Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Just bought a Revel Ultima Sub15 NIB...What do I do now ??

I Just bought a Revel Ultima Sub15 NIB...What do I do now ??

First post and Greetings to all !!
    I was directed to this site from another Forum, and from the looks of it, this is where I need to be for help on this setup.
    As the title says, I bought this Revel sub sans the LE-1 because 1) it was brand new and 2) I have F52`s and thought it would be nice to have it all Revel. It`s my understanding that this sub has the JBL SUB1500 woofer in it ??

What I need now is an amp and x-over. So far a Crown XTi 2002 has been suggested as was a Crown xls 1000
    I only listen to 2 channel music.

So what do you think will work for me ? I`m open to any and all suggestions.

Steve

Hello Steve

What I need now is an amp and x-over. So far a Crown XTi 2002 has been suggested as was a Crown xls 1000
    I only listen to 2 channel music.
    How are you going to roll off the F52's?? The crossovers in those amps are not going to help you there. I suggested the 2002 over on the other forum I didn't realize you might not have that covered. I have a subwoofer thread running here using the 2002. I have an active crossover feeding the subs so I am using the DSP to simulate the BX-63 Bump filter and to flatten the response of the subs in room and not using the crossovers built into the amp.

The Emotiva Preamp has a subwoofer crossover built in for a 2.1 system. I have the pre and it sounds nice not knowing what you have now it's just another possible suggestion

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/usp1

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I`m going to run the F52`s full range and let the sub add to the bottom. That`s the plan unless convinced otherwise.
    So the Emotiva would work better you think ?

I`ll check out those threads..thx

Steve

You could try it. You can use the L/R 24 or 48dB slopes. Your -6db for the F52 point spec. is 25hz no?? Ideally you would want to tailor the crossover around your in room roll-off. The DSP is only going to work where the subs working so only from 30-25hz and down if you go that way.

Give this a read

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rob I read that and thanks. I also read an article where the reviewer used the Revel Performa B15 crossed @ 80hz to the F52`s and was rolling the lows off using high & low pass filters. I`m sure his findings where room dependant though very similar in size to my room.
    So MAYBE I shouldn`t run the 52`s full range.

I know virtually ZERO about outboard crossovers and how to integrate them.
    But I do like the idea of relieving the drivers in the speakers of heavy bass duty leaving that to the sub.
    If I where to consider that where would I start ?

Also the Performa B15 subs use a 1000 watt plate amp, couldn`t I incorporate one of those into the mix ?

Also the Performa B15 subs use a 1000 watt plate amp, couldn`t I incorporate one of those into the mix ?
    Sure that might actually work better depending on the plate amp. The issue is going to be an adjustable high pass for the 52's usually they are fixed or have limited choices. You are going to have to look around to find what you need.

Rob

There was a new Revel B15 amp on the 'bay only like a week ago !! Gone of course. Rob when you say... "The issue is going to be an adjustable high pass for the 52's usually they are fixed or have limited choices..."
    You ARE referring to a plate amp here right ?
    So if that`s the case then, I`ll dig around and look for a plate amp with the same features as the Revel amps.

All the carnage I`ve read about on the Sub1500`s seems to come from simply over driving them right ? I would imagine in a sane listening level for 2 ch music I shouldn`t have to worry then right ?

All the carnage I`ve read about on the Sub1500`s seems to come from simply over driving them right ? I would imagine in a sane listening level for 2 ch music I shouldn`t have to worry then right ?
    Yes I am refering to the plate amp and they had defective glue joints on some of the Parts Express close out drivers. Music you should be fine just watch those cannons on the 1812 Oveture

Rob

I just realized something...How in the world do you hook this sub up for 2 channel listening when there`s only one set of speaker terminals on the back ???

Most sub plate amps have a speaker level crossover option. So you would connect the output of your amp to the Speaker Level Inputs and then you would have the high passed Left and Right speaker terminals on the back as well where you would connect your F52's. Take a look at some plate amps and do a search.

What are you driving the speakers with?? List your system.

Rob

I`m using a Parasound HCA 1500A for the F52`s 205 watts/ch. I`m using speaker leads from that to a Rythmik 12" downfiring sub.
    Will the Crown XTi series amps work with this sub ?
    It caught me off guard to see just the one set of terminals.

Are the Sub1500 woofers dual voice coil ?

Which set of jacks do I use to connect my preamp to my amp?

Although it looks like there are two sets of inputs on our stereo amplifiers, there is actually only one set. They are labeled INPUTS. The other set of connectors are labeled LOOPING OUTPUTS. These would be used to send the stereo signal on to another amplifier. Daisy chain several amps to run multiple pairs of speakers. Do not use the LOOPING OUTPUTS as an input.
    Use the looping outputs to drive the subamp at line level or to drive the 2002 amp. What preamp are you using??

Rob

Rob, I have no idea what loops are but that`s why I`m asking around on what to do.

I`ve been happy listening to and owning all sorts of components I started in '78.
    My fledgling audiophile ears were opened when I moved up to an SAE 2400 MKIV 200 watt amp hooked up to my AVA modified Dynaco Pat5 SuperFet preamp going into a set of Magnepan speakers for a start.

The point being, I`m not new by any means just confused with some of these components that are being suggested and how to fully implement them. But I don`t want to leave anything on the table (within reason ) and am eager to learn.

The setup I currently have is very very modest but sounds really nice.
    Vinyl only..no CD.
    For years my Bellari VP129 phono pre with an old 60`s Telefunkin tube has been nice,(might upgrade later ) it runs straight into my amp with nothing in between. It has a volume control, works sweet ! Been lovin' it !

BTW..The Rythmik sub actually sounds pretty good it was built to suppliment my 1.6 Maggies so it works with the small drivers that are in the F52`s

Steve

Rob, I have no idea what loops are but that`s why I`m asking around on what to do.
    They are on the back of your amp. Don't you have your manuals?

I`m using speaker leads from that to a Rythmik 12" downfiring sub.
    Will the Crown XTi series amps work with this sub ? It caught me off guard to see just the one set of terminals.
    So you are already using the speaker level inputs to drive it. It's a powered sub so what does the Crown have to do with it??

One set of terminals on what??

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    They are on the back of your amp. Don't you have your manuals?

So you are already using the speaker level inputs to drive it. It's a powered sub so what does the Crown have to do with it??
    Just asking if the XTi will do all I need to integrate the sub into the system'

One set of terminals on what??

Rob
    I`ve got all my manuals/boxes etc..just never had the need before to change anything. Didn`t know..I do now..cool!

I was referring to the Revel sub as only having one set of terminals.

Thread Information