I just did a surround re-foam on my JBL Summit L300 woofers. I followed the sticky in the DIY forum using Rick Cobb's kit with the CD. It went well, and the speaker coils pretty much aligned themselves like the instructions said they would. I ran the tone at high volume (about 1/4 inch cone travel) until the glue was dry. They both sounded great, until I picked them up off the counter. One of them continued to sound great, but the other one started clicking like crazy. If I put it back on the counter, or cover the rear vent with my hand, it again sounds great.

It doesn't seem to be a side clearance issue with the driver, it seems like the whole cone is bottoming out. When I hold the speaker completely vertical, or with the cone pointing slightly down, it sounds fine no mater how I spin it around it's axis. It does sound good up to about 60 watts in any orientation. Unfortunately, the L-300 speaker case front is NOT completely vertical, it tilts slightly back.

It does appear that the cone sits slightly (very slightly) lower in the basket than the one that sounds good.

Anyone have this problem before? I hate to have to re-cone the damn thing, but is that my only option?

Thanks much,
Keen