Thread: L112 refurb

L112 refurb

I am doing a refurbish on my heavily used L112's The re-foam is complete the binding post have been replaced and now I would like to replace the caps while I am inside. I would like to stay as close to the original as possible. I have been searching for caps with the same value but no straight across match except the bypass. From what I have read here and other forums raising the voltage is ok ? is how far can I vary from the original uf and not make a major change? Next should I move up or down with the uf value just as example 5.6uf 400v instead of 6uf 200v. I have been looking at Dayton, erse and solen caps. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks Jerry

Voltage is not important, do not go down from the original. Want 6uF, use two 3uF in parallel. = 6uF
    You can calculate here.
    (Motstand = Resistors)
    (Kondesator = caps)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I am doing a refurbish on my heavily used L112's The re-foam is complete the binding post have been replaced and now I would like to replace the caps while I am inside. I would like to stay as close to the original as possible. I have been searching for caps with the same value but no straight across match except the bypass. From what I have read here and other forums raising the voltage is ok ? is how far can I vary from the original uf and not make a major change? Next should I move up or down with the uf value just as example 5.6uf 400v instead of 6uf 200v. I have been looking at Dayton, erse and solen caps. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks Jerry

Leave the networks alone.

Thomas

I recaped mine with all daytons.I like it and will do it again for my sons pair.

I rebuilt the crossovers in my L212 using Dayton polypropylene film caps and it sounds great. I did use values as close as possible to the originals (within 5 - 10%). IMHO polypropylene films sound a lot better than mylar film caps, which is what JBL spec'd in the orignal crossover. I would stay away from electrolytics (even non-polar versions) in the crossovers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information