Thread: L46 LF Driver 117H-1 Has No Inward Movement, Advice needed.

Question L46 LF Driver 117H-1 Has No Inward Movement, Advice needed.

Pretty much says it all. The driver seems to have normal excursion but if I push the cone inward it feels
    "bottomed out." I havent opened it up, probably couldn't fix it anyway but wanted to. Thought I'ld throw it out there anyway. I'm skilled enough to refoam, which was what I was going to do when I discoverd the issue. And I can remove and reset dust caps without it ever appearing repaired but not sure about this one.

Options: Find a working one on the site, try repair myself or send it out for a rebuild. If the latter, where would be a tried/true tech be found that is experienced with this? I live in the north east. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Desull View Post
    Pretty much says it all. The driver seems to have normal excursion but if I push the cone inward it feels
    "bottomed out." I havent opened it up, probably couldn't fix it anyway but wanted to. Thought I'ld throw it out there anyway. I'm skilled enough to refoam, which was what I was going to do when I discovered the issue. And I can remove and reset dust caps without it ever appearing repaired but not sure about this one.

Options: Find a working one on the site, try repair myself or send it out for a rebuild. If the latter, where would be a tried/true tech be found that is experienced with this? I live in the north east. Thanks all!

Have you checked your amp to see if it has any problems?

How did you "discover" the issue with your LF driver?
    Is it a purchased speaker or have you had it all along?

If it was played with failed surrounds, the coils could have rubbed the magnet in the gap and worn off
    some of the varnish, causing lowered resistance and perhaps an overheating problem.

Its possible you overheated the voice coil in your woofer,
    which could soften/melt the varnish holding the coils in place.

When you powered down, the varnish solidified, locking your voice coil in place.

Just a thought - I got a pair of L60Ts a few years back that had a frozen woofer -
    I basically just replaced the driver.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for responding. ... these I picked up some time ago and have been "working" (so called) on them for about 7-8 months. Basically they've just been sitting and never part of my system so I have no history on them. Oddly, the driver I did refoam was the worst of the 2. The one that's frozen so-to-speak has nearly a decent surround. At least it was all there.

Interesting theory on the voice coil. Quite possible. Along with the speaker/cab came a length of monster cable the likes of I've never seen! Thick around as 2 pencils side by side. Really??!....So who knows what these have been thru. The crossovers show no evidence of excessive heat, no bulging caps. Otherwise near perfect physical shape and why I picked them up. Thanks for the info.

Should I expect these will be hard to find on the bay?

Thread Information