Thread: Powewr to the 100's

Powewr to the 100's

Can anyone tell me if it is myth or fact that the L100's can handle more than the 50 wpc. they are rated for? If a fact, how much can they handle? Thanks for your time. D IV

They can handle a much larger amp with a little restraint on the volume knob. An amp that is too small is generally more of a danger, to the tweeters in particular.

Welcome to the forum, good to see a fellow Sarasotan here.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by drumiv View Post
    Can anyone tell me if it is myth or fact that the L100's can handle more than the 50 wpc. they are rated for? If a fact, how much can they handle? Thanks for your time. D IV
    Ran mine on a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver - well over 120w/ch - but, I barely raised the volume above the low setting ...

A wise EE engineer once told me that having watts in reserve is like having a big blockV8 in your car, but, you don't keep your foot in it all the time.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I remember auditioning them in the early 1970's; the sales rep was driving them with a ~200 WPC McIntosh amp and they really sang. He had the grills off, playing "China Grove" by the Doobies at a fairly high volume and I was really impressed by the woofers' excursion w/o distortion.

power

Thanks, Don. Would it be fair to say they can handle 150 wpc? It is good to "meet" someone else from Sarasota, our little bit of paradise. I live in Bent Tree. Nick

UOTE=Don Mascali;335524]They can handle a much larger amp with a little restraint on the volume knob. An amp that is too small is generally more of a danger, to the tweeters in particular.

Welcome to the forum, good to see a fellow Sarasotan here.[/QUOTE]

burbs

By low, 1/4 vollume? I moved here from the D.C. 'burbs. Chevy Chase. Thanks, Nick

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Ran mine on a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver - well over 120w/ch - but, I barely raised the volume above the low setting ...

A wise EE engineer once told me that having watts in reserve is like having a big blockV8 in your car, but, you don't keep your foot in it all the time.

You can use a kilowatt amp, but you cannot apply a kilowatt to the speakers. As Don mentioned, a small amp is more of a threat. If you are using a 20 watt amp and really need 50-100 watts you will drive your amplifier into distortion and the tweeters and perhaps mids and even woofers will be at great risk of damage.

On the China Grove example above, realize that song and most of that era have very little low frequency content. If you play a modern recording with gobs of deep bass you will not be able to play it subjectively as loudly without significant distortion and possible woofer failure... assuming you have a large enough amp that you don't drive the amp into clipping.

Basically you want an amp with headroom and just don't play it into distortion. One last point, on most integrated amps and receivers with a typical input you will reach clipping with the volume knob between 12:00 and 1:00. Some people think that at this level they still have headroom... they don't, when you are out of power you are out of power even though you can turn the knob considerably further driving the amp deep into distortion.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

modern recording with gobs of deep bass
    this might be an extreme example

but the best i can tell w/the bs dolby audio power meter

that came w/this laptop,

the low fz. are from maybe 25 - 40 db above the rest of the tune.

whole lotta shakin -

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/woofer_cooker.html

Check this link.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...=246&doctype=3

JBL had a warning statement something like;
    Hearing loss will occur before before physical damage to the speakers.
    I think that with a suitable amp anything that you can stand in a normal living room will be OK.
    A Radio Shack sound level meter is a good investment to check your listening levels.

OSHA exposure notes;

1910.95(b)(2)
    If the variations in noise level involve maxima at intervals of 1 second or less, it is to be considered continuous.
    TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1) __________________________________________________ ____________ | Duration per day, hours | Sound level dBA slow response ____________________________|_____________________ ____________ | 8...........................| 90 6...........................| 92 4...........................| 95 3...........................| 97 2...........................| 100 1 1/2 ......................| 102 1...........................| 105 1/2 ........................| 110 1/4 or less................| 115 ____________________________|_____________________ ___________ Footnote(1) When the daily noise exposure is composed of two or more periods of noise exposure of different levels, their combined effect should be considered, rather than the individual effect of each. If the sum of the following fractions: C(1)/T(1) + C(2)/T(2) C(n)/T(n) exceeds unity, then, the mixed exposure should be considered to exceed the limit value. Cn indicates the total time of exposure at a specified noise level, and Tn indicates the total time of exposure permitted at that level. Exposure to impulsive or impact noise should not exceed 140 dB peak sound pressure level.

Sorry, this was a chart.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    this might be an extreme example

but the best i can tell w/the bs dolby audio power meter

that came w/this laptop,

the low fz. are from maybe 25 - 40 db above the rest of the tune.

whole lotta shakin -

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/woofer_cooker.html
    Pretty scary thing to be doing so close to the San Andreas fault
    Whats playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Whats playing?

its called 'woofer cooker'

numerous videos on youtube

of young guys electrocuting

speakers w/this tune.

Last edited by tomt; 07-29-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: 465

Thread Information