Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My next project

Hi Nick,

Sounds like the Karnak is going to work out great. Did you ever check into those fillable caulk tubes? Just curious.

As for horn damping, what I used for my Belle's horns, and will also be using for my 511B's, is a rubberized spray-on truck bed liner. It's kind of like Rhino-Lining but not as thick. I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but the difference in sound from the pre sprayed Belle horn to the sprayed horn was noticeably different; to my ears, anyway. If I had to give a description of the change, I'd say the sound became smoother. I don't think the Belle's horns ever had a "ringing" problem like some people describe of the 511B's, but they sure sounded good after the spray was applied. I used about 4 coats on the outside and a single coat on the inside, which did not detract from their shape in any way. In fact, they looked rather good, although in a Belle, you'll never see them anyway unless you looked around back.

Anyway, just something to consider for your horns.

Willy

Hey Willy,

Once I get a little farther along I'll put more thought into how to get the stuff in there. I worked on the cabs for about 4 hours today. I put a piece of 3/4" on the tops of the cabs. I glued in the back panel flange on the last cab and worked on the reflex vent. Doesn't sound like much when I type it out does it. I'll be be putting the dampening in soon though. I'll be putting 100% of my time to filling and leveling the sides out next. That's going to take a bit of time. I have done some filling on one cab but not the other one.

but progress is being made.

I actually thought about using the bedliner but I went for the cheaper option.

Quote Originally Posted by intercity125 View Post
    Hi Nick,

Sounds like the Karnak is going to work out great. Did you ever check into those fillable caulk tubes? Just curious.

As for horn damping, what I used for my Belle's horns, and will also be using for my 511B's, is a rubberized spray-on truck bed liner. It's kind of like Rhino-Lining but not as thick. I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but the difference in sound from the pre sprayed Belle horn to the sprayed horn was noticeably different; to my ears, anyway. If I had to give a description of the change, I'd say the sound became smoother. I don't think the Belle's horns ever had a "ringing" problem like some people describe of the 511B's, but they sure sounded good after the spray was applied. I used about 4 coats on the outside and a single coat on the inside, which did not detract from their shape in any way. In fact, they looked rather good, although in a Belle, you'll never see them anyway unless you looked around back.

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Hey Willy,

Once I get a little farther along I'll put more thought into how to get the stuff in there. I worked on the cabs for about 4 hours today. I put a piece of 3/4" on the tops of the cabs. I glued in the back panel flange on the last cab and worked on the reflex vent. Doesn't sound like much when I type it out does it. I'll be be putting the dampening in soon though. I'll be putting 100% of my time to filling and leveling the sides out next. That's going to take a bit of time. I have done some filling on one cab but not the other one.

but progress is being made.

I actually thought about using the bedliner but I went for the cheaper option.

Hi Nick,

There's really no right or wrong. Some things just work better than others. The trick is finding the good ones!

I feel exactly as you when you say, 'doesn't look like much when I type it out.' These projects are a labor of love, but can be so time consuming. Sunday is the only day I can really devote to 'projects' so I have to make every minute count. You mentioned filling and leveling... I can spend an entire day (or two) doing just that. It's a laborious process, and doesn't seem to do much in the way of furthering a project; however, I know it's a crucial step and must be done.

I've been building a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8 Monitors for the last two months, and even at their size it seems to have taken forever. I only have a little sanding to complete and then install the veneer and they're done. Then I can begin the big project on the Altec LF cabinets for my 511B's. I'll be sure to add pics, just as you have with yours.

Willy

Hey Willy,What really doesn't help is I'm getting over a nasty cold too. Even with a dust mast I'm dieing after an hour of cutting or sanding. I will be so glad when its out of my system. That was the reason I stopped yesterday as I was coughing my brains out.
    Hi Nick,There's really no right or wrong. Some things just work better than others. The trick is finding the good ones!I feel exactly as you when you say, 'doesn't look like much when I type it out.' These projects are a labor of love, but can be so time consuming. Sunday is the only day I can really devote to 'projects' so I have to make every minute count. You mentioned filling and leveling... I can spend an entire day (or two) doing just that. It's a laborious process, and doesn't seem to do much in the way of furthering a project; however, I know it's a crucial step and must be done.I've been building a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8 Monitors for the last two months, and even at their size it seems to have taken forever. I only have a little sanding to complete and then install the veneer and they're done. Then I can begin the big project on the Altec LF cabinets for my 511B's. I'll be sure to add pics, just as you have with yours.Willy

Hey Willy,What really doesn't help is I'm getting over a nasty cold too. Even with a dust mast I'm dieing after an hour of cutting or sanding. I will be so glad when its out of my system. That was the reason I stopped yesterday as I was coughing my brains out.
    Yeah, that's a bummer. I hope you feel better soon, so you can get back to it hard and heavy... we need more pics!

Yeah, that's a bummer. I hope you feel better soon, so you can get back to it hard and heavy... we need more pics!
    Hi Nick hope your recovered any update on the restore?

Quote Originally Posted by sbjacob View Post
    Hi Nick hope your recovered any update on the restore?
    Well if it's not one thing its another. I was looking forward to getting a bunch of work done last weekend. But Saturday I pulled my back out. Sucks. Im hoping maybe this wekend, but I doubt it.

Hey Nick,

It's been a while since we've heard from you; hope all is well and that you're doing okay. How's the Altec project coming along? We'd sure love to know where you're at with it. Give us an update when you get the chance. Cheers!

Willy

Ya I am. My wife and I just got into out new house. Before that I was making sure everything got done right so we could move into our new house. The altecs got moved from my work to my new garage. At the moment the garage is a little tight with the boxes and all. But Im hoping to get back to them real soon. Cant been soon enough. I cant wait to fire these bad boys up and listen to some tunes.

I decided to forgo the veneer and paint them gray. Just feels better that way.

As soon as I get back to it ill post some more pictures. Not a whole lot left. Just some more filling sanding and then paint. Oh and putting some tar in the old horns too, LOL.

That sounds kind of obscene

Nick

Ya I am. My wife and I just got into out new house. Before that I was making sure everything got done right so we could move into our new house. The altecs got moved from my work to my new garage. At the moment the garage is a little tight with the boxes and all. But Im hoping to get back to them real soon. Cant been soon enough. I cant wait to fire these bad boys up and listen to some tunes.

I decided to forgo the veneer and paint them gray. Just feels better that way.

As soon as I get back to it ill post some more pictures. Not a whole lot left. Just some more filling sanding and then paint. Oh and putting some tar in the old horns too, LOL.

That sounds kind of obscene

Nick
    Hi Nick,

Glad to hear that all is well. And, congratulations on the new house. It's a lot of work moving into a new house, or any house for that matter. No wonder you've been off the radar.

I think going gray is a great idea, and is so much easiet than trying to veneer a speaker of that size. I'm planning on doing a version of the Altec 612, with the 511's on top, and I'm going to do them in a semi-metalic gray.

Anyway, enjoy the new house, and when you get settled in and back to work, snap us a few pics of the finished product. Cheers!

Willy

Hi Nick,

Glad to hear that all is well. And, congratulations on the new house. It's a lot of work moving into a new house, or any house for that matter. No wonder you've been off the radar.

I think going gray is a great idea, and is so much easiet than trying to veneer a speaker of that size. I'm planning on doing a version of the Altec 612, with the 511's on top, and I'm going to do them in a semi-metalic gray.

Anyway, enjoy the new house, and when you get settled in and back to work, snap us a few pics of the finished product. Cheers!

Willy
    Will do.

J.A.F.S.

Dampening Material

Hi Nick,

Willy
    I use the same goop for horn dampening. You can also use gravel guard. I buy the stuff in bulk from an auto refinishing wholesaler. I use a schutz gun and air compressor to apply it. The material, once dried, takers a paint finish very well and does not out gas.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Rubberized body protection. Also known as body shutz by German car owners.

Wurth makes some. Other brand available. Usually, you can get a fine or a coarse texture.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1069128542.jpg

Lee

I think the roofing stuff is very similar to the car stuff. I know there is glass fiber in the roofing cement though. Thats probably the only difference. The solvents are more then likely the same.

Nick

Body Shutz eh. That funny.

Im now trying to get the honey do list cut down some. Im hoping to be able to work on these soon though. My wife wants to park her car in the garage. I told her I would have to finish the cabinet so she can.

Maybe if Im luck she'll buy that and let me work on these bad boys this wekend. But then again, I'm not that lucky, LOL.

But they are taking up a ton of space in the garage. Im hoping that ill be at a point to get them done afater the holidays. Time is just flying by and they aint going to finish themselfs.

Thread Information