Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My DIY Altec 828

Hello guys..

Okay, so the last days has gone with some working on the new sets of horns I shortly talked about.
    It takes long time to make them! Longer that I thought it would, but the light in the end of the tunnel is shining
    To give you some idea of what Iīm doing....

Name:  20120821_151104.jpg
Views: 2127
Size:  103.4 KBName:  20120823_182511.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  121.4 KBName:  20120823_182318.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  170.0 KBName:  20120823_182310.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  122.1 KB

Iīm happy with the result of the hard work, but there is a long way before they are singing... so have to find the time for me to finish. Iīm going back to school Monday so I have finish it up during weekends if possible . Canīt wait!

Best regards
    Martin

Nice work on the horns Martin!

I wish I had woodworking skills to do that kind of work.

Especially since I'm a die-hard wood horn fanatic!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    ESO, what are the dimension of your vents? Im just starting to read up on changing the vent configuration. What driver are you using in those too? 416 or 515?

Thanks
    Nick
    I'm not sure the dimensions. I did these over 10 years ago. I believe I sized them to 100 Sq. In. This is an A5 system: 515b, 288b, 1005A (tar-filled). The way I've current got them configured in my shop I'm using some Electro Voice electronic crossovers with Sonic Impact Super-T amps to bi amp them and I use my laptop, phone or iPod as the front end. Not really a hifi setup, but It's great in the shop.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I wish I had woodworking skills to do that kind of work.

Especially since I'm a die-hard wood horn fanatic!

Regards, Ron
    Thanks guys! I can tell you, when I started using wood tools I made a lot of "ups, -from the top again" mistakes . Everybody does that! Then patience comes in handy also! And I slowly became a little better. In other words, there are hope for you spkman!

Last night I had a "enjoy you stereo" moment. I am amazed how loud the Altecīs can play with only 4 watt/channel! Normally Iīm not a person who likes to play too loud, but something happens when the cones start to move. A lovely 3D perspective, even down in the upper bass area, and the dynamic contrast makes you wana ROCK!
    Everything in between Norah Jones, and Nightwish is beautiful!

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards
    Martin

Would love to see an update of where this ended up! Looking at possibly have Altec 828s built, or some modification of such. I am only looking for 60-800hz response.

Hello agen!

Well this project has not moved so mush this winter as hoped. Mostly because of the school/homework. Now Iīm enjoying the Christmastime with the family! by the way: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
    Thinking about and counting on using some hours in the garage to come further in the horn project during the coming Christmas days... Status for the moment is the same as last:

Name:  horn.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  199.7 KB

Another major issue are the fact that the system is actually playing pretty nicely, and those new horns are "only" an upgrade. I would probably have found the time to be done by now if I didnīt have any horn to begin with....

Best regards
    Martin

I hear you. My own projects move at a similar pace. Still nice work!

Thread Information