Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: active 4345's

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    426

    active 4345's

    Hi all. Can someone help me with running a pair of 4345s through a Behringer DCX 2496? There's only 3 channels but they're 4way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rocinante
    Posts
    8,088
    Set them up to biamp.


    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    426
    Okay, but I have no networks. I'm building these from scratch. Using 2441/2390, and 2206.

  4. #4
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rocinante
    Posts
    8,088
    Well if that's the case can't you switch the 2496 to mono and purchase a second one to cover the other channel?


    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    426
    I can't locate a usable manual for the 2496. Would I then have 6 available channels per 2496? I would much prefer someone build me a pair of networks and bi-amp them. Anyone here you might suggest?

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    426
    I've already found this site. Problem is that it's deliberately obscured rendering it unreadable.

  8. #8
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,361
    Manual looks clean enough to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    I've already found this site. Problem is that it's deliberately obscured rendering it unreadable.
    2ch: Oppo, Acurus RL-11, JBL 240ti, Heath AS101, Carver TFM-25,Von Schweikert VR4
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460,

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    426
    Really! All the letters are covered with boxed X's. What's up?

  10. #10
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,361
    Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    Really! All the letters are covered with boxed X's. What's up?
    Then you need to update/upgrade your PDF reader or something on your system.

    I had checked the Behringers PDF file from work on a Windows machine and it was fine,
    then after your post I just checked it with my OSX (Mac) machine at home and it looks fine on that too.

    If there is a problem its on your system.
    2ch: Oppo, Acurus RL-11, JBL 240ti, Heath AS101, Carver TFM-25,Von Schweikert VR4
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460,

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    49
    For a 4-way setup, you'd need to either use a conventional crossover for the mid/high section or make it entirely active, using 2 dcx2496's.
    One 'problem' you need to address; you need a volume control for the DCX. The best way to use the DCX is with the digital input;

    If you use an analog source, the DCX needs to convert it to digital, and again back to analog. If you use a digital source, the extra conversion isn't needed.
    However, when using a digital input, you need to use some sort of volume-control. A digital volume control is a compromise, it looses detail if it's used at a lower level. I'm using a DCX with a volume control kit in the analog output, which works like a charm. This kit removes the hiss the normal DCX output creates. (my 106db 1w/m drivers only have a slight hiss, when you listen directly in the horn) with the stock one it suffered serious noise.

    here is the link to a few pics of this volume control board.

    Another option is a minidsp, it has got more than enough inputs, and is available in a ready to run enclosure.

    http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/d...10-hd?sef=hcfp

    It's also available with more inputs. Reason i chose for the Behringer is because it uses good quality DAC's and with the volume control PCB, the volume control should be a better grade. (and i used it for an active 3 way, not 4 way, like yours)

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Serum View Post
    For a 4-way setup, you'd need to either use a conventional crossover for the mid/high section or make it entirely active, using 2 dcx2496's.
    One 'problem' you need to address; you need a volume control for the DCX. The best way to use the DCX is with the digital input;

    If you use an analog source, the DCX needs to convert it to digital, and again back to analog. If you use a digital source, the extra conversion isn't needed.
    However, when using a digital input, you need to use some sort of volume-control. A digital volume control is a compromise, it looses detail if it's used at a lower level. I'm using a DCX with a volume control kit in the analog output, which works like a charm. This kit removes the hiss the normal DCX output creates. (my 106db 1w/m drivers only have a slight hiss, when you listen directly in the horn) with the stock one it suffered serious noise.

    here is the link to a few pics of this volume control board.

    Another option is a minidsp, it has got more than enough inputs, and is available in a ready to run enclosure.

    http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/d...10-hd?sef=hcfp

    It's also available with more inputs. Reason i chose for the Behringer is because it uses good quality DAC's and with the volume control PCB, the volume control should be a better grade. (and i used it for an active 3 way, not 4 way, like yours)
    You've lost me regarding the volume control. Is the DCX not governed by the pre? I thought I saw a few words on the manual I was able to make out regarding a quasi 4th channel possible somehow. Can you clarify this?

    Thanks,
    Peter

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    49
    Governed by the pre; yes, if you use the analogue input and accept the losses. (if you are playing from a CD, you have a DAC in your CD, send it through your analogue volumecontrol, the berhringer will make it ADC and DAC again.

    The dcx2496 has got 6 outputs; not more. if you want an active 4 way setup, you need two of these devices. (you will have 2 outputs per device unused)

    You can't use 1 device for a stereo 4 way active crossover, like planned.

    You could also use it as a 3 way active crossover and use a passive crossover between mid/high.

    The minidsp i posted earlier does have the ability to be used as a stereo 4 way.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    426
    Okay, got it. What are your thoughts on connecting the 2405s directly to a stand alone amp?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    49
    That would be an option too, but you would need a passive x-over network for that tweeter. and you can't time-align it to your woofer/mid. (the behringer has an auto time-alignment function, i like that feature myself. be carefull with it; use a capacitor on your tweeter/mid driver when using this, as far as i know it uses a full-range test signal for this..) I understand that another behringer is out of the question?

    What amps are you using? some amps have got a x-over build in.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •