Thread: Mounting 2342 sideways?

Mounting 2342 sideways?

Dear all,

Does anybody here have experience from mounting the 2342 horn sideways? JBL states them to be 100x100, but are they really.

Two of my rear boxes with MTM design are so tight that a normal 2342 won’t fit between the bas/mid drivers. An alternative would be to take out a portion of the horn behind the "cheeks" to allow for the frames of the bas/mid drivers to fit under the "cheeks".

I’m using OASR horns today so maybe there is limited benefit to move to 2342?

Any ideas?

Bestregards
    //RoB
    Last edited by sebackman; 07-12-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: missing spaces between words..
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Hi all,

No one used 4425 lying down on the side or mounted a 2342 lying down in a different box?

Kind regards
    //RoB

I have no 2342(s) / so no experience to offer .

That said, why do you want to change out the OASR waveguides ?

Pretty sure if Zilch was still alive , he would suggest you first try out JBLs' 6"x6" or 8"x8" waveguides before wrestling with & maybe cutting up 2342s .
    - Anyone who has used those little waveguides really liked them .
    - Seems they'd be just the ticket for your MTM rear surrounds / though you'd want different to use different drivers than 2426s .

Here's something Zilch made up during a retrofit, using the 6"x6" waveguide .

AC1895-WH Spec Sheet

AC16-WH Spec Sheet

JBL Horn Parts List

They are not symmetrical as the 2344 are not. The upper octave dispersion changes from the slot so you would be putting the best controlled axis vertical. That might work just fine for you. Take a look at the 4425 polars and read the Improvements in Monitors paper. There is quite a bit about the 2344 in there.

The problem with the smaller PT is they crossover high they won't make 1K, depends on what driver you have if it will go up high enough cleanly.

What's wrong with what you have??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Here are pics for some of Robs data & his system parts .

Hi,

Thank you for input. I happened to get my hands on a bunch of 2342's and thought I would give it a try.

I checked the old files and you are right (should have done that from the beginning…) there is a difference in pattern. -And it seems that the higher frequencies get affected the most. The improvement in my application may be smaller that I though.

The reason to change would be that the OASR falls off pretty quickly (as shown in the “two-way” thread from Zilch) and the newer horns may be better. I’m keeping the 2426 drivers in the rear channel cabinets for now, as I’m using 2451’s in all 3 fronts.

My 8” woofers have since the pictures been upgraded, as many other bits and pieces in the system (I will try to update my old HT thread later). This now gives me the ability to go higher in XO that the 1k I’m currently using. The new 8” can easily go to 2,5k.

I will try to get my hands on a newer waveguide, as suggested, and see if that improves anything.

Case closed.

Best regards and thank you
    //RoB

I am using the small 6" PT waveguide (the one pictured above) with a 2407 and got great results down to 2khz (with a 8" 708G underneath).
    These things go to 20khz without a blink, and the waveguide does a wonderful job with direcitivity up to the uhf!

Which 8" are you using?

Hi pos,

I'm using a custom version of a 8" SEAS driver. The standard version isCA22RNY. -Very linear and with strong motor. The old alu cones did not have avery nice behavior above 800Hz, albeit they had a lower fs.

With twin Sub1500 subs I don't really need that... But Ido benefit from using the 2451/2332 combination from 1,2kHz instead of 8-900Hzto avoid break-ups.

These easily goes to 2,5kHz with a very detailed and neutral sound picture. Iuse them to 1,2Khz into my 2451's in the fronts and into 2426/OASR for the rearspeakers. I auditioned several 8"'s and these came out on top. I use two in each cabinet, MTM.

-Should have used a JBL 8" if there were any... The only one I can thinkof, except the new ones in SAM2LF/Array that I have not heard, was the 8"in the LSR studio monitors and they are 2ohms. Having two of them in eachcabinet would have opened a new set of challenges...

There aren't any modern JBL 10"'s either and dual12" is to big... So this is what I found. Sound good from my perspectivecompared to other speakers I have heard. They are not, or will ever be, 1400Arrays, but with Be diaphragms and a 045 tweeter the may be at bearable distance....

PM for more details.

Best regards
    //RoB

Thread Information