Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My next project

Hey Nick,

How's it going? Good choice on the 4520's. Nice design and shouldn't be (too) complicated to build. Are you going to use two drivers per cab or mod them to take a single, larger, driver? Just curious. Either way they should supply you will all the bass you'll ever need, and more. Good deal on the biscuit joiner. I've never used one but I know they are very popular among cabinet making enthusiasts. Sounds like you are set. When does the work begin?

The KEF's are done and making wonderful music, so now I can begin on the Onken/Altec project. I've labored over this concept in my mind, and on paper, for several weeks now and I have decided to break with tradition and construct the Onken's as sealed enclosures. Of course, this means I will have to use totally different drivers than the GPA 515's or JBL 2226H's, due to their lower EPB/QTS specs, but that's okay. There are plenty of drivers that will behave well in a sealed enclosure. Anyway, more on that in a separate thread.

Keep us posted on the 4520's, and don't forgrt to include pics. Are you going to continue the 4520's in this thread or begin a new one? Cheers!

Willy

Haha, they begin today. I cut all the sides and cut slots for biscuits. I'm also using confitmat screws. Now I'm going to start mapping out the horn vanes on one of the sides. The clamp it to the otherwise and drill a bunch of holes through both. The holes will be corresponding point of the internal panels. I'm going to use blocks of 1x2 finished pine to fasten the internal vanes too. Not sure how I'm going to do that assembly yet. But I'm taking my sweet time too minimise screw ups on my part.

I think I'll make 2 holes in the baffle and make a block off for a hole so I can run it with one driver. I had to go buy some pipe clamps though. I'm gluing to pieces of mdf together for the back panel but my big bar clamps weren't big enough. So off to home depot again. Got a 10 foot piece of black pipe and 2 pipe clamp kits. Had them cut the pipe in half and I'm good. I think I'm going to clean up the glue edge on the 2 back panels with my router table though. They are a little rough at the moment. I also need to decide what adhesive to use. I'm planning to try loctite's pl which I've read good things about. Its applied with a caulking gun and expands as it cures so its good for sealing up things.

These cabinets won't be perfect but they will hopefully do the job for a bit.

As for the harbor freight biscuit joiner, its not perfect. It has a lot of play in the fence but I've seemed to get the hang of it. As a starter tool its just fine. It doesn't produce cabinet shop perfect joints. But neither can I yet, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by intercity125 View Post
    Hey Nick,

How's it going? Good choice on the 4520's. Nice design and shouldn't be (too) complicated to build. Are you going to use two drivers per cab or mod them to take a single, larger, driver? Just curious. Either way they should supply you will all the bass you'll ever need, and more. Good deal on the biscuit joiner. I've never used one but I know they are very popular among cabinet making enthusiasts. Sounds like you are set. When does the work begin?

The KEF's are done and making wonderful music, so now I can begin on the Onken/Altec project. I've labored over this concept in my mind, and on paper, for several weeks now and I have decided to break with tradition and construct the Onken's as sealed enclosures. Of course, this means I will have to use totally different drivers than the GPA 515's or JBL 2226H's, due to their lower EPB/QTS specs, but that's okay. There are plenty of drivers that will behave well in a sealed enclosure. Anyway, more on that in a separate thread.

Keep us posted on the 4520's, and don't forgrt to include pics. Are you going to continue the 4520's in this thread or begin a new one? Cheers!

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Haha, they begin today. I cut all the sides and cut slots for biscuits. I'm also using confitmat screws. Now I'm going to start mapping out the horn vanes on one of the sides. The clamp it to the otherwise and drill a bunch of holes through both. The holes will be corresponding point of the internal panels. I'm going to use blocks of 1x2 finished pine to fasten the internal vanes too. Not sure how I'm going to do that assembly yet. But I'm taking my sweet time too minimise screw ups on my part.

I think I'll make 2 holes in the baffle and make a block off for a hole so I can run it with one driver. I had to go buy some pipe clamps though. I'm gluing to pieces of mdf together for the back panel but my big bar clamps weren't big enough. So off to home depot again. Got a 10 foot piece of black pipe and 2 pipe clamp kits. Had them cut the pipe in half and I'm good. I think I'm going to clean up the glue edge on the 2 back panels with my router table though. They are a little rough at the moment. I also need to decide what adhesive to use. I'm planning to try loctite's pl which I've read good things about. Its applied with a caulking gun and expands as it cures so its good for sealing up things.

These cabinets won't be perfect but they will hopefully do the job for a bit.

As for the harbor freight biscuit joiner, its not perfect. It has a lot of play in the fence but I've seemed to get the hang of it. As a starter tool its just fine. It doesn't produce cabinet shop perfect joints. But neither can I yet, lol.
    Hey Nick,

Man, you don't waste any time, do you? LoL! Confirmat screws are a perfect choice for particle board and MDF applications. As for adhesives, I've been using Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue for most of my woodworking projects and it works great. For something more heavy duty you can also use Titebond Provantage Interior & Exterior Wood Projects Adhesive. It, too, is applied with a caulking gun. Good stuff! Depending on how fast you need a set and cure rate they have many other adhesives to choose from, too. Just something else to consider.

Willy

Oh no, don't give me more choices, lol. Its been a busy weekend. But productive. I finished the frame for the first horn. Drew the pattern on on the inside of a side. Then drilled small holes threw that panel and into one I had clamped to the bottom of it and then I played connect the dots. I also did that to two other sheets for the second horn.

I did have to change the horn a little. My horn is a little thinner the the 4520 by 2 inches so I had to compensate for it. So some angles have changed. But its coming along.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by intercity125 View Post
    Hey Nick,

Man, you don't waste any time, do you? LoL! Confirmat screws are a perfect choice for particle board and MDF applications. As for adhesives, I've been using Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue for most of my woodworking projects and it works great. For something more heavy duty you can also use Titebond Provantage Interior & Exterior Wood Projects Adhesive. It, too, is applied with a caulking gun. Good stuff! Depending on how fast you need a set and cure rate they have many other adhesives to choose from, too. Just something else to consider.

Willy

Thread Information