Thread: Dwgs for Frazier Dixieland Cabinets

Dwgs for Frazier Dixieland Cabinets

Hello,

Does anyone out there have a working set of drawings for the classic Frazier Dixielander cabinets that they would be willing to share? That design has always fascinated me. I would like to study that cabinet and perhaps build a pair.

Thanks Mike,

Per your suggestion I posted over there but the entire forum looks to be very slow and poorly attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
    Thanks Mike,

Per your suggestion I posted over there but the entire forum looks to be very slow and poorly attended.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/...?PageIndex=219
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone out there have a working set of drawings for the classic Frazier Dixielander cabinets that they would be willing to share? That design has always fascinated me. I would like to study that cabinet and perhaps build a pair.
    These are a far cry from a "working" set of drawings but may provide some insight into the design itself. I'm actually running a pair of these as a LF horn in a work-in-progress DIY 3-way.

RCName:  0722 008.jpg
Views: 3272
Size:  36.7 KBName:  0722 009.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  35.0 KBName:  0722 012.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  23.2 KB
    Ignorant Member

Well that's interesting ...

I had not realized that the horn throat was so long and that there was a conical shaped spreader internal to the cabinet. What is the usable frequency range of your cabinets? Thanks Doucanoe.

Your welcome,
    Yes, Frazier used a cone type diffuser in front of the driver to help route the sound wave around the first turn. It's clearly visible when you remove the rear compression chamber panel and driver.

Frazier spec'ed the frequency response for the dixielander at 50Hz to 15K if I remember correctly. I have modified mine some by increasing the compression chamber volume replacing the original driver with the Eminence Delta 10A. I WT tested both drivers (in cab and free air) to compare parameters and whatnot but I would have to dig some to find that info. While the Delta 10A lost out a slightly in LF (Fs), it made up for in higher efficiency.

The Dixielander can sound a bit LF anemic if not corner loaded or in the wrong room. Corner loaded in my smallish room provides more than ample LF to my tastes. If you are looking for Sub bass, these are not going to cut it (alone) for you. Then again, nothing in a horn loaded cab like this or even 3-4 times larger is going to get you that anyway.
    I never mic tested in that room but I would imagine I'm getting good response to that or lower easily in my room.

I running a modified pair in my main set-up right now in something I have been fine tuning off and on here. It's a diy 3-way using the Dixielander, 350Hz Edgar Tractrix Flair/JBL LE5-2 for mid and Yamaha JA 4181B's for HF. Crossover is 1st order and 500Hz and 20K. I need to finish these up. They are sounding very nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ignorant Member

Thread Information