Thread: Repairing L200b Cabinets

majick47

Repairing L200b Cabinets

In a week or two my two L200b cabinets will be going to a local guy that does antique furniture repair. I don't want to spend more money on repairing the cabinets then what the speakers are worth, I payed $300 for the speakers and was advised that if in good shape they are worth at least $1000. This leaves me with a cabinet repair budget of $700. The woofers were redone by a JBL pro shop earlier this year prior to me purchasing them and all the components seem to be in good shape. What would your advice be re what NOT to do that will deminish the value of the speakers. Most of the damage is to the walnut trim around the front of the speakers and assorted chips to the veneer. Would it be best to save as much of the original trim and veneer as possible or have new trim and veneer installed? Appreciate any advice, Rich.

It doesn't matter.

Unlike antiques, as long as the fit and finish are up to the original standards, nobody gives a whit whether or not they've been "restored."

Neither the materials nor the construction are exotic here. A competent cabinetmaker can render them as original.

If patching to retain the remains of the original will be apparent in the end result, or will be more costly, replace, instead....

majick47

L200b cabinet repairs

Zilch thanks for the expert advice re repairing the cabinets, Rich.

If the shop re-veneers the cabinets, you may want to ask that they use a continuous piece up one side, across the top, and down the other side so the grain matches up. Also book matching both cabinets left & right. Post some pics.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

majick47

L200B Cabinet Repair

Sonofagun appreciate the advice re useing a continous sheet of veneer. I spoke with a cabinet maker and the L200b speaker cabinets will require new veneer all around and replacement all of the solid walnut trim around the front edges of the cabinets. Some of the trim is either missing/damaged and it would be difficult to match the old pieces with the new. As it stands I am looking at an expensive project considering labor of $50 per hour and then ad in materials. Wondering if repairing the speaker cabinets is worth the cost? Maybe it would make more sense for someone who can do the work themselves.

Can you post some detailed pics?

majick47

L200b Cabinets

I'll try to get some pictures of the cabinets posted this week. They look rough but sound great which is the most important thing. If the cabinets are eventually replaced I'll make them available to someone who has the skill and time to repair them, don't worry they won't be going to the dump. Rich.

No Rich, that wasn't my intention. I wanted to see some pics to see if it was possible to repair.

Thread Information