Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: active 4345's

A second Behringer is clearly the best option. No problem qcquiring one of those but I'm sure I saw something regarding a possible 4th ch.X2 with the Behringer. I can't access the manual presently till I deal with an apparent problem with my system. I will be using 3 Acoustat TNT 200s and a TNT 120, all upgraded and rebuilt by Roy A. Esposito of Sounds Like New. He was part of the engineering team that designed these amps. Power wise they're way overkill but the amps are state of the art and probably the best sounding ss amps I've heard in over 30 years. Their speed and bottom end control are second to none. Imo very close to reality. I had an Oppo BDP95 delivered yesterday to replace my old Rotel CDP. Very nice sounding player. My pre is a Meridian 501. I'm about to put together a pair of altered 4345s in 12 cubic foot cabs, 2206s for mids, and 2441/2390s for horns. I'm on the hunt for a cabinet maker willing to take them on. I can't seem to get anyone to return my call with an estimate.

That's a nice collection of amps! and sweet BR disk.

I've made an active 3-way, with integrated amplifiers. (Hypex) using the DCX2496 with a volume-control kit. It uses a Limmer 042 horn for mid/high, with a 1" beyma compression driver, Eighteensound 6nd410 mid and a 15" RCF (L15P400) for lows.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1123338...6VolumeControl

That's the volume-control add-on.

This is what the set measures like on the listening-spot; The bump at ~400 hz is gone now too. it was a cross-over boost from the mid and low driver.

Can't help you out on the cabinets though, there are quite a few miles separating us.. Have you got cabinet plans handy? I've use a blue HPL from abet laminati for a rebuild of a set 4312a's (i'll get some better pics of that)

I'm no expert but that response curve looks close to ideal. Not sure I could handle that conversion but I really like the versatility of the Behringer. Did you build your Hypex trio? Roy rebuilt mine with mono switch and balanced input option. Like the Hypex mono kit, they are now distortion cancelling circuits. In mono they put out over 1100 watts each. I've asked him to build me a pair of passives by the seat of his pants. No word on that yet. BTW, a friend of mine is on her way over there for the flower festival. If you see her say hello for me. Her name is Michelle. She'll be riding a bike.

Regards,
    Peter

Yeah, it passed my by without notice. It's that time of year here. flower By bike, i think you mean motorcycle?

That's a suitable amount of power.

Hypex is pretty straight forward stuff; you buy a power-supply, amp modules of them, some wires and all you need to add is the heatsink. The power supply also has a build in DC protection detection, and a remote on/standby signal.

here are the heatsinks i'm using;

This is the mid and high amp, should be ~ 100 watts RMS @ 8 ohm, more than enough for the units i'm using.

This is a bridged low-amplifier, which is capable of 800 rms@ 8 ohm.

these are the amps in place in the speakers;

Very nice. Looks like they could double as mounts for a Harley. The Hypex amps have very good reviews. Not sure I would be pleased with the "forward" character of class D. I have not auditioned any as yet. No, I mean bicycle. I thought that's what everybody got around on over there.

I'm (was) sceptic to this class-d as well. you normally always hear this typical non analogue sound, (heard a NAD set on an audio-show, didn't know it was class D, i asked the 'showmaster' if it was a class D amp. "Noooo, no class D, don't let the engineers here that", he whispered. "This is a Direct Digital amp" Bingo, was my first reaction.. You could hear it, especially in the higher regions of female voices, like Dido's safe trip home. (good recording, imo) But these hypex amps have got a very friendly/natural behavior.

Yes, i'm an enthusiastic biker myself, too. (although i have seen quite a few cyclists in Canada as well, who seemed to take it very serious ) Weather here is OK, not too bad. Autumn has just started.

The hypex amps are fair cheap. They currently reduced the prices on the switching power supplies, you can have an amp now for about 250 dollars. I'm using the higher grade editions for mid/high and the lower models for lows. Even in brdige, they control the woofer with authority.

Nice build, and with build-in airflow too !!

Have you tried the new nc400?
    I bought 4 of them for my 2 mains (and probably 2 more in the futur, but still only one powersupply per side), but I am stuck with the build of the case...
    I would like to do something exactly like yours.
    I whish I had your talent! congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Nice build, and with build-in airflow too !!

Have you tried the new nc400?
    I bought 4 of them for my 2 mains (and probably 2 more in the futur, but still only one powersupply per side), but I am stuck with the build of the case...
    I would like to do something exactly like yours.
    I whish I had your talent! congrats!
    They are the ones I've been referring to. Midrange is apparently outstanding as is bottom end control. What is your take on the top end?

Reading the datasheet tells the whole story: http://hypex.nl/index.php?option=com...d=106&catid=42

I use them on my mids and high (TAD TL1201H and JBL 2450SL + Truextent Be diaphragms) and I can find no flaw in the way they sound!
    Of particular interest with compression drivers is the very low residual noise (very high S/N ratio), and the fact that you can reduce the gain down to 13dB.
    The lows (TAD TL1801) are currently handled by a MC2 MC1250, but switching to the nc400 is also an option I will try.

In that case the NC400s will probably smoke the Mac.

The MC1250 is not a Mac, it is a MC2 unit:
    http://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/mc1250.html

not that easy to smoke I suppose

I couldn't afford these NC400's, perhaps in a later stage, but so far i'm focussing on getting the Behringer up the par with a new clock. The currntly used hypex units perform very, very good as they are. i'm starting to love them more and more. About the air-flow, i also added a 90x90fan with a tiny PCB to control the airflow.

the 1200 watts SMPS takes some energy in idle, glad the fan is in place.

here is a link to the speakers themselves.

Currently listening to John Mayer, Born and Raised but is this studio mixer out of wack? or did he forgot he used the de-sser on the entire mix instead of the voice only? this is the most dull, flat sounding record ever. Great music, but this recording is poop? the guy recording must hate music? they are mixed on the set of barefoot mm27's, from my understanding. his acoustic recordings sound way, way, way better. Can't understand how someone can mess this up so bad.

this is a true work of art!

Would you build such amp cases for others ? (metal heatsink + wood box to integrate in a speaker)

Thank for the kind words! I guess i could, never considered it though, give me some time to think about it. What is it you need? I could figure out something to help you out.

Oh."" Yikes!""

Thread Information