Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My next project

Hey Nick!

Nice progress! You should put some wheels on them before you start the painting job, so you donīt have to move them the way you are doing it now
    Have you glued the front panel on or is it still removable?

Best
    Martin

Thanks Ara,

Ears,

there wonlt be much of any paint on them. Im going to put wood veneer on them. The only part that will be painted is the front of the baffle board on the back of the horn. It wouldnt be very wasy to put veneer on it with the glue block at the top.

Still alot more work to do. I also decided I am going to put a piece of 3/4" ply on the tops of them. The top still resonates when the sander touches it. They are getting nice and heavy though. Good thing they arent going to move much once they are in place.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Thanks Ara,

Ears,

there wonlt be much of any paint on them. Im going to put wood veneer on them. The only part that will be painted is the front of the baffle board on the back of the horn. It wouldnt be very wasy to put veneer on it with the glue block at the top.

Still alot more work to do. I also decided I am going to put a piece of 3/4" ply on the tops of them. The top still resonates when the sander touches it. They are getting nice and heavy though. Good thing they arent going to move much once they are in place.

Nick
    Nick have you considered staining them and hitting them with a few coats of water base poly they would look very nice and would save time as veneering can be very time consuming well let me rephrase that "Time consuming for me" it may not be for you ether way they will look awesome and sound great I love my Altec's wish I had more room

All except for the bondo I used for filler. I've always wanted to try to veneer something and I figuared this would be a good way to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbjacob View Post
    Nick have you considered staining them and hitting them with a few coats of water base poly they would look very nice and would save time as veneering can be very time consuming well let me rephrase that "Time consuming for me" it may not be for you ether way they will look awesome and sound great I love my Altec's wish I had more room

All except for the bondo I used for filler. I've always wanted to try to veneer something and I figuared this would be a good way to try it.
    Hi Nick,

It's a perfect opportunity... just 'go for it.' I believe you have a Rockler woodworkers retail store down your way, they have a great selection of veneers to choose from. I have been using pressure sensitive veneers (PSA) of late, and really love the ease in which they can be applied. I finished my Klipsch Belles in walnut PSA and they came out beautiful.

Willy

Oh I didn't know that. There goes the rest of my project money,lol. There is actually a few good places to buy veneer and hardwood here in Houston.

I'm actually thinking about doing it the old fashion way, hammer veneer. Except for the horn though. PSA would be the best there. There is so many opinions though. Its quite daunting. I'd like to try something fancy into don't want to get carried away.

I did cut the vent in one cabinet today. I went with a rectangular vent. It was 2 inches tall and 10 inches wide. 1.5 inches deep. I just used another layer of 3/4" plywood on the back of the baffle to get the depth.

I might actually be able to test one of these out soon. But there's still plenty of work to do. I still have to put a piece of ply on the top of both cabs. And then there's more filling and sanding to do. But I'm taking my time so I don't get impatient and screw something up.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by intercity125 View Post
    Hi Nick,

It's a perfect opportunity... just 'go for it.' I believe you have a Rockler woodworkers retail store down your way, they have a great selection of veneers to choose from. I have been using pressure sensitive veneers (PSA) of late, and really love the ease in which they can be applied. I finished my Klipsch Belles in walnut PSA and they came out beautiful.

Willy

Name:  2012-09-10 08.08.40.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  70.2 KB

Here they are as of now. You can see how I cut the vent. Much smaller then stock. Should go down close to 30Hz now. Im hoping I dont have any port noise. Ill test it out soon.

Here they are as of now. You can see how I cut the vent. Much smaller then stock. Should go down close to 30Hz now. Im hoping I dont have any port noise. Ill test it out soon.
    Nick I like what you did with the bottom side tie-in gives them a nice stance.

Ya I though so too. At first I was going to put a piece of wood in the front to fill the space between the feet. But I'm having second thoughts.

Should be firing one up soon to test it out. But I've been sick since mid last week so I have limited energy. Really sucks too since the weather was very nice over the weekend.

Nick I like what you did with the bottom side tie-in gives them a nice stance.

Hey Nick,

I love what I am seeing so far; keep it coming! Did you use one of those on-line port calculator programs to come up with the slot size, or did you just use an educated guess? Just curious, as I will be building my custom Altec LF cabinets soon, and since they are going to be a cross between a 620 and 612, I will needto calculate a port size for them. Cheers!

Willy

Hey Willy you can download WINisd. Its freeware and its the sim I use. I use the beta since I have been having issues with the alpha. But it works great you just need the ts parameters for your driver.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Im testing one out right now, sounds great.

Nick

Hey Nick,

I love what I am seeing so far; keep it coming! Did you use one of those on-lineport calculator programs to come up with the slot size, or did you just use aneducated guess? Just curious, as I will be building my custom Altec LF cabinetssoon, and since they are going to be a cross between a 620 and 612, I will needto calculate a port size for them. Cheers!

Willy

Very helpful... thanks! I'll load it up after work. BTW, glad to hear that your test sample is sounding so good. Can't wait to begin my project.

Im having a blast. I never in a million year would have thought I would have a pair of altec a7's. Now I need to cut the vent in the other cabinet and put the strip on the the back panel mounts too.
    WINIsd works quit well. I found it about a year ago and have been using it ever since. And Im cheap so it being free is a major plus. Dont know how accurate it is but a lot of people use it.

Nick

Very helpful... thanks! I'll load it up after work. BTW, glad to hear that your test sample is sounding so good. Can't wait to begin my project.

Im having a blast. I never in a million year would have thought I would have a pair of altec a7's. Now I need to cut the vent in the other cabinet and put the strip on the the back panel mounts too.
    WINIsd works quit well. I found it about a year ago and have been using it ever since. And Im cheap so it being free is a major plus. Dont know how accurate it is but a lot of people use it.

Nick
    Nick you have a nice big area to fire those up they will sound very good in that big room .

The room they will reside in is 33 feet long and 22 feet wide, so not small. They were in the shop I work at still. Just need to buy plywood for the tops of both cabinets and finally do all the filling. Plus there dampening the cabinets and the horns.

On the topic of dampening the horn I have my verdict on the Karnak flashing cement. Its been drying on the board since the day before labor day. I put the board in the vertical position last weekend to see if gravity would cause it to flow. It did not. This is worse case sinerio too as its quite hot in the garage in the summer time. It has hardened a bit but its still a little soft. Its about the hardness of clay. So in the cabinet when there in the nice cool a.c. I sure it will be harder.

My other concern was the smell. Well, I don't even smell asphalt. Its more like a solvent smell like paint thinner. It not strong either. I only smell it when I stick my nose up to it too.

Nick you have a nice big area to fire those up they will sound very good in that big room .

Thread Information