Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today I got lucky. SL-1200 and SL-P1200 stuff

Today I got lucky. SL-1200 and SL-P1200 stuff

I spotted a Technics Sl1200 Mk2 last night for $350.00 and emailed the owner right away. I have first pick and we set up a meeting at 10h30. Turntable is supposed to be 100% functional and I even asked about the target light. "Sure, it works". Drove an hour and meet the guy at this place. Guess what? Target light was burned... But the acrylic cover was minty and very few scratches on the deck. Motor and bearings are good. But the tone arm, my God, was swivelling a good 15°. Offered the guy $275 and spent three hours of TLC. I took the turntable apart completely and tightened the two Phillips screws that held the tone arm underneath. Now it is perfect. The height adjustment mechanism has been totally degreased, regreased and properly adjusted. I also adjusted the electronic brake. The included Shure M44-G cartridge was very good. But all is not over. My Cambridge D500 CD player died yesterday. So a friend of mine who owns a record shop tells me a friend of his has a warehouse full of NOS Technics equipment and is trying to make some room. There are 100 CD players among other things. But not just any CD player, the famous broadcast standard SL-P1200. Yup. 100 NOS and boxed. So, I bought two for a total of $40.00 a pair at my friend's cost. Life is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnWkEOeeuZ4

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-P1200.html

And did I mention I also receive my Numark M6USB mixer? ;-)

Yup. Today was a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I spotted a Technics Sl1200 Mk2 last night for $350.00 and emailed the owner right away. I have first pick and we set up a meeting at 10h30. Turntable is supposed to be 100% functional and I even asked about the target light. "Sure, it works". Drove an hour and meet the guy at this place. Guess what? Target light was burned... But the acrylic cover was minty and very few scratches on the deck. Motor and bearings are good. But the tone arm, my God, was swivelling a good 15°. Offered the guy $275 and spent three hours of TLC. I took the turntable apart completely and tightened the two Phillips screws that held the tone arm underneath. Now it is perfect. The height adjustment mechanism has been totally degreased, regreased and properly adjusted. I also adjusted the electronic brake. The included Shure M44-G cartridge was very good. But all is not over. My Cambridge D500 CD player died yesterday. So a friend of mine who owns a record shop tells me a friend of his has a warehouse full of NOS Technics equipment and is trying to make some room. There are 100 CD players among other things. But not just any CD player, the famous broadcast standard SL-P1200. Yup. 100 NOS and boxed. So, I bought two for a total of $40.00 a pair at my friend's cost. Life is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnWkEOeeuZ4

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-P1200.html

And did I mention I also receive my Numark M6USB mixer? ;-)

Yup. Today was a good day.
    Nice pick up!! I'll spin w/some friends every now and again; always loved how the mk2 held their pitch for long seamless mixes.

I now have a pair of SL-1200Mk2 turntables, on top of my SL-1000a which is bigger and heavier (not a bad thing).

As for the SL-P1200 CD player, it sold for $1400.00 back in 1989.
    http://www.rapmag.com/BackIssues/198...s_slp1200.aspx

It seems that my finding of NOS SL-P1200 CD players has triggred some interest from many members here. Basically, I will not be involved in any transaction, but as soon as I can get all the info, I will post it here so that those of you who are interested in getting some can purchase them directly. There will be 100 units available. because they are heavy, they will require special packing. Therefore a lot of time will be spent into packing, ensuring you receive them in proper shape. Meaning there will be a packing fee on all orders requiring shipping. Considering used unit with unknown history sell for $200-$300, even if the cost is $100+ after packing and shipping, it is still laughable for such broadcast quality equipment.

More news by Friday.

I will definitely need to widen the table to accomodate the CD player(s)...

Name:  DropThatBeat.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  95.7 KB

I had forgotten that Technics stopped production of the wheel of steel. Do you have any intention of trying some of the "audiophile" updates that others have used on the basic 1200?

Audiophiles? Scary peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post

More news by Friday.

You're killing me, Lee.
    Out.

Okay, here's the latest. Talked to my friend on Friday. He has started moving the decks from the warehouse to his shop and he is having a tech open every single box in order to fully test each unit. He shall be ready to start shipping by Friday 15th. He mentionned that he will soon post an announcement on his shop's Facebook account. He's reserving 10 units for this forum. On top of my pair and another friend's pair. BTW I saw them yesterday and they look very nice and new. And they are quite heavy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/8824168587/

I spent an hour this afternoon modifying my prototype console. I cut some holes underneath each turntable to pass (and hide) all wirings and at the front of the console so that all wiring can be cleaned up. Signal wires on one side, power cords on the other. Now, I must build a system from spares for the "booth". Most likely 2225 + 2441 on 2397 horns and some 2402 bullets horns.

Name:  DSCN1294.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  140.5 KB

In regard of the SL-P1200. I can't really place an ad in the classifieds as I have nothing to sell. And nothing will happen until next Friday anyway. I had a few PMs and here are their names by order of contact. This order will be respected for whatever number of decks is available. Please don't contact me to "put your name on the list". So far the list will end here. If more decks are available I will disclose the full info. Again I repeat, those are not mine.

Titanium Dome
    Louped Garouv
    10 watt street
    svollmer
    Hjames

Steve (Svollmer) was over my place yesterday for a listening party and we got curious -
    wondered if you'd heard any more from your friend about these decks?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Steve (Svollmer) was over my place yesterday for a listening party and we got curious -
    wondered if you'd heard any more from your friend about these decks?
    That. ^
    Out.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    That. ^
    patiently waiting here also.....

also following the vinyl shop.....
    they get some goodies!

Good morning lady and gentlemen. I passed by a few times at my friend's shop over the two past weeks. Delivery was postponed to a few days later, each time. Which usually doesn't look good. I was told on Friday that they went thru the boxes and tested most of the units for proper working condition. Open the box, connect power, test switches. The rate of bad units was too high for them to stand behind what they have. It sucks because those are brand new. I don't know why 2/3 were not working properly. Is that a storage problem with humidity, heat, or only time (20 years stored unused)? Or was the batch defective from the production (hence the 100 units left in a warehouse). I don't know. So basically, I have no idea what they will do with the decks, but I know for sure they won't sell them because there's a high risk of failure. I apologize for the false hopes. I was disapointed myself, but there's nothing that can be done. It looks like the decks will be trashed...

If this were an automotive forums, I would post titties to cheer you up...

Thread Information