSP units like Ashly's 24.24m to simplfy the wiring and minimize separate electronic components, and would mount the rack in another room (noisy fans of high power amps).

Wait - I still may do that
    Now we're talking! Excellent work! No apparent shortcuts in that system. Sounds like the wait was worth it. I've been into this a year already.
    Your system looks really close to Drew's later plans. http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pe...ues/system.htm
    Can I ask what you're using for amplifiers?

The current plans will have neutrik connectors to cut down on wiring madness.
    I'm also looking at a miniDSP. It may be capable of running the entire system. I've looked at Lake, DBX and others. They get pricey!

A local forum member helped out with some 4645 cabinets. This will help move things along a great deal with minor compromise.

What a system!

I should be able to hear it in Ohio here when you turn it up!

If you ever host a listening party I think I could drive a few hours to hear a "one of a kind" speaker system!

It's got to sound awesome with all that efficiency. And I'm a big fan of efficient speakers!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Is the candle your SPL meter?
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Is the candle your SPL meter?
    Hot wax spatter at the listening position works as a level warning in the event your eyes are closed.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Yeah, like that. I was thinking, when it's blown out that's probably loud enough.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

I bought another complete 4645 cabinet from out of state. It arrived with some shipping dings, but easy items to deal with.

The 2245h is an issue however. The cone assembly looks fresh and perfect. The DCR checks ok.
    The voice coil is pinched in the gap from a shifted motor assembly. Undoubtedly there was some rough handling. What a shame. Such a great driver.

What the process for the repair and what are my options?
    What would roughly be the repair price at a min. and max?

This is still moving along. Just lack two 2245H recones for all of the major parts to be here.

These have been on my wish list for some time and I now have a pair.
    http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/4...1201/page.html
    This could change things up.

E145 - What to do?

Hi All. I have a few updates and questions.

Rob's post has me intrigued with the E145 as a potential midbass driver. They can easily run down to 80Hz which is a much better crossover point for multiple reasons.
    The sensitivity of these is still bothering me at -2dB from the rest of the drivers. I've considered doubling them up or putting them in a hypex horn.
    Granted that the 2245H array is 98dB. I have a notion that mutual coupling and room gain will bring them up a bit. What are your thoughts on the E145 arrangement?

On another note I've managed to gather a few more parts to make this happen. All four 2245H drivers are ready to go. Rudy K. hooked me up with a few empty 4645 cabinets. Thanks Rudy!

I've decided to go with the UREI 6200 series of amplifiers. This is what I've managed to pick up:
    1) 6215 - cooked a bit and on the bench currently
    2) 6260 - all good
    2) 6290 - one of these is down one channel with blown 12A fuse. It's going on the bench next and hopefully it does not involve replacing transistors.

All of them will be refreshed with new small caps and trimmers.

I've done the calculations for dedicated circuits on one possible driver arrangement. There is a potential to pull ~50A

The e145 are about 97db efficient isn't it? With two, you'd get more than the 98db target! Don't need to put them in a horn enclosure...

The E145 is advertised at 98dB. Everything else above it is advertised at 100dB 1w/1m min. making this the target.

Below 80Hz should not need any additional work as stated above. That could be easily addressed down the road if necessary.
    The drivers above 80Hz would be much more difficult to reconfigure.
    Drew spec'd the 2220H driven up to 500Hz. The E145>TAD TM1201 should probably work out better at a ~280Hz-300Hz crossover point.
    Westlake is using the TAD down to 200Hz.

I'm leaning towards doubling the E145 myself. It may be the safest approach to get it right the first time.
    The horn idea is more of a curiosity as it's seemingly difficult to get an expected result. Does Hornresp give any decent predictions in hypex design?

I've found some cabaret cabinets that only had the E145 in them and that prompted me to start working on this again. There is another pair of E145 baskets and nos recone kits here as well. The DBX and UREI electronics needed a considerable amount of attention, but it was all purchased as questionable(affordable) to begin with.

Name:  MMB5-30.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  43.0 KB

The room is part of my business space and it should be flushed into the wall for a variety of reasons. I've had some thoughts about how to future proof such a complex system. What I've come up with is mounting the drivers from the mid cone on up with MDF panels and rack unit rails. This should make it easy to create new panels for testing different drivers. I'm not sure it's wise to tie these rails into the wall or just build the rails as an isolated assembly. The E145 cabinets will only make contact with the floor. This is a very rough sketch of what I have planned. There are no custom cabinets for the 2245 drivers yet, but added 4645 boxes for the helluvit.

Name:  screenshot1.JPG
Views: 1059
Size:  52.8 KB

The way it sits, I'm completely floored with what I'm hearing. While the percussion is not where I want it yet, it's good to know and hear that I've not made a huge series of mistakes.

Thread Information