Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oppo?

Oppo?

For a good all around reasonably priced CD player, is the BDP-93 a good one?

Depends on what you want. The Oppo is certainly a great deal more than a "CD Player", but probably over-kill if that's all you want.

What would you suggest

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Depends on what you want. The Oppo is certainly a great deal more than a "CD Player", but probably over-kill if that's all you want.
    In just a CD player with OPPO's quality build and audio section.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey19 View Post
    In just a CD player with OPPO's quality build and audio section.
    Again, it depends. If you are only needing a digital transport then anything will do. Your connected digital receiver will determine audio quality, not the player.

If you need a player with DAC to output analog stereo, then you can spend as much as you want. In some cases you will get your money's worth, but in some cases not. It's true that the analog quality from either the Oppo 93 or Oppo 95 far exceeds what you'll find in players costing much more. If this is your requirement, does the rest of your system offer the ability to resolve differences in DACs? We're talking about miniscule differences for the most part. The laws of diminishing returns apply here.

I want a CD player that you stick a CD in one end and you get music out the other end

Again, it depends. If you are only needing a digital transport then anything will do. Your connected digital receiver will determine audio quality, not the player.

If you need a player with DAC to output analog stereo, then you can spend as much as you want. In some cases you will get your money's worth, but in some cases not. It's true that the analog quality from either the Oppo 93 or Oppo 95 far exceeds what you'll find in players costing much more. If this is your requirement, does the rest of your system offer the ability to resolve differences in DACs? We're talking about miniscule differences for the most part. The laws of diminishing returns apply here.
    for around $500. What other CD players would match OPPO for build quality and audio component quality?

TiDome and I wound up with the earlier Oppo DV-981HD (no Blue ray) and liked that model an awful lot.

I later bought the BDP-93 and tho it was a bit pricey ($500) its a great multi-mode disc player.
    It plays CDs, SACDs, HDCDs, BluRay in all kinds of modes, even plays AVI files I copy to CD or DVD.
    I can even stream Netflix to it off the internet/my network.

I've updated the firmware 3 or 4 times since I bought it Oct 2010 - as long as its got internet connectivity, you can just do the download/update live.

I know the BDP-95 is much better, audio-wise - but its nearly double the price and that put it out of my budget.

After 3 or so years of 24/7 use, the old DV-981 had a power supply problem.
    I wrote Oppo in CA and they had a standard $50 fee to fix it and ship it back.
    Very painless, great support!

The DV-981HD was a very good multi-mode player CD, HDCD, SACD, DVDs, AVI files as well, it just doesn't do Bluray.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Since CD playback is your main focus, you have three choices.

1. rdgrimes correctly points out that if you're going to send a digital signal (via optical or coax cable) to your receiver (or preamp or external DAC), then any reliable CD player will do, even a pretty cheap one. I'd recommend a used one that has a rep for reliability, like late model Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, and Toshiba units.

2. If you want to have the CD player do the digital to analog conversion, there are some USED DVD, Blu-ray, and CD players that would fill the bill quite nicely, even though some would also play some media you're not presently interested in playing. A used Oppo-BDP83SE is a very good disc player that will do a very good job of converting CDs to analog and sending them to your receiver or pre. The used Oppo 981HD that Heather references and the Oppo 983H are good choices as well. They're lesser players than the BDP83SE, and they'll cost a lot less as well. The older Panasonic DVD XP30 and XP50 are very capable players, though they're getting to the age where some players will be wearing out. Also, the "00" Denons (DVD 2900, 5900, etc.) are good CD players, but later versions (2910, etc.) were problem prone.

3. Or you can have a NEW CD-specific player do this for you. There are some really expensive ones, but also a few good lower priced units like the Emotiva ERC-1, which might be the best solution in the under $500 category.
    Out.

Hello Hey19

I just went through this a few weeks ago. I was looking at upgrading my current CD player an older Sony CA7ES. I have an OPPO 93 in my HT system put I only use it as a transport and use the DAC's in my HT Processor. Since I was only going to be using it in a 2 channel system I just couldn't see going for another OPPO. I had a universal Denon 1940 that did everything but Blue ray still hanging around from my HT set-up that the OPPO replaced.

What I ended up doing was lookling at the Emotica ERC-2 CD player but I realized that the new CD player uses the same DAC and Analog section as the DAC they have on sale for $249. I ended up getting the DAC and using the Denon as a transport for CD/SACD/DVDA. So far it worked out very well. So if have a spare DVD player about that could work for you as well.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Cambridge Audio is clearing out their standard Redbook-only players. They seem to be phasing out the CD only format and moving to Universal ala Oppo. Maybe the sign of the future for the plain ole CD. Anyway, they are well regarded units and should be worth a look.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA650C
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    What I ended up doing was lookling at the Emotica ERC-2 CD player but I realized that the new CD player uses the same DAC and Analog section as the DAC they have on sale for $249. I ended up getting the DAC and using the Denon as a transport for CD/SACD/DVDA. So far it worked out very well.
    I've been considering their XDA-1 DAC for a while. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and I guess the question now is what will they replace it with?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks to all of you

I can't go wrong with the recommendations I've received. Very helpful.

From Titanium Dome, "A used Oppo-BDP83SE is a very good disc player that will do a very good job of converting CDs to analog and sending them to your receiver or pre."

Absolutely!!! Great sounding unit and nothing outboard to worry with. Prices have come down, too.

Thanks for the reinforcement...

Quote Originally Posted by doodle6 View Post
    From Titanium Dome, "A used Oppo-BDP83SE is a very good disc player that will do a very good job of converting CDs to analog and sending them to your receiver or pre."

Absolutely!!! Great sounding unit and nothing outboard to worry with. Prices have come down, too.

I do have my eye on that one.

[QUOTE=Titanium Dome;327308 A used Oppo-BDP83SE is a very good disc player that will do a very good job of converting CDs to analog and sending them to your receiver or pre. [/QUOTE]

Actually, the Oppo BDP-93 has an analog section that's very comparable sounding to the older BDP-83SE. Price for a used 83SE is comparable or more than a new 93.

Thanks RD

Actually, the Oppo BDP-93 has an analog section that's very comparable sounding to the older BDP-83SE. Price for a used 83SE is comparable or more than a new 93.
    That will certainly make a difference. In this case, new is better.

Thread Information